1,3-DCP

Cheisenberg

Hi everyone. I have a problem and question for you. I'm working on some organic synthesis and end of the synthesis, I have undesired product which is 1,3-dichloropropanol. How can I remove this chemical. I have tried evaporation but this is not feasible because this need very much energy. If you help me, I will be pleasure :)

Desired product is chlorohydroxypropyl ammoniumchloride which is made by reaction epichlorohydrin and trimethylamine hydrochloride. 1,3-DCP is undesired byproduct. And to remove is dificult because its boiling point is 174C. I tried some resins to remove but it didnt work.

Desired product is chlorohydroxypropyl ammoniumchloride which is made by reaction epichlorohydrin and trimethylamine hydrochloride. 1,3-DCP is undesired byproduct. And to remove is dificult because its boiling point is 174C. I tried some resins to remove but it didnt work.

Do you have access to a controlled vacuum? You could vacuum distill the DCP off with mild heating. Strange that ion exchange resins didn't work though. What were you using?