liquid iodine

Nave

the other day i made some liquid CO2 by placing frozen CO2 into a tube and clamping each end and letting it sublime. Since iodine does sublimes would you be able to make liquid iodine. Because the only other way we see it is mixed with alchohol. Would it be possible to do? What could you do it in because i know its far more reactive then CO2.

Liquid iodine is fairly easy to make. You don't really even need a whole lot of pressure to do so. You just need a small opening in a glass container. In my element collection, I took some round iodine spheres and put them in a glass test tube which would then be melted shut. Before it was melted shut, I took the burner flame and put it under the iodine to see the nice purple vapor. Low and behold, because I2 is such a dense gas the vapor created its own 'high pressure' area and the iodine crystals began to melt into a deep purple liquid. It flowed like water and I coated the inside of the tube with it before sealing it shut. (I then re-melted it so it would stay at the bottom of my tube). But it was REALLY surprising to see it as I didn't think you could get liquid iodine unless you had some pretty good pressure over the solid element.

the other day i made some liquid CO2 by placing frozen CO2 into a tube and clamping each end and letting it sublime. Since iodine does sublimes would you be able to make liquid iodine. Because the only other way we see it is mixed with alchohol. Would it be possible to do? What could you do it in because i know its far more reactive then CO2.

I imagine placing dry ice in a glass tube and clamping it closed would cause it to explode. I dont imagin eclams, or a glass tube can take that kind of preessure.

I imagine placing dry ice in a glass tube and clamping it closed would cause it to explode. I dont imagin eclams, or a glass tube can take that kind of preessure.

First off if u tried to clamp a glass tube with a vice....wouldnt that break the gas? lol its just clear rubbertubing... u would have to be an idiot to use glass!

Ohh by the way does anyone know What I2's Triple point is?

i made the liquid I2... It was actually really easy after i found the triple point. Its color was really amazing too.. I took a small test tube put in the I2 sealed the one end then heated it. Works very nicely

well the glass is strong enough to withstand the pressure. Its not much pressure anyway because I2 tripple point is just over 1atm and 125 C so theres really nothing to worry about.