D&D = Homocide?!

Kindria2000

Ok, I was watching an episode of unsolved mysteries a while ago, and it stated that people who play games like Magic, D&D, Call of Cthullu, etc. were more likely to commit homocide! Were do they get the nerve to say something so unarguably stupid! Now I dont know about any of you, but i've been playing RPG's for years and i have no desire whatsoever to commit homoci....urk....kiiillllllll...

Perhaps it's only true because they say it is - they say it's true, and the game players get so pissed off because it isn't true, and so the game players go on killing sprees against the people who say it leads to homicidal behavior. :)

Ok, I was watching an episode of unsolved mysteries a while ago, and it stated that people who play games like Magic, D&D, Call of Cthullu, etc. were more likely to commit homocide! Were do they get the nerve to say something so unarguably stupid! Now I dont know about any of you, but i've been playing RPG's for years and i have no desire whatsoever to commit homoci....urk....kiiillllllll[/i']...

Hypemeister infotainment using a logical fallacy in a story? You'll excuse me if I don't fall down in shock.

It's a correlation vs causality issue, anyway. Even if there is a correlation, there's no evidence of causality presented.

its not that all people who play such games are murderers. its that the personality of a murderer a murderer is also a personality that likes to play dnd.

its sort of like if serial killers went on runs everyday to stay in shape for their killings these people would be saying runners are more likely to be serial killers.

you can spin data around anyway you like. you could also state it as people who dont run are less likely to become serial killers.

Ok, I was watching an episode of unsolved mysteries a while ago, and it stated that people who play games like Magic, D&D, Call of Cthullu, etc. were more likely to commit homocide! Were do they get the nerve to say something so unarguably stupid! Now I dont know about any of you, but i've been playing RPG's for years and i have no desire whatsoever to commit homoci....urk....kiiillllllll[/i']...

Clearly, they've been reading Jack Chick :D

O4FS! it really bugs me when religiouse people moan about role-playing because it has pretend gods in it. theyre PRETEND.

PRE-TEND!!!

related to D&D --> homicide, does anyone know the validity of the rumor that someone hired a hit-man to assasinate someone whos charechter killed his carechtor in ultima online?

I'm sure it's not anymore dangerous than playing Grand Theift Auto. There was a book (forgot what it was called) a kid brought a gun to school and shot some people, the book argued that he got his shooting skills from playing video games.

D&D probably gives you some statagy skills to you can kill people better :P

I can imagine a homicidal D&D player, "Yes, I got em, now I'm a level 9 RANGER!!!"

I'm sure it's not anymore dangerous than playing Grand Theift Auto. There was a book (forgot what it was called) a kid brought a gun to school and shot some people' date=' the book argued that he got his [i']shooting skills[/i] from playing video games.

I can imagine a homicidal D&D player, "Yes, I got em, now I'm a level 9 RANGER!!!"

interesting...

the only game i have ever played that might help with shooting skills would be duckhunt, seeing as how its one of the only ones with an actual gun. the others are all arcade games. you dont get shooting skill from WASD and a mouse... if you do console mode, joysticks arent exactly gats either.

such stupid arguments the conservative moms try to make...

I'm sure it's not anymore dangerous than playing Grand Theift Auto. There was a book (forgot what it was called) a kid brought a gun to school and shot some people' date=' the book argued that he got his [i']shooting skills[/i] from playing video games.

I've seena few clips from "Reno 911" that feature D&D players and they are a laugh-riot. Here's one

"I'm wearing boots of escaping!" :)

O4FS! it really bugs me when religiouse people moan about role-playing because it has pretend gods in it. theyre PRETEND.

PRE-TEND!!!

related to D&D --> homicide' date=' does anyone know the validity of the rumor that someone hired a hit-man to assasinate someone whos charechter killed his carechtor in ultima online?[/quote']

So what you're saying is that if they previously played a lot of D&D then they have an increased tendency to kill?

Just because they say that it makes you more likely to commit homicide doesn't mean that everybody who plays it will kill somebody.

Don't get offended by that. They don't mean that every single person will go off and kill someone.

No' date=' but they mean there is a cause and effect that hasn't been established. Even if it's true that there is a higher homicide rate among D&D players, that's not the same as saying that playing D&D [i']makes[/i] you more likely to commit homicide.

It ignores the possibility of some common condition that gives you the propensity to do both. Already-homicidal people may just like D&D.

to be honest, i can easaly believe a possible link between the two. to play D&D, you need to be able to temporaraly slightly detach from reality, and if you can do that then i guess its more likely that any homosidal tendancies will manifest themselves, with the whol 'i can detach from reality' aspect, so i guess both a tendancy to play D&D and a tendancy to kill could in some instanses both be the effects of a common cause.

what pisses me off is when christians try and claim that D&D is inherintly evil, like in in my memorys link. grrrrrrrrrrrrr...

There are consious games and subconcious games. Realityvsfantasy. When the players subconciousness goes from reality to fantasy, its the games fault? How can we judge the player if they programs thereselfs to the game. There are those who swear lifes a game. Theres news. Did the creators of D&D think about the players going from reality to fantasy? Then lts blamed on the creator of the games. We are totally responsible for our on actions, except when we go from reality to fantasy.

pljames

to play D&D, you need to be able to temporaraly slightly detach from reality

Yeah, when I got on Halo 2 sprees I have to get used to real life, I find myself trying to puase from time to time, or making sure that I move slow enough not to show up on radar :P

This only happens late at night though.