what does the biosphere consists of?

paragaster

Actually I know what biosphere consists of. I mean there is more to the biosphere than flora and fauna. And humans. Does the earth have a particular signature? Can Earth be located from any point in the Universe because of this signature?

No, but one can conclude that without without delving into any of the details you imply. It's a matter of resolution of measurement. We can barely detect the presence of exoplanets close by in our own galaxy. What would be a characteristic signature one can discern from spectroscopy of our planet, or some other detection method? How close do you have to be to make that measurement? If it's limited, then it can't be identified from "any point in the universe". The diffraction limit of optics implies that you couldn't resolve a measurement of earth at some distance.

(on a more pedantic note, nothing is going to be able to be determined if we are outside the arbitrary point's visible universe)

• 2 weeks later...

I want to know the reason life has originated on Earth. It is certainly something more than Physics and Chemistry of this planet. Scientists have conclusively failed to create any micro organism imitating conditions on Earth when life forms originated. There is something more to evolution. The discovery of this force will surely be startling.

Too close to a star, you burn. Too far... freeze. Diverse biology can only occur within an upper and lower limit of temperature and gases.

While that might describe other planets, I'd dare say the moon has a considerable role in life on earth.

After all, reproductive beings have lunar oriented menstrual periods and flora and fauna are dependent on tides and/or diurnal cycles.

I want to know the reason life has originated on Earth.

A worthy goal.

It is certainly something more than Physics and Chemistry of this planet.

This is a strong assertion. Do you have any actual evidence to support the claim?

Keep in mind that many scientists have offered a variety of plausible explanations of how life may have arisen, all of which use only physics and chemistry in their explanations.

Scientists have conclusively failed to create any micro organism imitating conditions on Earth when life forms originated.

I am not aware of any scientist that has ever attempted to create a micro-organism by imitating primeval conditions. (Feel free to demonstrate that I am wrong.) You seem to be misinterpreting the sort of experiment that began with the Miller/Urey work in the 1950s. If that is what you are thinking of, then I suggest your background in the subject is not sufficiently strong for you to have a worthwhile opinion on it.

There is something more to evolution.

Evolution and abiogenesis are related, but wholly different subjects. Again, you are revealing a very limited grasp of the basics. I understand your interest in the subject. It is a fascinating one. However, you need to get a more solid background before making wild ass guesses.

The discovery of this force will surely be startling.

Since there is almost certainly no such force, its discovery would be more than startling.

The web of life on Earth has been dismantled by pollution. Many species are extinct or on the path to extinction. Still humans thrive on Earth. It would also be intresting to know the part our Moon plays on the life on Earth. I found out that it is older than the Earth. Is it possible that just as we have waves(longitudnal and transverse) in Physics we may have a wave(bio-wave) in Biology? Do decaying atoms of heavier elements play a role in birth of new species?

It would also be intresting to know the part our Moon plays on the life on Earth.

Tides have an effect on organisms living in tidal regions. That is probably about it.

I found out that it is older than the Earth.

That sounds implausible.

Is it possible that just as we have waves(longitudnal and transverse) in Physics we may have a wave(bio-wave) in Biology?

A wave? What sort of wave?

Do decaying atoms of heavier elements play a role in birth of new species?

That is one source of natural background radiation, which is one source of mutations that can lead to variations in the genome, which is required for evolution. So a very small effect.

Tides have an effect on organisms living in tidal regions. That is probably about it.

That sounds implausible.

A wave? What sort of wave?

That is one source of natural background radiation, which is one source of mutations that can lead to variations in the genome, which is required for evolution. So a very small effect.

There are also animals such as moths that use the moon as a convenient point of reference for navigation purposes. I wouldn't be quick to dismiss the moon as being influential in various ways, but certainly not in any mystical way, obviously.

Hi Strange I have always understood that the moon stabilizes the earth and limits the amount of precession or wobble thus giving us more stable seasons and that would be pretty important. But while looking for a link for you I found some counter evidence.

http://www.astrobio.net/news-exclusive/the-odds-for-life-on-a-moonless-earth/

From the article

While Earths moon does provide some stability, the new data reveals that the pull of other planets orbiting the Sun especially Jupiter would keep Earth from swinging too wildly, despite its chaotic evolution.

"Because Jupiter is the most massive, it really defines the average plane of the solar system," said Barnes.

Without a moon, Barnes and his collaborators have determined that Earths obliquity would only vary ten to twenty degrees over a half a billion years.

That doesnt sound like much, but the changes of one to two degrees the planet presently exhibits are thought to be partly responsible for the Ice Ages.

According to Barnes, the present shift is "a small effect, but in combination with Earths present climate, it causes big changes."

Still, a ten degree change is not a huge problem when it comes to life. "(It) would have effects, but not preclude the development of large scale, intelligent life."

I don't know but 10 degrees sounds pretty big to me. Edited by Outrider

And the puddle said, "Isn't it remarkable I should have found a hole that is just the right shape for me?"

Hello Ophiolite I read your comment a couple of times and still can't keen the relevance to my post. I was responding to Strange's reply to this:

It would also be intresting to know the part our Moon plays on the life on Earth.

I was not implying that life could not originate on a moonless planet but rather the stable seasons we enjoy on earth are condusive to life as we know it and also IMO more important than the tide, much more.

If on the other hand you were musing about what a mud puddle would think of the moon's importance for it's continued survival I imagine it would say "Moon? We don't need no friken moon.

Hello Ophiolite I read your comment a couple of times and still can't keen the relevance to my post.

“This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in — an interesting hole I find myself in — fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.” Douglas Adam, Salmon of Doubt

“This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in — an interesting hole I find myself in — fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.” Douglas Adam, Salmon of Doubt

And it's still not revelant to what I posted or the link I gave.

I was not implying that life could not originate on a moonless planet but rather the stable seasons we enjoy on earth are condusive to life as we know it and also IMO more important than the tide, much more.

If Life On Earth is considered a Creativity, did this rock called Earth create the Life on Earth. Life cannot sustain itself. We humans are a threat to many species. The numbers of each species is going down whereas human population is on rise. Only humans hold the key to life? Did humans originate on Earth?

Only life span of our Sun is predictable. Other stars are instable and may end life at any point of time. There may be other solar systems like ours, they may also be habitable, but they do not hold promise as their Sun may end its life at any point of time

Edited by paragaster