world peace and america

paragaster

I am aware that the situation would have gone out of control had America not intervened in world affairs. The problem is that the world knows America's priorities. Americans have brought peace in some regions. The different pacts that have been ratified have something for both the parties.

Is there any pact in the world where both the parties have interpreted it identically?

I am aware that the situation would have gone out of control had America not intervened in world affairs.

What situation would have gone out of control?

The problem is that the world knows America's priorities.

Do you mean the priority of the current government, a previous government, a future government, the current public consensus, or what?

Americans have brought peace in some regions. The different pacts that have been ratified have something for both the parties.

Is there any pact in the world where both the parties have interpreted it identically?

Pacts frequently have more than two parties involved. It is unlikely various people understand anything identically, especially when their native languages are different. Moreover, neither you nor I can vouch for how someone else understands anything; it is impossible to know what another thinks. We can listen carefully to what they say, but cannot know how accurately their words portray their thoughts.

I think I've not answered your question correctly, because I don't understand the focus of your question.

Edited by EdEarl

I.m.o. America has sometimes intervened unnecessarily in the affairs of other countries/regions, often to serve their own interest. Also, I don't see how countries would enter into a pact if said governments do not understand the full implications thereof.

America tried to cause an immediate end to World War II by attacking Japan in August 1945. But this intervention might not have been very good for world peace as this attack used nuclear weapons.

America in the 21st century has emerged as a friend of India and an enemy - perhaps a sworn enemy of IS.

But we need to see what America does under Trump, isn't it?

I.m.o. America has sometimes intervened unnecessarily in the affairs of other countries/regions, often to serve their own interest.

Just give me one example of one country intervening in the affairs of other countries where their own interest is not the driving force.

Just give me one example of one country intervening in the affairs of other countries where their own interest is not the driving force.

My own country, South Africa, has done it on numerous occasions on the African continent with the aim to broker peace deals and has also been sending peace keeping forces into certain area's if required. To this day they are adamant that they would have managed a diplomatic solution to the Libyan crisis; something that they pleaded with the UN, but the USA & its allies insisted on a military intervention...and Europe is still reaping the consequences thereof.

What would the USA benefit from a lasting Israel/Palestine co-existence?

My own country, South Africa, has done it on numerous occasions on the African continent with the aim to broker peace deals and has also been sending peace keeping forces into certain area's if required. To this day they are adamant that they would have managed a diplomatic solution to the Libyan crisis; something that they pleaded with the UN, but the USA & its allies insisted on a military intervention...and Europe is still reaping the consequences thereof.

But SA would not have done that if it had not been in SA's interest to have peace in neighbouring states.

^ Libya is hardly a neighbouring country; it is on the opposite (northern) end of a large continent. Different mind set in the case of SA & Africa, something that our ex president, Mbeki, has started during his tenure as vice president under Mandela and during his own tenure as president. He strongly advocated a policy of Africa-for-Africa, i.e. for African people to resolve African problems in the interest of Africa. You could argue that such an accord would still be in SA's interest, but in reality the benefit to our country would sometimes be negligible as it is only one of 54 recognised countries on the continent whilst some of these disputes have occurred very far away in central or northern African countries. Any way...

^ Libya is hardly a neighbouring country; it is on the opposite (northern) end of a large continent. Different mind set in the case of SA & Africa, something that our ex president, Mbeki, has started during his tenure as vice president under Mandela and during his own tenure as president. He strongly advocated a policy of Africa-for-Africa, i.e. for African people to resolve African problems in the interest of Africa. You could argue that such an accord would still be in SA's interest, but in reality the benefit to our country would sometimes be negligible as it is only one of 54 recognised countries on the continent whilst some of these disputes have occurred very far away in central or northern African countries. Any way...

OK, going off-topic, but it is obvious to me that SA takes this action to achieve some kind of top authority in Africa. Any way, as for America, can you think of a single foreign involvement of theirs which is not initiated because of American interests? Something purely altruistic?

Is the USA humanitarian aid budget significantly higher than that of other countries, pro capita?

I haven't taken the time to confirm per capita numbers, but it appears likely according to this PDF report from 2015:

http://www.globalhumanitarianassistance.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Chapter-3.pdf

The US continues to be the largest donor by far, providing 32% of all international humanitarian assistance from governments in 2014, and more than the total of the next-three-largest government donors (UK, Germany and Sweden) combined. Over the past ten years, the US has provided 33% of the total from government donors. It provided nearly four times more than the next largest donor, the UK, over the decade.

The link above is merely one section if a much larger report available here: http://www.globalhumanitarianassistance.org/report/gha-report-2015/

Its often a case of 'damned if you do and damned if you don't'.

America is always asked to intervene in conflicts around the world.

If they see it as a 'no-win' situation, and stay out, they are vilified, called uncaring, and the accusation is levelled that its because of a 'lack of oil in the region'.

If they do go in, accusations of 'colonialism' and serving their own interests are made, usually concerning steady oil supplies.

Isn't world peace in the interest of every country ?

Also immensely dependent on geopolitical strategies, as evidenced by the actions of the various factions during the cold war. Motivations may shift over time, but it is often difficult to see someone as a partner who may have toppled your government a little while ago, for example.