Wave

Sriman Dutta

Hello,

If there's a wave having velocity v, such that in time t, it has travelled a distance of x, then will the equation relating v and x be v=kx/t, where k is its wavenumber.

EMR is constant. What do you mean by wavenumber? a wave has a frequency, amplitude, length and phase

What do you mean by "EMR" (I would have thought "electro-magnetic radiation" or "resonance" but those aren't numbers.) Ther was no mention of "EMR" in the original post.

The "wave number" is the reciprocal of wavelengh- The number of wave crests per unit length.

I am really unknown of this term EMR.

A more detailed explanation will be helpful.

Electromagetic Radiation covers the electromagnetic spectrum for all waves, light, microwaves, infrared, ultraviolet etc all travel at the SOL (speed of light).

Other than sound and gravity im not sure what else has wave form, other than electrons in QM.

Here's a link to better explain it than me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation

you can create your own waveforms ofcourse and things like the harmonic series. I just assumed you were referring to EM waves.

Edited by DevilSolution

Electromagetic Radiation covers the electromagnetic spectrum for all waves, light, microwaves, infrared, ultraviolet etc all travel at the SOL (speed of light).

Other than sound and gravity im not sure what else has wave form, other than electrons in QM.

Here's a link to better explain it than me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation

you can create your own waveforms ofcourse and things like the harmonic series. I just assumed you were referring to EM waves.

OK...

Upon thinking, I see that v=kx/t is wrong since v gets the unit Hz if the above formula is applied.

Edited by Sriman Dutta