Can an electric current strengthen a magnetic field?

moonknight

I know that an electric current can create a magnetic field, but can it strengthen a magnet field of a piece of steel if I charge it? The piece of steel already has its own magnetic field, so if I charge it with, let's say a AA battery, will it strengthen the magnetic field? If I was using a metal detector, would it cause the metal detector to sense something stronger if the steel is charged?

I know that an electric current can create a magnetic field, but can it strengthen a magnet field of a piece of steel if I charge it? The piece of steel already has its own magnetic field, so if I charge it with, let's say a AA battery, will it strengthen the magnetic field? If I was using a metal detector, would it cause the metal detector to sense something stronger if the steel is charged?

It depends on how well magnitized the metal is. It is possible that it could become stronger.

I know that an electric current can create a magnetic field, but can it strengthen a magnet field of a piece of steel if I charge it?

Yes.

Typically only when current is flowing.

Piece of steel can magnetize while current is flowing (electron spins will align in one direction, they normally cancel each other in domains).

The piece of steel already has its own magnetic field,

"piece of steel" does not have it's own external magnetic field. You probably meant "steel magnet" instead.

so if I charge it with, let's say a AA battery, will it strengthen the magnetic field?

You should check how to make magnet in the first place.

There is put block of iron to furnace, to heat it to enough high temperature.

Around it there is electromagnet (wire around iron in furnace). Current is flowing through it.

And block of metal is cooled down while electromagnet is still working.

AA batteries will give you ~ 2.5 Ampers while connecting their ends. That's not pretty impressive. MIG/MAG/TIG for $720 can give you easily 115 A.

Yes.

Typically only when current is flowing.

Piece of steel can magnetize while current is flowing (electron spins will align in one direction, they normally cancel each other in domains).

What about "remanent magnetism"? Sometimes the magnetic field can stay for a bit longer after the electric current has been removed.

What about "remanent magnetism"? Sometimes the magnetic field can stay for a bit longer after the electric current has been removed.

Yes. This is known as hysteresis — if you turn on a current and magnetize, say, a piece of iron, zeroing the current still leaves you with a field, and you have to reverse the current to cancel it.

http://www.codecogs.com/library/physics/magnetism/magnetic-hysteresis.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_hysteresis

Yes. This is known as hysteresis — if you turn on a current and magnetize, say, a piece of iron, zeroing the current still leaves you with a field, and you have to reverse the current to cancel it.

http://www.codecogs.com/library/physics/magnetism/magnetic-hysteresis.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_hysteresis

Yeah, I believe hysteresis is what I'm interested in. Do you have any idea how strong the electric current would have to be to have an effect on a small piece of steel? I am assuming a AA battery would not be enough? I'm only interested in temporarily strengthening the field after the electric current is removed.

• 2 weeks later...

As per my knowledge, As the current flowing around the core increases, the number of aligned atoms increases and the stronger the magnetic field becomes. At least, up to a point. Sooner or later, all of the atoms that can be aligned will be aligned. At this point, the magnet is said to be saturated and increasing the electric current flowing around the core no longer affects the magnetization of the core itself and If you was using a metal detector, It will cause the metal detector to sense current stronger for sort time of period.