Heaven/Hell

sunandmoon

Hell is solipsism. [Point A]

Heaven, metaphorically, is who visits the solipsistic, sometimes... [Point B]

Discuss either Point A or Point B or both!

Hell is solipsism? I thought solipsism was specifically the dilemma that one's own mind can be the only one that is sure to exist. I thought Hell was a fictional place in various ancient fables wherein people are sent for eternal torture in fire. Don't understand the third line. How about expanding upon what you're getting at? Edited by Tampitump

Hell is solipsism? I thought solipsism was specifically the dilemma that one's own mind can be the only one that is sure to exist. I thought Hell was a fictional place in various ancient fables wherein people are sent for eternal torture in fire. Don't understand the third line. How about expanding upon what you're getting at?

Hassle in this wording makes it time-consuming to explain to you, what's meant, and how to discuss a simple three line topic! (The mental screaming does not help discussion or debate.)

Simply, solipsism is thought of in the way you explained it, because of all the things you can do alongside solipsism; hence, 'that is sure to exist', in your description, but you'll probably misunderstand this as well.

Solipsism is "ego alone", or just "ego", without liberty.

Edited by sunandmoon

Hassle in this wording makes it time-consuming to explain to you, what's meant, and how to discuss a simple three line topic! (The mental screaming does not help discussion or debate.)

Simply, solipsism is thought of in the way you explained it, because of all the things you can do alongside solipsism; hence, 'that is sure to exist', in your description, but you'll probably misunderstand this as well.

Solipsism is "ego alone", or just "ego", without liberty.

Ok, whatever you say.

Phi for All, on 04 Dec 2016 - 6:05 PM, said:snapback.png

A very scholarly friend told me at an office Christmas party last night about a thesis he wrote while at university. In it, he presented the idea that God kept Heaven's gates open, and that all people were invited in the afterlife. God Himself imposes no strictures. He can allow suffering, because everyone is allowed into Heaven.

The twist is, Heaven is so awesome to behold, so perfectly meant to be the afterlife of humanity, that when you stand in front of the open gates, you judge yourself to be worthy or not. If you've been a decent and loving person, you'll have no problem allowing yourself to walk on in. And if you aren't a good person, you won't be able to inflict yourself on Heaven, no matter what. Instead, you'll stand at the gates of Heaven, unable to go in until you deem yourself ready. You'll be outside open gates, BURNING with the desire to enter rightfully.

I thought this perspective offers interesting answers to some questions that have long plagued the Abrahamic religions.

I think it means both are here and now, and illustrates how, at a deeper level when we're honest with ourselves, and we ALL know what level I'm talking about. Only when we can forgive ourselves shall we know peace, the location is immaterial.

From this thread: http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/96081-share-your-belief/page-5

Edited by dimreepr

• 4 weeks later...

I don't believe there is life after death and this also means that there is no Heaven and Hell.

I believe that when we die that's it. Our bodies decompose in the ground and there is nothing more because it's really all over for you once you die.

If there was life after death then surely someone who has died would have already returned from heaven and shown the current living people of earth that there is truly life after death. If God had the ability to create the whole universe and created the heavens and the earth and has all power over it then he would have the ability to send someone down from heaven to give us the 'heads up'.

The concept of life after death does not make sense to me.

I don't see myself or others floating around in the great beyond, or being reborn again as someone else. I believe that you have one life to live and, when you die, you're dead, and that is the end for all of us. I see nothing wrong with that. It inspires me to live my life to the fullest and to enjoy each day. I've never seen any real proof that there is a possibility of life after death and, until I do, I can not be persuaded to change my mind on that topic.

It is scientifically impossible for there to be life after death as being conscious isnot possible after there is nothing supporting the brain.

Your brain cant work without oxygenated blood from the heart. Consciousness is supplied by the brain so if the brain doesn't work you cannot be conscious. Therefore it is impossible to be alive after death.

The essence of what you are is in the brain because the brain controls almost of all the functions in your body.

This means that once your brain stops functioning it's all over for you because there simply is nothing more to it.

http://www.thekeyboard.org.uk/Is%20there%20life%20after%20death.htm

Edited by seriously disabled

I too believe that when you are dead you are dead-- there is no afterlife. However, I maintain that Heaven and Hell do exist and most of us will eventually face them. Most of us will sooner or later in our life evaluate who we are and what we have done. Heaven is within the mind-- being satisfied that we did our best and have loved ones and friends. Hell is also within the mind-- knowing we screwed up and that its too late to fix.