Fun Comp Sci \ Engineering project

fiveworlds

A fun recent completed project of mine I thought would be fun for people here. Convert a manual car to automatic using arduino or an alternative. A typical car runs on a 12volt battery. There will be either 4 buttons gear up, gear down, reverse and clutch alternatively you may leave out the clutch.

I created a power management system using an arduino for 12V battery bank, you physically swapping the gear box? if your gona send a signal from the arduino your gona need something mechanical to switch the gears, pro-grammatically its simple, 4 if statements, 4, ports, 4 transistors / relays and whatever limits are on the gears. This seems like more mechanical than programming?

you physically swapping the gear box?​

The idea was this guy was a rally car driver and wanted to have buttons on the steering wheel to change gears.

This seems like more mechanical than programming?

Yeah I was only doing the programming side of it. He was using 3 solenoids for the gears so I had to write the program to move them with the arduino. It isn't that difficult but it is a fun project. It also included programming a 7 segment display for the dash to display what gear the car was in.

Edited by fiveworlds

A fun recent completed project of mine I thought would be fun for people here.

But show some source code.

Or screen-shots of source code.. ;)

ps. Why don't you build your own 3D printer, 2D Plotter.. ?

It's very similar project.

Just a 2-3 little engines, spinning in one direction (+X, +Y, +Z), and the other direction (-X, -Y, -Z).

6 bits of data needed to send to them. 1 to turn on/off, 1 for direction.

Edited by Sensei

I'll show the circuit.

Note that fritzing doesn't have a 12V power supply so I used the 9V one as a placeholder. The three NPN transistors should be nmos.rIGPfcWr.png

Why don't you build your own 3D printer, 2D Plotter.. ?

I'd love to make one but I don't have the parts at home I'd have to buy them.

Edited by fiveworlds