• Stargate: SG1
    • Stargate: Atlantis
    • Other

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Choosing a "best"science fiction series is rather tough. What does one base it on? Hard science (1st season of Seaquest), human drama (B5), clever use of mixed genera (Firefly), excellent writing (Dr. Who, Okay, not all the time, I haven't seen the show since the guy after Tom Baker regenerated) or re-living my childhood (Classic Trek).

Gah.

I'd say Classic Trek at the moment because of fond childhood memories. :)

• 2 months later...
Guest Belknap

Andromeda!!

I really liked Farscape, Space: Above and Beyond, Earth 2, Battlestar Galactica and Space:1999, but Andromeda I have to say has an edge over the other.

• 1 month later...

StarGate`s good, we like that too.

I like some of the old classics though, Outer Limits, and Twighlight Zone, even the old black and white ones.

so I guess my vote would be for Other (maybe in the Boring catagory too).

Thinking back on it, the twilight zone and outer limits (the older ones) DO count as Sci-Fi, don't they?

so does sliders

my vote goes toward other, for all three of the ones I just watched. Of course sliders wasn't as good as the other two, especially since it's my mom's favorite show ever, but it was still pretty good

EDIT:

who voted for Lexx?

• 7 months later...

TOS is the greatest, at least if you're under the influence and looking to be entertained. I mean "Arena" is a classic. A fortune.....in precious stones......but I would trade them all for a hand phaser.......or a good solid club. :)

ST: TNG for me.

I don't like the dark, dystopian stories.

Star Trek is very much about exploring, meeting new life forms. Both things that appeal to me a lot!

It's not a perfect universe, but they try to uphold nice ideals. Equality. Peace. Non-interference (Prime Directive). It's also quite philosophical compared to most of the other shows. I agree that B5 has many of the same qualities, but it's not quite up there in my book...

But I'm also a very visual person. The Star Trek universe, the ships, the uniforms and pretty much everything else, are clean and very nicely designed!

I don't believe in the fanciful shapes you find in so many of the other series (the ship in Andromeda being a particularly horrible example!).

Lexx is fun and a bit sexy (Wist anyone? Hehe!), so it's in a different league. Humour always wins with me, but it's not ST.

ST: VOY is almost up there with TNG, but it didn't have quite as good a cast as TNG.

The doctor and Neelix are two of the exceptions. It did look better though. The beautiful visual style of TNG was refined further, and lighting improved as well.

It's interesting to see how they've reused the TNG character styles for many of the VOY equivalents.

Enterprise is strange. You get the impression that they're in a sub rather than a starship. The cast is not right at all. Again, the medical doctor is the exception, but that's probably just my need for humour shining through once more...

ST: DS9... No, not good at all. I really don't understand it. Weak characters and poor stories for the most part. I suppose it's missing that element of exploration and adventure that I like so much.

ST: TOS... Funny and somewhat entertaining, but only a very small number of episodes are any good. It's very hard to see past all the 60s stuff...

SG1 and X-Files don't qualify as sci-fi in my world, but I guess it's up to anyone to decide that.

Of the two, only X-Files is worth watching. X-Files is, in my opinion THE best show ever produced. But that only goes for the first few seasons. I haven't even seen the ones with the new guy. The chemistry between Mulder and Scully was half the fun, so without that, the show's nothing.

The scenography, photography, lighting, editing, soundtrack, mood and cast are all absolutely outstanding. But, as I said, not quite sci-fi to me...

SG1? - Silly silly stuff. Truly weird.

I haven't seen Farscape, Earth: Final Conflict or Firefly, so I can't comment on those.

Can't say I've even heard of them!

SG1 and X-Files don't qualify as sci-fi in my world, but I guess it's up to anyone to decide that.

I don't see how 'Teleporting to alien worlds using alien technology' and 'Investigating a global conspiracy involving aliens and alien technology' could count as anything but science fiction.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...