anybody knows any transfinite geometry i could check?

farolero

more art dealing with infinity and transfinity :)

385_zpsg73nxm6s.jpg

dada_zpsr9zsxjvi.jpg

Imagen0539_zpsfaa7vetg.jpg

crco_zpskw0wzory.jpg

and one not mine :)

main_buzz_larger.jpg

curiosuly enough what i express here can not be expressed neither with numbers in base 10 nor with numbers in base 26, letters

thats why i hope someone can point me to works on transfinity that re gemoetrical not numberical(from numb, cloud)

4345ff498abf688bf1ff0bf67f91b1f3.jpg

here dealing with transfinity geometrically, you cant handle this with numb ers

IMG_20170113_160444_zpshhw0dqzc.jpg

!

Moderator Note

No - Sorry. This is a maths forum not a "visual representation of a stream of consciousness" forum. Members are not here to interpret vague illustrations interspersed with mathematic buzzwords.

Please post a question or debating point that members can read and respond to; do not continue with this line of posting. I will lock this thread if this form of post continues

Do not respond to this moderation within the thread

i know of aleph the infinite as transfinite applied to numbers but this doesnt interest me much, im interested in the geometry aspect of it

so the question is:

does anybody know any transfinite geometry i could check?

Edited by farolero

i know of aleph the infinite as transfinite applied to numbers but this doesnt interest me much, im interested in the geometry aspect of it

so the question is:

Well here is an offer to test if you are serious.

There used to be a brand of liquid coffee essence called camp coffee.

It came in a bottle and on the label was a picture of a butler holding a silver tray with a coffee cup and a bottle of camp coffee on it.

I used to wonder what was on the picture on the label on that bottle on the tray and if the pictures went on forever, with smaller and smaller pictures of the coffee bottle.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=camp+coffee

This type if geometry is known as scale invariant geometry and is very important in modern theory.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=scale+independent+geometry

Over to you.

:)

so the question is:

strange loop

A strange loop arises when, by moving only upwards or downwards through a hierarchical system, one finds oneself back where one started.

Strange loops may involve self-reference and paradox. The concept of a strange loop was proposed and extensively discussed by Douglas Hofstadter in Gödel, Escher, Bach, and is further elaborated in Hofstadter's book I Am a Strange Loop, published in 2007.

A tangled hierarchy is a hierarchical consciousness system in which a strange loop appears.

Examples of strange loops that Hofstadter offers include: many of the works of M. C. Escher, the information flow network between DNA and enzymes through protein synthesis and DNA replication, and self-referential Gödelian statements in formal systems.

In I Am a Strange Loop, Hofstadter defines strange loops as follows:

And yet when I say "strange loop", I have something else in mind — a less concrete, more elusive notion. What I mean by "strange loop" is — here goes a first stab, anyway — not a physical circuit but an abstract loop in which, in the series of stages that constitute the cycling-around, there is a shift from one level of abstraction (or structure) to another, which feels like an upwards movement in a hierarchy, and yet somehow the successive "upward" shifts turn out to give rise to a closed cycle. That is, despite one's sense of departing ever further from one's origin, one winds up, to one's shock, exactly where one had started out. In short, a strange loop is a paradoxical level-crossing feedback loop. (pp. 101-102)

300px-DrawingHands.jpg

Note: Escher's Drawing Hands appears in Hofstadter's book just below the quote as above on page 102. Immediately following Escher's drawing in the book, Hofstadter expounds on the 'transfinite' nature of the drawing and its relationship to strange loopage. Check it...check it good.

Edited by Acme

on the label on that bottle on the tray and if the pictures went on forever, with smaller and smaller pictures of the coffee bottle.

thanks for the heads up:

im not allowed to post it here the image i did but you can render infinity in your screen with a webcam in less than 20 secs:

connect the webcam and show output on your screen

aim webcam to screen output

play with infinity

would this be a strange loop?

edit:

btw what you describe about that coffe causes me a strange feeling of being familiar with that brand and dejavu

Edited by farolero

thanks for the heads up:

im not allowed to post it here the image i did but you can render infinity in your screen with a webcam in less than 20 secs:

play with infinity

edit:

btw what you describe about that coffe causes me a strange feeling of being familiar with that brand and dejavu

Yes a modern version can be accomplished with a video camera and a screen.

In fact both the infinite regression that is described and the opposite infinite expansion play huge roles in modern theory.

Infinite regression leads to chaotic behaviour and infinite expansion to positive feedback.

Another entirely separate case is geometry behind the stereographic projection, non linear Riemannian geometry and the so called extended complex plane.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=extended+complex+plane

Edited by studiot

thanks for the heads up:

play with infinity

It is a feedback loop, but not necessarily strange. Hofstadter describes the camera/screen setup in detail and differentiates what is seen and how it is generated and discusses the implications. In fact, Chapter 5 is titled On Video Feedback and it explores the phenomenon in depth. On the cover of his book is one such image and starting after page 204 there are a couple unnumbered pages of 16 color images illustrating different video feedback effects.

Hofstadter jealously guards his copyright which is why the Wiki articles on his work are short and few quotes from his writings are found elsewhere. There is no substitute for reading I Am A Strange Loop and Gödel, Escher, Bach as they are logical arguments in toto, just as are mathematical proofs. Neither book is for the faint of heart.

• 3 weeks later...

edit:

how about this to blow your mind:

hughes_04.jpg

IMG_20170205_233017_zpscpidp9rl.jpg

edit:

i think the only way to reconcile this perspective paradox is by assuming einstein was right and spacetime is curved while we deceiptfully percive it as euclidean

now this painting curving it makes back sense:

IMG_20170206_002455_zpskis3z8e2.jpg

Edited by 2blade