What is a Visual Spatial IQ test?

nec209

Is Visual Spatial IQ test to test how well you can remember shapes? A person that does well on Visual Spatial IQ test will do well drawings, art and architecture drawings. A person with low Visual Spatial IQ test will do really bad with drawings, art and architecture drawings.

Why are some people really bad at Visual Spatial IQ test? And other people can remember lots of detail and really good at shapes in their head?

Some people are really good at doing drawings and art work.

Can Visual Spatial IQ test be improved by teaching your brain to remember detail?

One of the things of a good visual-spatial ability is the ability to picture a 2D or 3D object or pattern and rotate it in your mind. A typical one in tests is being presented with a sequence of dot patterns and you have to choose from a selection which will be the next one in the sequence.

One of the things of a good visual-spatial ability is the ability to picture a 2D or 3D object or pattern and rotate it in your mind. A typical one in tests is being presented with a sequence of dot patterns and you have to choose from a selection which will be the next one in the sequence.

When I studied chemistry, we were supposed to buy a kit to build 3D models of molecules so we could understand the structure (and see the difference between stereoisomers which may be, for example, mirror images). I never used mine as I was able to visualise the structure perfectly well. Even though I cannot tell the difference between left and right!

But problems involving the next one in a sequence usually leave me completely stumped.

When I studied chemistry, we were supposed to buy a kit to build 3D models of molecules so we could understand the structure (and see the difference between stereoisomers which may be, for example, mirror images). I never used mine as I was able to visualise the structure perfectly well. Even though I cannot tell the difference between left and right!

But problems involving the next one in a sequence usually leave me completely stumped.

They used to leave me stumped too but once you know the possible variations in any given style of pattern it seems straightforward... it can be learned. Presented with a novel pattern style I'm often buggered because I don't know where/how the translation is occuring.

Edited by StringJunky

They used to leave me stumped too but once you know the possible variations in any given style of pattern it seems straightforward... it can be learned. Presented with a novel pattern style I'm often buggered because I don't know where/how the translation is occuring.

That is interesting because they seem to be a common thing in IQ tests I have seen.

(Which confirms my opinion of IQ tests!)

That is interesting because they seem to be a common thing in IQ tests I have seen.

(Which confirms my opinion of IQ tests!)

To be good at them you have to do them... the more you do them the better you get because you already have the prerequisite knowledge. If you don't 'get' a test sample it's because you don't understand the principle being used and principles can be learned. The only caveat I can think of is if your micro-memory (very short term memory, analogous to computer RAM) is limited you'll never be able to do some things because you can't hold enough information simultaneously to do it successively in memory. There is a limit to the number of objects you can permute (juggle) between them simultaneously; some can handle more than others.

Edited by StringJunky

How does this help with doing drawings?

Some people have geographic memory and can remember lots of detail and these people are really good at doing drawings and picking out images that look almost the same.

Other people are terrible at drawings.

I think drawings, painting, arts, architecture, autocad program, computer graphics design are all art of the visual-spatial ability IQ.

How does this help with doing drawings?

Some people have geographic memory and can remember lots of detail and these people are really good at doing drawings and picking out images that look almost the same.

Other people are terrible at drawings.

I think drawings, painting, arts, architecture, autocad program, computer graphics design are all art of the visual-spatial ability IQ.

People that can draw/paint etc well from real-life would have good V-S ability, I would have thought, because they are translating 3D onto a 2D plane that, if they are good, can be intuitively translated to give the impression of 3D by someone viewing it.

Edited by StringJunky

• 2 weeks later...

People that can draw/paint etc well from real-life would have good V-S ability, I would have thought, because they are translating 3D onto a 2D plane that, if they are good, can be intuitively translated to give the impression of 3D by someone viewing it.

It just that some people are really good at drawings and paintings!! Some people are below average, poor and other people really good!! So I was wondering if the Visual Spatial IQ is part needed for doing drawings and paintings!! And the Visual Spatial IQ plays the part why some people are below average, poor and other people really good at doing drawings and paintings!!