Future of self-driving automobiles...

Externet

One that updates programming to go significantly faster (within reason) if destination is the emergency room.

One that transports kids without an adult, but which requires authentication of someone approved on the receiving end to get them out of the car.

The snow idea above is another great one.

Edited by iNow

An AI driver that allows occupants to rubberneck or not, and selects a rubbernecking lane or not, so people who who want to move quickly can avoid slow lanes. Since accidents should be rare, I expect there will be many who want to see whatever carnage occurs.

With today's technology, building rails of any kind will be a boondoggle when the entire transportation system is on the verge of being automated. I can see much of present day roadways being enclosed and restricted to automated vehicles only to enable speeds of 200+ mph (this will also eliminate problems due to weather). It would also be easier to power the transportation system with renewable energy sources, thus converting almost 1/4 of our energy use. How soon this might all happen is anyone's guess, inertia is sometimes difficult to overcome but I hope it is sooner rather than later.

With today's technology, building rails of any kind will be a boondoggle when the entire transportation system is on the verge of being automated. I can see much of present day roadways being enclosed and restricted to automated vehicles only to enable speeds of 200+ mph (this will also eliminate problems due to weather). It would also be easier to power the transportation system with renewable energy sources, thus converting almost 1/4 of our energy use. How soon this might all happen is anyone's guess, inertia is sometimes difficult to overcome but I hope it is sooner rather than later.

Rail is expensive to build, but the cost to ship heavy things is less per mile than other modes of transportation. However, AI drivers may be able to tailgate safely, and avoid much of the air friction that limits fuel efficiency in autos. Moreover, electric flying cars with autopilots may become practical, which is another mode of transportation that allows high speeds without building an expensive cover over roadways. Additionally, the hyperloop offers some things beyond covered roadways. I think there will be multiple modes of transportation, and the one used will be suited to the travel that occurs.

Rail is expensive to build, but the cost to ship heavy things is less per mile than other modes of transportation. However, AI drivers may be able to tailgate safely, and avoid much of the air friction that limits fuel efficiency in autos. Moreover, electric flying cars with autopilots may become practical, which is another mode of transportation that allows high speeds without building an expensive cover over roadways. Additionally, the hyperloop offers some things beyond covered roadways. I think there will be multiple modes of transportation, and the one used will be suited to the travel that occurs.

I basically agree with this, Ed. One thing about enclosing the roadways is that it might be done with solar panels to power the whole system or homes and businesses.

Or use a ride-sharing car and not worry about (or pay for) parking at all. Johnny Cabs will be everywhere, at least in higher-density areas (absent legislation to block them)

Exactly how large do you believe that populations are going to grow? Already the first world is below replacement values of births.

The second world is near replacement and only the third world has vastly greater reproduction than replacement but at the same time they have much shorter lifespans and a large percentage of child mortality, disease and pestilence.

Again Star Trek scenarios or those involving video games are extremely unlikely. What do you think the populations of Syria and Iraq are going to look like when this war is over?

There are too many ifs for anyone to make an accurate guess at population level. Global warming could kill billions. On the other hand, medical science is trying to prevent death, and assure we don't age. If they do cure death and aging, and we stabilize the environment, then population might grow very large. Vertical farming in conditioned environments might grow enough food to feed 50 or 100 billion. If we move into space and make artificial habitats, we might grow to populate the galaxy in time, and have trillions of people. Your guess is as good as anyone's.

Downtown areas already have the densities, where reducing/eliminating parking garages would definitely be worthwhile. We'd still need them for low demand periods(assuming constant driving is cost prohibitive) but they could be located outside of the city center.

The real moral dilemma of self-driving cars

I thought this quote in particular was interesting: "the longer we wait to use self-driving cars, the more people will die."

I suppose the same is true of medical AI and possibly some medical robots. The longer we don't have it the more people will die. In addition, there is economic urgency for businesses to use robots instead of employees. Prices will go down, similar to long distance prices.

When I was young, few people called long distance, because the cost was high. AT&T once owned most local telephone companies, and the US government split it up as a monopoly. AT&T kept the long distance business, the cherry, and the local companies became independent. Over the years, long distance prices dropped and competition drove the cost of long distance calls to nothing, and AT&T because it could not make money on long distance calls.

The transportation industry will evolve as self driving vehicles become common, and other industries, too.

There are too many ifs for anyone to make an accurate guess at population level. Global warming could kill billions. On the other hand, medical science is trying to prevent death, and assure we don't age. If they do cure death and aging, and we stabilize the environment, then population might grow very large. Vertical farming in conditioned environments might grow enough food to feed 50 or 100 billion. If we move into space and make artificial habitats, we might grow to populate the galaxy in time, and have trillions of people. Your guess is as good as anyone's.

Excuse me but are you a Trekkie? They will NEVER "cure" aging. And they will NEVER "cure" dying. They presently are researching a manner of turning SOME cells into younger versions of themselves so that they exude hormones at the rate of younger cells. This does not mean that these cells do not age at the usual rate.

Man will NEVER "move into space". Rather than go into a subject so deep I'll leave it at man is not designed to live on other planets or there would be lifeforms ON those other planets already. The energy load alone be much greater than they could generate to sustain life even on Mars.

A property of man is that he only reproduces for fun at this date in time. And it isn't any fun getting up four times a night to feed the baby and change his diaper. And women do not want to have their uterus expanded to 10 times it's normal size. Why do you suppose they soundproof the delivery rooms in hospitals? An "easy delivery" means the glass is only shattered once.

Edited by RiceAWay

Excuse me but are you a Trekkie? They will NEVER "cure" aging. And they will NEVER "cure" dying. They presently are researching a manner of turning SOME cells into younger versions of themselves so that they exude hormones at the rate of younger cells. This does not mean that these cells do not age at the usual rate.

Man will NEVER "move into space". Rather than go into a subject so deep I'll leave it at man is not designed to live on other planets or there would be lifeforms ON those other planets already. The energy load alone be much greater than they could generate to sustain life even on Mars.

A property of man is that he only reproduces for fun at this date in time. And it isn't any fun getting up four times a night to feed the baby and change his diaper. And women do not want to have their uterus expanded to 10 times it's normal size. Why do you suppose they soundproof the delivery rooms in hospitals? An "easy delivery" means the glass is only shattered once.

Humans aren't designed to do anything...yet.

Any sources on those NEVER's? NEVER is a long time, you know. It is a lot longer than it would take to terraform a planet. It is also a lot longer than it would take us to reach the other side of our galaxy with current technology.

Perhaps someone manages to rewrite human DNA in a way that cell no longer age, perhaps not. How do you now it will never happen? NEVER is longer than it would take to manually spell out an entire string of DNA.