Nail Polish Remover: Acetone vs Ethyl Acetate

Elite Engineer

Smells better, less harsh.

I know acetone can also be used to purify some drugs. Not sure how well EA would work for the same purpose. Not exactly planning on testing this one, 'for science' only goes so far.

Edited by Endy0816

Acetone can't be used with fake nails because of its strength. Learned that one from the wife.

I'll bet for regular nail polish it's the smell. Nicer is better with nails. Oddly, that's not the case when deciding between mineral oil and baby oil for your cutting board.

Acetone can't be used with fake nails because of its strength. Learned that one from the wife.

You mean the acetone is too strong for acrylics? Does it damage them? I've had fake nails for guitar playing but never painted them.

Edited by StringJunky

You mean the acetone is too strong for acrylics? Does it damage them? I've had fake nails for guitar playing but never painted them.

Yes, it'll warp them at the very least, which weakens the adhesive so they don't sit right. In fact, I think ethyl acetate became more widely used when nail extensions got to be more popular. Smells better and works on real and fake nails. The acetone is a pretty strong solvent.

Yes, it'll warp them at the very least, which weakens the adhesive so they don't sit right. In fact, I think ethyl acetate became more widely used when nail extensions got to be more popular. Smells better and works on real and fake nails. The acetone is a pretty strong solvent.

Right. The adhesive they used on mine was so strong that when I yanked a tree branch to break it, my thumb nail caught it, yanked my thumb back and fractured; the nail stayed put.

Edited by StringJunky

I wanted to see if the EA would have the same effects on styrofoam as acetone does. Lets jus say my styrofoam box has a whole in the top of it now,

On the plus side it probably smelled nicer.

Out of curiosity what prompted the question in the first place?

Interestingly both are dangerously flammable in the wrong circumstances.

Kay and Layby give

Acetone Ethyl Acetate

Lower flammable Limit 3% 2%

Upper Flammable Limit 13% 12%

Flash Point -19C -4C

Auto ignition temp 538C 410C

I use acetone to thin fibreglass resin so as to strengthen wood in rotten wooden window frames. Thinning the resin allows it to soak in further (you have to add hardener as well ,of course).

I actually use nail polish remover as I can't get pure acetone from the chemist but there is some acetone in it -although some kinds are described as acetone free.(which I try not to buy)

• 2 years later...

Can I dilute the ethyl Acetate, I recently bought a bottle to use as nail polish remover how ever it’s to strong and drying our nails out, is there anything I can put with this to make it better for our nails?

18 minutes ago, Jadems84 said:

Can I dilute the ethyl Acetate, I recently bought a bottle to use as nail polish remover how ever it’s to strong and drying our nails out, is there anything I can put with this to make it better for our nails?

https://www.solventis.net/products/esters/ethyl-acetate/

Any alcohol,perhaps?

On 12/11/2016 at 7:29 PM, StringJunky said:

Right. The adhesive they used on mine was so strong that when I yanked a tree branch to break it, my thumb nail caught it, yanked my thumb back and fractured; the nail stayed put.

What adhesive was that? My nails  are shot . Even a little extension might be a nice thing if it was strong ,stable and didn't damage the underlying nail.

21 minutes ago, geordief said:

What adhesive was that? My nails  are shot . Even a little extension might be a nice thing if it was strong ,stable and didn't damage the underlying nail.

It was done at a nail parlour. I used to have acrylic nails on my right hand for guitar playing. It wrecks your underlying nails. I would suggest you start filing your nails with a good glass file,  rather than cutting them. Your nails have three laminated layers and biting or cutting them exposes  the inbetween layers to the air and allows the moisture to escape through the ends, which causes your nails to lose volume, become thin and brittle. A glass file, not metal, will create fine nail powder filings and seal the ends. Make sure it is an etched crystal one and not one sprinkled with glass powder. If you don't break it, it will last your lifetime.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=etched+glass+nail+file&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=glass+nail+file

Edited by StringJunky