Math based Biology classes

sam conifer

I have heard it said that the only real science classes are biology classes. The rest is just math. If this is true I don't think I am very interested in science, but math I do enjoy. I am going to be taking classes in a community college starting next semester, Spring 2017. One of the requirements for the degree I will be pursuing is that I take a Life Science class, which includes all this yucky biology stuff. Ultimately I will want to be steering toward Applied Math and get a math related non-teaching job. Is there anything in biology that might be useful for that, or is it my fate to take a class that is almost as unrelated to my goals as is rock and roll history?

My choices seem to be:

Biological Anthropology

Introduces the biological anthropology field, one of the four sub-fields within anthropology. Sometimes called physical anthropology, biological anthropology is the study of our collective human origins. Students will accomplish this through three main areas: study of biological evolution, including the forces of evolution and cellular biology; comparing primate and human physical and behavioral practices; and by examining hominid evolution from groups beginning four to five million years ago through today as they are shaped by environmental and cultural stimuli. Study will be done through a variety of in class discussions and lectures as well as simulated or dry lab activities. Additionally, students will learn how modern cultural implications impact our evolution and environment today.

Biology of Women

Provides a "theme based" course for learning biological concepts for both men and women. Objectives include studying reproductive anatomy and physiology of both sexes, studying pregnancy and fetal development, and examining issues related to reproductive biology and women's physical health. Issues to examine include contraception, cancer, menopause, and the relationship of women to the health care system.

Critical Issues in Human Biology

Presents information for majors and non-majors interested in the critical and ethical issues related to how the human body functions. Topics such as ethical decision-making, genetic engineering, living wills, and issues related to prevention of cancer will be examined. The course will build the biological framework for understanding these dilemmas by exploring the scientific method and human body systems.

Environmental Science

Introduces students to fundamental concepts in ecology focusing on human impact and exploitation of the environment stressing the limits of the biosphere with respect to resources, energy, and pollution. Activities will include discussion, group activities, guest speakers and videos.

Exploring Biology

Introduces non-majors to important biological concepts. This course serves as the prerequisite for Anatomy and Physiology I (BIOL 2201) and Microbiology (BIOL 2205 and 2305). The course emphasizes the molecular level of biology and Darwinian evolution as the unifying theme of biology with emphasis on cell structure and function, cell transport, energy transfers, and genetics. Lab exercises will include the design and conduction of scientific experiments, data analysis, microscopy, cell biology, genetics, and ecology. Students will gain hands-on experience in the safe handling and use of living and preserved organisms as well as laboratory instruments and equipment.

Intro to Forensic Science

Introduces students to the basic techniques of forensic science. Concepts will be examined with the application of scientific principles and emphasizing molecular biology, cell biology and the human body. Specific topics include designing and conducting forensic science lab experiments in hair and fiber analysis, blood splatter and typing, DNA analysis, document examination, fingerprinting and taphonomy.

General Biology: From Cell to Organism

Emphasizes the molecular level of biology with emphasis on cell structure and function, cell transport, energy transfers, genetics, technology, and Darwinian evolution. Units include chemistry, cell structure and function, metabolism, genetics, evolution and critical issues. Labs will include several of the following topics: microscopy, spectrophotometry, permanent slide preparation, electrophoresis comparison of plant and animal metabolism, cell reproduction and genetics. Students will gain hands-on experience in the safe handling and use of living and preserved organisms as well as laboratory instruments and equipment. Prereq: Require one year HS chemistry or a college chemistry course.

I know people that say that Biology isn't a science, just classifying things!

I guess the question is "what do you mean by science'? I would base a definition on the "scientific method"- and by that standard Physics and Chemistry are definitely sciences- Biology, perhaps less so.

Maths is sorely needed in most biological areas. However, for better or worse they tend to be introduced in advanced classes. I also agree with Hyper that the assertion is nonsense. For example, a part of environmental science can be the simple enumeration of species found in an habitat. But that is only the beginning. The goal could be for example to reconstruct food webs, or to figure out drivers that influence biodiversity. In all cases some level of statistical modeling is required. But again, it tends to be a bit of an advanced topic (which I personally find a little bit unfortunate).

Of the choices listed I would suggest that Environmental Science offers the least 'learning load' for those with small backgrounds in the Life Sciences.

The syllabus seems to allow someone with an analytical mind to discuss topics logically.

The other syllabuses on offer seem to lead on to further work in their respective areas and require a good deal of learning of facts, terminology etc that will frankly be baggage to you.