Desk top nuclear reactions?

Moontanman

• 4 weeks later...

Moontanman, I am just a biologist and didn't understand about half of what I read but my main points would be:

1. Is the research reproducible and replicable? (can it be repeated by other laboratories and also in the original laboratory)

2. Can the method be scaled up for actual energy production?

If the answer to either 1 or 2 is "no" then look for a new energy resource. Wasn't that the main point of the research? The two original authors had to take a lot of crap from their contemporaries but I liked the look of this theory:

The Widom-Larsen theory has nothing to do with fusion; the key steps are based on weak interactions and are consistent with existing physics. The theory explains how nuclear reactions can occur at or near room temperature through the creation of ultra-low-momentum neutrons and subsequent neutron-capture processes. Such neutrons, according to the theory, have a very large DeBroglie wavelength and therefore have a huge capture cross-section, explaining why so few neutrons are detected. Many-body collective quantum and electromagnetic effects are fundamental to Widom and Larsen's explanation for the energy required to create neutrons in LENR cells. Crucially, such reaction-rate calculations are based not on few-body interactions but on many-body interactions.

After 2006, the scientists who remained wedded to their belief in the idea of room-temperature fusion rejected the Widom-Larsen theory. A few of these fusion believers began making unsupported claims of commercially viable energy technologies.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/its-not-cold-fusion-but-its-something/

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.