I mean, put the Lego away, let intellectual discussion begin...

sunandmoon

Is it wise to think of logic, singly, as intelligent, rather than logic and creativity?

Each egg (produced by the female) contains one X chromosome, and sperm (produced by the male) can contain either an X or a Y chromosome. If the sperm that fertilizes the egg contains a X chromosome, then the child will be female. If the sperm that fertilizes the egg contains a Y chromosome, then the child will be male.

- A (current) scientific explanation for 'how a baby's gender is determined'.

I asked a question, and produced an argument: are babies genders determined, randomly, or naturally?

Do you consider the natural circumstances of childbirth to be, metaphorically, like a bubble (i.e. contained in theoretical space)?

I argue that natural circumstances are, in this context, universal, and therefore can't be reduced to a single moment (How big is the bubble?)

When a male reproduces with a female, a baby (or babies) is born of either male or female gender. Though this process is random, the result is determined by the male and female duet.

To conclude, I argue that there is balance between logic and creativity, that it's unwise to think of logic, singly, as intelligent.

Is it wise to think of logic, singly, as intelligent, rather than logic and creativity?

Logic is not intelligent. It is just a rigorous/formal way of reaching conclusions from certain premises. Coming up with the initial premises may be a creative process, I suppose.

I asked a question, and produced an argument: are babies genders determined, randomly, or naturally?

The question seems to be based on a false dichotomy. The gender of a child is determined both naturally and randomly (by the process you described).

Although, the X and Y chromosomes do not entirely define the physical sexual characteristics of a child. Hence there is quite a high proportion of children born with ambiguous genitalia (https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003269.htm).

I have no idea what the connection is between this and logic / creativity. Can you explain?

Edited by Strange

I have no idea what the connection is between this and logic / creativity. Can you explain?

A ruin of a Colosseum, among other ruins, in a garden, green and full of trees, surrounded by an ocean and islands.

Or simply, the theme of the game 'the Talos Principle' (recommended).

I can't logically explain the connection between logic and creativity, and the reason why should speak for itself...

A ruin of a Colosseum, among other ruins, in a garden, green and full of trees, surrounded by an ocean and islands.

What is that supposed to mean? And what does it it have to do with the subject? Are you stoned or something?

I can't logically explain the connection between logic and creativity, and the reason why should speak for itself...

I wasn't asking you to explain the connection between logic and creativity. I was asking you to explain the connection between logic and how gender is determined. Or the connection between creativity and how gender is determined. Or the connection between logic-and-or-creativity and how gender is determined.

Or simply, the theme of the game 'the Talos Principle' (recommended).

What is the theme of that game? And how does it relate to the topic of the thread? (Although I'm not quite sure what the topic of the thread is, so perhaps you could clarify that as well.)

Edited by Strange

What is that supposed to mean? And what does it it have to do with the subject? Are you stoned or something?

I wasn't asking you to explain the connection between logic and creativity. I was asking you to explain the connection between logic and how gender is determined. Or the connection between creativity and how gender is determined. Or the connection between logic-and-or-creativity and how gender is determined.

What is the theme of that game? And how does it relate to the topic of the thread? (Although I'm not quite sure what the topic of the thread is, so perhaps you could clarify that as well.)

An answer is evident in the original post...

Though this process is random, the result is determined by the male and female duet.

Do you agree that the gender of a baby is not determined randomly?

If so, that's the answer!

An answer is evident in the original post...

If it was evident, I wouldn't be asking.

Do you agree that the gender of a baby is not determined randomly?

If so, that's the answer!

It is random because the male provides a large number of sperm and only one (at random) will fertilise the egg. And then random factors may affect the development of physical sexual characteristics.

But (again) what is the connection between that and logic/creativity?

If it was evident, I wouldn't be asking.

I'll take your word for it.

To explain a connection between logic and creativity, where nature and randomness are concerned, in the context of determining babies genders, I'd first have to explain the connection between logic and creativity; which I've expressed cannot be, singly, logic.

I can't answer your question, you may or may not find help elsewhere...

For a question in a thread about logic, that's a shitty and condescending answer.

Is this a shout, or a cry?

To explain a connection between logic and creativity, where nature and randomness are concerned, in the context of determining babies genders, I'd first have to explain the connection between logic and creativity; which I've expressed cannot be, singly, logic.

I can't answer your question, you may or may not find help elsewhere...

Is this a shout, or a cry?

I would like to ask how the gender of humans figures into logic... or creativity...

To explain a connection between logic and creativity

That is NOT what I am asking. Sheesh.

I would like to ask how the gender of humans figures into logic... or creativity...

Good question. Why didn't I think of that... Oh hang on, I did! :)

Chew quietly. I think you've been mumbling about NEVER combining creativity and logic. Otherwise, this whole thread is one big strawman.

He - and lots of other people - need to learn what logic means, as answered by Strange

Edited by StringJunky

To conclude, I argue that there is balance between logic and creativity, that it's unwise to think of logic, singly, as intelligent.

I saw a sign today that said: Logic will get you from A to B. Creativity [actually, it said imagination but, meh] can take you anywhere.

That seems more relevant than all the incoherent blather about sex determination.

Will I be shot at dawn for suggesting that gender is a societal construct and the different outcomes to do with fertiliszation by X sperm and Y sperm is to do with determining the sex not the gender.

I would nuance that with:

....that gender, as a binary phenomenon, is a societal construct and the different outcomes to do with fertiliszation by X sperm and Y sperm is to do with determining the sex not the gender.
Edited by StringJunky