• Stargate: SG1
    • Stargate: Atlantis
    • Other

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey what about Red Dwarf. That was bloody funny I tell you
Yes, but as I am sure you are aware it was a documentary.icon7.gif (The proof of that being that it is the only program to come up with a credible explanation for the assassination of JFK.)

• 3 weeks later...

Space above and Beyond was neat, although short lived.

My votes go to DS-9, B5, although I barely saw it, and ST:TNG for atmosphere, originality and the wicked cast, respectively.

I grew up with TNG and have tonnes of collectables from my childhood that I just couldn't bring myself to throw out, so TNG it is.

• 5 months later...
Firefly is the best

it got knocked down' date=' cancelled

but the show is just too good, thanks to the effort of the staff, actors, fans and other crew it will be making a big comeback

Firefly will return as the movie Serenity !! Go see it ![/quote']I just had to bump this thread after my best bud bought me the Firefly series on DVD. I absolutely love this show! Funnier than a tornado in a sack of flour and good science as well. I particularly like the fact that no sound travels outside the ship in flight. The silence of space actually adds an ominous note I find refreshing.

The cast works flawlessly together. I can't believe Fox borked this one up so much! They actually aired it out of sequence, starting with an episode they felt had the most action, despite the fact that Joss Whedon had done a 2-hour pilot that started things off nicely. Fox also did little to market the show, even after throwing big bucks at Whedon to create it. No wonder it didn't survive the ratings crunch.

I can't wait for the full-length movie Serenity coming out in late summer. If you haven't seen the series yet I highly recommend it.

I just had to bump this thread after my best bud bought me the Firefly series on DVD. I absolutely love this show! Funnier than a tornado in a sack of flour and good science as well. I particularly like the fact that no sound travels outside the ship in flight. The silence of space actually adds an ominous note I find refreshing.

The cast works flawlessly together. I can't believe Fox borked this one up so much! They actually aired it out of sequence' date=' starting with an episode they felt had the most action, despite the fact that Joss Whedon had done a 2-hour pilot that started things off nicely. Fox also did little to market the show, even after throwing big bucks at Whedon to create it. No wonder it didn't survive the ratings crunch.

I can't wait for the full-length movie [i']Serenity[/i] coming out in late summer. If you haven't seen the series yet I highly recommend it.

Couldn't agree more...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest n5-kopele

Lexx of course! True it had a poor 4th season (except for some really really great episodes as Vlad, Fluff Daddy, Magic Baby, 769, Dutch Thread, The Game, Haley's Comet, Apocalexx Now, Lyekka vs Japan, Yo Way Yo), but it's the best, most original, innovative show on sci-fi ever! I'm sick of main-stream ordinary dumm shows like the soap opera Farscape and the simply dumm Star Treks (most of them). Second comes The X-Files - another classy, innovative show. It also had a lot of poor episodes, but they were passable. Too bad the last one was repetition of previos episodes and it was left too open.

Yes, but as I am sure you are aware it was a documentary.http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif[/img'] (The proof of that being that it is the only program to come up with a credible explanation for the assassination of JFK.)

Lol. You're joking I hope...

I voted SG-1. I just like it. I don't like the newer episodes... I loved O'Neil. He was funny, and a great leader.

Star Trek: TOS Come on: they practically invented the whole TV sci fi genre. Pioneers always look clumsy and hokey and dated in hindsight. Give the old folks the respect they deserve. Hendrix couldn't play guitar worth a crap. But he is still the most original guitar player of all time. Ditto for Star Trek. And the Actors too: Kirk made the series possible. Spock and Bones were essential, and Scotty was the perfect engineer.

Star Trek: TNG This was the peak of the polished genre. Professional, convincing, powerful and modern International? Intergalactic in political scope. The climax, while it was all still fresh and new. Picard was the only style of captain that could fill Kirk's void. Sadly, the other characters are mere cameos except Warf. Data was too artificial.

Star Trek: DS9 A failure. The genre had been played out. This was just the typical sequel quality, not surprising but still disappointing. The best it had to offer were the Ferengi.

Star Trek: Voyager With the baton passed on to feminazis, the series was finally irrevocably destroyed. The whole thing had far too much feminist/gay agenda to even be convincing on its face, let alone break any new political ground or push the envelope. Everything has been done at this point.

Star Trek: Enterprise Never even bothered to look. Let good things die with dignity.

Babylon 5 Too subliminally Christian/liberal to appeal to the intellect at all. Whatever hope lay in having earthlings as a dying race vying for a position as a kind of 'Jewish bookkeepers' of the universe just lacked any plausibility. As if the universe would need us at that point.

Inevitably all the shows got contaminated with 'pro-American' propaganda for Imperialist world domination disguised as 'benevelant teacher/guide/landlord'. Time to vomit.

X-Files Finally something with a bit of edge and teeth, at least a first, until it got corned up. But no points for originality. Nothing touches the original Outer Limits as the dark side of Sci Fi. It was all invented there. Even Twilight Zone had to borrow.

Lexx (the Penthouse version. But too tamed down to have any real cutting edge.) Pre-Gelded by censors and markets.

Stargate: etc. More American Army morale boosting garbage. Feeding into America's worst faults (xenophobia and racism), it just sucked.

Others. Why bother?

SG1... or Atlantis??? How can one choose?!?!? SG1 has (or had :-( ) O'Niell, Daniel and Thor (you gotta love Thor, just gotta), but Atlantis has the cranky Canadian guy :P , and this series is at least an attempt to explore uncharted waters. And by finally "getting rid" of that Ford guy, they open up all new possibilities for a character with some depth. Oh, Puddlejumpers. I love Puddlejumpers. Hmm, all this ranting, and I still have yet to choose....

EDIT:Had to vote for Atlantis, it was under-represented :-(

Star Trek: TOS [/b'] Come on: they practically invented the whole TV sci fi genre.

Errr... no.

Pioneers always look clumsy and hokey and dated in hindsight. Give the old folks the respect they deserve. Hendrix couldn't play guitar worth a crap. But he is still the most original guitar player of all time. Ditto for Star Trek. And the Actors too: Kirk made the series possible. Spock and Bones were essential, and Scotty was the perfect engineer.

It's true that TOS didn't age very well, but it's also true that even at the time it was really bad television, despite being enjoyable.

I personally thought the TOS actors were all a lot better on the big screen.

Star Trek: TNG This was the peak of the polished genre. Professional, convincing, powerful and modern International? Intergalactic in political scope.

I found the first 4 seasons to be trite, preachy, and to be honest quite crude, from a political and/or moral standpoint. I cite "the planet of the savage black people with tribal customs and dress, who like to fight to the death due to their lack of moral fibre and misguided honorifics" seen in Code of Honour as evidence.

It wasn't until the last three seasons that they started really crafting the stories properly.

Star Trek: DS9 A failure. The genre had been played out. This was just the typical sequel quality, not surprising but still disappointing. The best it had to offer were the Ferengi.

Agree up until the point where they started copying Babylon 5, and the Dominion War kicked off big-style.

Star Trek: Voyager With the baton passed on to feminazis, the series was finally irrevocably destroyed. The whole thing had far too much feminist/gay agenda to even be convincing on its face, let alone break any new political ground or push the envelope.

What? I've seen every episode of Voyager and I credit myself with enough powers of observation to say that I think I'd have noticed such agendas being pushed.

Voyager did nothing that grossly exceeded the original principles of universal equality that Roddenberry wanted in his series, and I don't recall any stories about gay characters (unless you count temporary body-swapping, in which case DS9's examples are far more conspicuous thanks to the Trill.)

Everything has been done at this point.

I disagree. Voyager had some unique moments. Few and far between, but they were there. The worst thing about it was that the filler episodes were always so lacklustre they could actually get painfully boring.

The good thing about Voyager is that the rewrites of old episodes were done carefully, unlike Enterprise where only the character names changed.

Star Trek: Enterprise Never even bothered to look. Let good things die with dignity.

Don't ever watch it. Seriously.

Babylon 5 Too subliminally Christian/liberal to appeal to the intellect at all. Whatever hope lay in having earthlings as a dying race vying for a position as a kind of 'Jewish bookkeepers' of the universe just lacked any plausibility. As if the universe would need us at that point.

It was a lot of fun though, if you like cool battles. JMS was not stingy with the eye candy.

Stargate: etc. More American Army morale boosting garbage. Feeding into America's worst faults (xenophobia and racism), it just sucked.

Like most American sci fi, it got better once it had survived the "first three season gauntlet" and the studio had the confidence to put more money in.

Seasons 7-9 are rather spiffy.

Others. Why bother?

Firefly was actually quite novel.

Atlantis is an opportunity to showcase stories that weren't workable in the SG1 universe.

Farscape was pure escapism, and the viewer knew that anything could happen.

Star Trek TOS...everything else pales in insignificance, if no-one can see why the original is a work of comedy genius then please check out episodes 'I-Mudd' and 'Trouble with Tribbles'.

Oh...and X files was watched religiously when I was younger, but I agree that the later episodes were really running out of ideas. It's a conspiracy of a conspiracy of a conspiracy...yawn. The last series was just daft.

• 1 month later...
hey what about Red Dwarf. That was bloody funny I tell you Yes, but as I am sure you are aware it was a documentary. (The proof of that being that it is the only program to come up with a credible explanation for the assassination of JFK.)

Thanks you guys, but why is there such a lack of recognition for Red Dwarf? Only bloodhound and Ophiolite mentioned possibly the best comedy/scifi series ever? C'mon, where's Red Dwarf's fans? Ok. I'll settle for this. Even if you don't like it, at least motion that you have either heard of it, or maybe watched it once or twice.

what about Quantum Leap and Sliders?

QL was a rather long running series, and, sliders had a pretty neat story.

But, I'd have to go with Stargate, but I wish they would have kept Richard dean Anderson in the Mcguyver character, "Hates guns, uses duct tape and pocket knife to destroy Gould mother ship"

Now thats a show