Odd muscles

Muscular section of the diaphragm is not symmetric, left and right lungs are not identical, liver, stomach, intestine; but struggling to think of standard muscles. Obviously missing the simple ones...

Orbicularis Oris - but apparently that is not one simple muscle but 4 quadrants

The sphincters are all I can think of that are muscular and not paired. But there are loads of those: anal, cardiac, pyloric, oesophageal

The sphincters are all I can think of that are muscular and not paired. But there are loads of those: anal, cardiac, pyloric, oesophageal

I was going to suggest the external anal sphincter muscle, but then there is an internal one, so I don't know whether that counts as a pair.

What about the occipitofrontalis muscle? Is it a solistic muscle? What about its embryology: solistic or dual formation? (Cf. e.g. mandible or, more related to it, the frontal, parietal bones themselves which are embriologically formed pairwise and fused together in a later stadium [sutures, fontanelles])

Then again; I can pull up my eyebrows apart from one another

Edited by Function

Let's continue the list: bladder sphincter; the bladder itself; external urethral sphincter

Since you don't specify striated muscles:

All smooth muscles associated to unpaired vessels (basilar artery, aorta, that weird sacral artery, ... and then I'm not even talking about lymph vessels)

there are only 4 of those based on my professor and i have to find them

appretiate the help from all of you

well...

1. if you are talking smooth muscle then there are loads (not least uterus in just over 50pct of pop)

2. if you allow sphincters then there are more than four

3. if you are only allowing striated muscle then I am yet to see a good candidate (Function - occipitofrontalis is surely two paired muscles; look at the occipital and frontal bellies)