Three parent babies

BiomedbabeUK

I think "three parent" is a bit of a misnomer, it's just a surrogate egg.

That is a good description. I am also unhappy with the common description "DNA from three people". While strictly true, it is quite misleading. After all, you could say the same about someone who has had an organ transplant.

That is a good description. I am also unhappy with the common description "DNA from three people". While strictly true, it is quite misleading. After all, you could say the same about someone who has had an organ transplant.

But the mitochondria is heritable, an organ transplant is not.

Edited by StringJunky

I'm concerned that suggests a three-way mixing of Nuclear DNA.

Well, mitochondria are pretty vital and in every cell in a person. There is two strands of heritability and that third person is providing the other strand.

Edited by StringJunky

But the mitochondria is heritable, an organ transplant is not.

Touche!

Well, mitochondria are pretty vital and in every cell in a person. There is two strands of heritability and that third person is providing the other strand.

Two "strands" might be a poor choice of word, in this context ... :)

Touche!

Two "strands" might be a poor choice of word, in this context ... :)

Touche to you! Three strands; mitochondria has RNA.. Or, Should that be 2+2+1 strand. Yeah, it is an ambiguous word here.

Seriously, I find this one a bit fuzzy whether the person providing the egg is or not. Either way, I imagine it's a big deal on the woman providing the egg and allowing it's use; it's not like they can just '"whip it out'" a la men. :) I suppose, as men, we could hypothetically imagine that mitochondrial RNA inheritance is passed on by the male in his sperm. What do you think in this context: is the resulting baby part of you? Would you feel an investment in that process? You are helping to make that baby because without you they will not reach their full physiological potential and your effort will be passed on to their children and so on...

Edited by StringJunky

Touche to you! Three strands; mitochondria has RNA.. Or, Should that be 2+2+1 strand. Yeah, it is an ambiguous word here.

Seriously, I find this one a bit fuzzy whether the person providing the egg is or not. Either way, I imagine it's a big deal on the woman providing the egg and allowing it's use; it's not like they can just '"whip it out'" a la men. :) I suppose, as men, we could hypothetically imagine that mitochondrial RNA inheritance is passed on by the male in his sperm. What do you think in this context: is the resulting baby part of you? Would you feel an investment in that process? You are helping to make that baby because without you they will not reach their full physiological potential and your effort will be passed on to their children and so on...

If you could donate blood and have a single gene extracted from the DNA in that blood and spliced into the genetic code of a zygote that had a genetic defect, how would you feel towards the resultant child?

If you could donate blood and have a single gene extracted from the DNA in that blood and spliced into the genetic code of a zygote that had a genetic defect, how would you feel towards the resultant child?

It would be 1/20 000 mine in quantitative terms. Where does one draw the line.

It would be 1/20 000 mine in quantitative terms. Where does one draw the line.

Actually, that got me thinking about this in a good way. Mitochondrial DNA is passed down through the female line. The person donating the mitochondrial DNA would be as related to the child as some distant cousin descended through the female line so many generations back that they share no other DNA.

That's the approximate DNA-level relationship that they would share.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, that got me thinking about this in a good way. Mitochondrial DNA is passed down through the female line. The person donating the mitochondrial DNA would be as related to the child as some distant cousin descended through the female line so many generations back that they share no other DNA.

That's the approximate DNA-level relationship that they would share.

There is a very rare case of paternal mitochondrial inheritance. Whilst extremely rare, it also calls into question some of the hypotheses of evolutionary biologist that depend upon exclusively maternal inheritance of mitochondria.

The researchers think inheritance of paternal mitochondrial DNA is probably very rare. But the findings will have implications for a number of branches of biology. Evolutionary biologists often date the divergence of species by the differences in genetic sequences in mitochondrial DNA. Even if paternal DNA is inherited very rarely, it could invalidate many of their findings. It will also have implications for scientists investigating inherited metabolic diseases.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2716-mitochondria-can-be-inherited-from-both-parents/