Will We Start Marrying Robots One Day?

russellaw88

Excerpt:

Top academics in the UK have claimed that within 30 years, humans will be legally allowed to marry robots and the marriages will be recognized by the state. Next year will see the first ‘sex-robots’ available to the public and some have claimed this will be a catalyst for our acceptance of AI as life.

https://spaceinvader.me/2016/12/21/lawfully-wedded-robots-robot-marriages-are-coming/

In many places humans can't marry other humans of the same sex, so imagine marriage to non-humans to be some way behind.

Wouldn't it be awful if robots achieved sentience and the first thing they experience was sexual slavery. It would set a lurid tone for human/AI relations for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Excerpt:

Top academics in the UK have claimed that within 30 years, humans will be legally allowed to marry robots and the marriages will be recognized by the state. Next year will see the first ‘sex-robots’ available to the public and some have claimed this will be a catalyst for our acceptance of AI as life.

https://spaceinvader.me/2016/12/21/lawfully-wedded-robots-robot-marriages-are-coming/

Do the robots have any say in the matter?

We don't allow interspecies marriage now, and it seems unlikely marriage to robots will be condoned. Moreover, it is not likely robots will require sexual procreation; thus, there will be no biological reason. Robot sexual toys probably will be developed to a high degree of realism, and they may give sexual predators pleasure without harming people, among other reasons.

We will use robots as slaves for other purposes, I see no reason why they cannot be designed and deployed just as successfully as sexual slaves. Their sensual system will not be human, and it seems unlikely they will react with the same kind of moral indignation, because we can train them to accept anything, at least the ones that are not sentient.

Let us not forget Asimov's laws.

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

If we develop true artificial intelligence then we should at least follow these basic laws. It allows for a rationality to govern the robots to allow them to govern themselves, and where there is freedom, there often is not violence or war. And this would allow a certain degree of freedom. However because of the nature of human beings there should be strict robotic labor laws as well as emulators for emotions, because if we did not experience emotion, morality would fly headlong out the window. At the same time we should prevent total technological singularity at least concerning the robots (Do not allow them to self modify/improve) and should give them the right to a fair trial much like humans, because this would give them the degree of aforementioned freedom. Also I think that robotic wives would seriously help people such as myself a few years ago. I was out of a job and my college plans were crashing, and I literally just thought of this: I will never be loved by anyone. The emotion excludes me because I am too awkward and weird in general. I do not have a place in society.

And so a form of robotic romance would seriously help many people like this and most likely save many lives. However these robotic relationships should be strictly limited to people who are experiencing these thoughts and cannot seem to catch a break in life or find someone to cling to and to help them through. Humans are very social beings and many times our emotional needs are simply ignored and so we make terrible decisions because of that, sometimes tossing ourselves off cliffs because of inadequacies we believe are crippling to our place in society.

Edited by DanTrentfield

Those laws aside - you can put me down for a personal robot when they are available..... I am lazy enough to welcome a robot that will do the dishes and my laundry and keep me company and be at my beck and call for whatever purpose I desire... A human could not do all that without having off days when they do not want to and off days when they will piss me off... a robot that will just obey sounds simple... Marriage though?... It would have to be a damn fine robot!! :)

Those laws aside - you can put me down for a personal robot when they are available..... I am lazy enough to welcome a robot that will do the dishes and my laundry and keep me company and be at my beck and call for whatever purpose I desire... A human could not do all that without having off days when they do not want to and off days when they will piss me off... a robot that will just obey sounds simple... Marriage though?... It would have to be a damn fine robot!! :)

Marriage robots aside.... Women still have a place in a romantic relationship if they so choose to partake in that, which many do. A robot could never really replace a real person as there would still be rough edges in the programming most likely, and besides that hope you don't ever plan on having kids..... Unless of course we're making robots a walking cloning vat which is a HORRIBLE idea as we do not need 66 Rick Astleys to Rickroll us simultaneously. The whole reason I suggested that we have spouse robots is that many times people, especially men, and even sometimes women, are simply too nervous to ever actually talk to someone they are romantically interested in, Even more so if they are depressed or if that person is in a group of other people, and this creates a certain degree of emotional trauma which can lead to many many many late nights of getting drunk and possibly even lead to suicide. Because frankly having a long term and healthy care/concern relationship is both an integral part of the human existence and almost absolutely necessary for maintaining a degree of happiness.

I would have to agree with you Ed - marriage would be unnecessary as the robot would not care a bit about anything other than what it is programed to (even with AI). Thus it will obey without question - no marriage needed. (I kind of like the sound of that!).

Maybe not Dan - I liked your post... I am just saying it as I see it and feel it right now. Maybe I am being too cynical, maybe I am being discriminatory toward future AI robots to say 'they won't care'... idk. :) I'd take one though, although I doubt I'll ever be able to afford one. lol.

Maybe not Dan - I liked your post... I am just saying it as I see it and feel it right now. Maybe I am being too cynical, maybe I am being discriminatory toward future AI robots to say 'they won't care'... idk. :) I'd take one though, although I doubt I'll ever be able to afford one. lol.

Well if it's anything like love you wouldn't have to. Unless they're b@*$!y all the time. Cause that's a pricetag worse than an arm and a leg ;)

Luckily however my wife is sweet and caring (and cute and sexy as hell :wub:) and loves me for who I am, and is my best friend. Looking forward to a lifetime with her.

It's actually quite funny how we met, I was sitting in a hotel lobby in Toronto (I was sick as a dog with the nastiest chestcold I've ever had) on a trip to visit some family that moved there. So I was sitting in this armchair and there was this coffee table in front of me and she tripped on the rug (New high heels she says, Drunk girl I say) and landed on the coffee table breaking the glass. She smelled like tequila, and had glass in her everywhere so I started picking it out and ran over to the front desk and asked for bandages and some alcohol wipes and I cleaned her up (She was drunk as a skunk) and she thanked me for it, said I was cute and ran off, tripped on her own two feet from how drunk she was, and very obviously needed help just getting to her room. So here I was practically carrying a drunk girl up to her room (She was leaning on me with what felt like all of her weight) while dragging her suitcase behind me. It was interesting plainly, especially when she thought the keycard reader was broken because she was putting the card in backwards..... and so she woke up the next day, (Looking like someone who's been doing some serious sleep deprivation marathons) saw me in the lobby with coffee, thanked me, and said she needed a guy like me in her life. :cool:

It would be interesting to see if robot "love stories" could actually unfold like the tangled, uncontrolled messes of real ones....

I just wonder if AI could ever experience love, or deal with a situation like how I described in the way my now wife did.....

Edited by DanTrentfield

That's a lovely story Dan. I have tales of love to tell as well..... but none that have ever lasted more than 7 years. I am now divorced, but very happy for you. When I was married we used to tell the tale of how we met and how I proposed as it was a little different. I still remember it fondly but have happily moved on.

I don't think a robot would really need to get drunk to have a good time - lol. They would be made of different stuff. I suppose they could be programed to emulate this behaviour though if one were to prefer their companions inebriated.

That's a lovely story Dan. I have tales of love to tell as well..... but none that have ever lasted more than 7 years. I am now divorced, but very happy for you. When I was married we used to tell the tale of how we met and how I proposed as it was a little different. I still remember it fondly but have happily moved on.

I don't think a robot would really need to get drunk to have a good time - lol. They would be made of different stuff. I suppose they could be programed to emulate this behaviour though if one were to prefer their companions inebriated.

Thanks. Oh. I'm sorry. All I know is that romantic rejection literally makes me so depressed I will actually drink something other than wine (I have a glass of wine typically with dinner but we're talking consecutive shots of hard liquor) and it's usually about this time I lose a job and my grades drop a ton (I am in college) and I get into the mindset of "Well. Life is meant to be lived alone right? and I guess I'm not really worth love anyways" and this one time I got super drunk and apparently blacked out and woke up in a hospital with the biggest cut in my side I'd ever seen. Apparently I got into a bar fight and ended up getting cut with a knife pretty badly according to the bartender that night. Thankfully I no longer drink like that now that I'm happily married. But I'm pretty sure if something happened I would not be in a good situation at all.

Deep learning AI might be trained to act as drunk; programming is too primitive for that level AI.

That is true. Hm. Interesting thought. But I'd say we should avoid deep learning AI, because then it can develop it's own thoughts and ideas and there are containment of information issues..... For example if it discovered Mein Kampf and began a neo nazi machine revolution :unsure:

That is true. Hm. Interesting thought. But I'd say we should avoid deep learning AI, because then it can develop it's own thoughts and ideas and there are containment of information issues..... For example if it discovered Mein Kampf and began a neo nazi machine revolution :unsure:

I believe deep learning is now sweeping AI to the near exclusion of programming.

That is true. Hm. Interesting thought. But I'd say we should avoid deep learning AI, because then it can develop it's own thoughts and ideas and there are containment of information issues....

At this point, it is unclear that deep learning will lead to Artificial General Intelligence (AGI or hard AI). Which, despite sharing a name, is different than current deep learning / AI.

For example if it discovered Mein Kampf and began a neo nazi machine revolution :unsure:

More generally, researchers are concerned with programming an AGI that has a utility function that includes peaceful coexistence with humans. Mostly, these are philosophical exercises, but the end result is that the values of an artificial intelligence do not have to be as complicated as racist political theories to pose a danger to humans. For example, see the concept of the Paperclip maximizer https://wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/Paperclip_maximizer.

I believe deep learning is now sweeping AI to the near exclusion of programming.

What do you mean? AI/ deep learning tools do not program themselves in any real way, so humans are still doing most of the programming work...

Deep learning uses artificial neurons to make decisions, and learns by examining examples of things, for example AlphaGo examined thousands of Go games played by masters, then played itself thousands of times to build up a knowledge of Go games in its neural net.

We will use robots as slaves for other purposes, I see no reason why they cannot be designed and deployed just as successfully as sexual slaves. Their sensual system will not be human, and it seems unlikely they will react with the same kind of moral indignation, because we can train them to accept anything, at least the ones that are not sentient.

Can I suggest this tells us something about our attitude to some members of our own species.

Don't be afraid to commit ;)

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/till-death-do-us-part-aaron-chervenak-marries-his-phone-in-las-vegas/

The interesting thing is that he really can trade in his wife for a new model.

This is not promising for the future of the species. And frankly uhm.... that's a very interesting thought that you would marry your phone. To leave this without the sudden urge to vomit and rant about how freaking disgusting many of the thoughts that just popped into my head about this concept are, I'd say that this is the worst kind of loneliness...... Because how lonely do you have to be to marry an inanimate object that is incapable of showing affection. This is the exact reason why I suggested that robotic wives be provided to people like this because at least then it is halfway natural in the fact that the object is at least semi intelligent and resembles a human being highly, and instead of gobbling up your attention like a black hole gobbles stars it encourages you to live life and find happiness. Not to insult the poor man but JEEZ.