Introducing Amazon Go (re: youtube)

EdEarl

I just watched a 1.50 minute youtube video, Introducing Amazon Go and the worlds most shopping technology. As you walk into a store with this technology, you swipe your card in a reader, go into the store picking up the things you want, and walk out, without having to stop at a register to check out. The system watches you while you shop, and automatically adds things to your virtual cart as you pick them off shelves. No more checkout lines, and many jobs will be lost as the technology spreads from store to store.

• 3 weeks later...

There is IBM's older commercial promising the same via RFID to consider.

The people and time freed up could go to more productive uses. I suspect we are more likely to work side-by-side with the technology rather than be outright replaced by it. McDonald's rolling out table service is a good example of where a company isn't cutting jobs via automation and not doing anything productive with the freed workers.

In some cases I'm sure time demands will support, "Pick from the limited menu and get it yourself from the slot" eateries. For regular dining I doubt that will be a winning strategy though.

This also means Amazon believes a combination will work best going forward. Physical locations requiring human labor to keep up with, coupled with their online presence.

This is an awful dystopian future. One of the benefits of shopping is human contact, no matter how brief. Sitting isolated at my computer all day causes a change in my mindset and makes me feel quite lonely actually. I miss human interaction and need to get out of the house to experience sensory stimuli. Imagine sitting in all day buying crap I don't actually need - I can't. My opinion is that we are gregarious animals who need to meet in groups called families or groups called colleagues, or groups called friends.

This is not a positive trend in my opinion and could atomise society even further until we feel no need to treat our neighbours with concern because all we are doing is protecting our little corner of privacy.

I don't mean any disrespect to you because you seem keen on the idea of this level of automation but I have to say it as I see it.

This is an awful dystopian future. One of the benefits of shopping is human contact, no matter how brief. Sitting isolated at my computer all day causes a change in my mindset and makes me feel quite lonely actually. I miss human interaction and need to get out of the house to experience sensory stimuli. Imagine sitting in all day buying crap I don't actually need - I can't. My opinion is that we are gregarious animals who need to meet in groups called families or groups called colleagues, or groups called friends.

This is not a positive trend in my opinion and could atomise society even further until we feel no need to treat our neighbours with concern because all we are doing is protecting our little corner of privacy.

I don't mean any disrespect to you because you seem keen on the idea of this level of automation but I have to say it as I see it.

I like the idea that Amazon is expanding in such a way that their customers no longer shop exclusively from a computer but now shop in a brick and mortar store, guaranteeing some human contact, no matter how brief it is.

I also like that this shopping experience will allow me to minimize my time spent with strangers, and allow me to spend more time with family, colleagues, and friends.

Edited by zapatos

???

This would be more along the lines of doing away with checkout lines. Most feel the same way about human interaction. Should see a corresponding increase in positions that more directly help customers.

Supposed to be starting public trials this year. Be interesting to see how well it does when confronted with real behaviors of shoppers and shoplifters.

Supposed to be starting public trials this year. Be interesting to see how well it does when confronted with real behaviors of shoppers and shoplifters.

I didn't see where this would have any impact at all on shoplifters. How do you see this sales model affecting them?

I didn't see where this would have any impact at all on shoplifters. How do you see this sales model affecting them?

Normally people are caught because they are acting suspicious trying to hide things. In this case you figure out a way to fool the system you could walk out without arousing suspicion.

I like the idea that Amazon is expanding in such a way that their customers no longer shop exclusively from a computer but now shop in a brick and mortar store, guaranteeing some human contact, no matter how brief it is.

I also like that this shopping experience will allow me to minimize my time spent with strangers, and allow me to spend more time with family, colleagues, and friends.

But, it is impersonal contact. No one asks you if you need anything and you are being watched by a computer eye - this is pretty creepy in my opinion. There probably would have to be increased security to stop people from sneaking in and stealing things etc... I like talking to store clerks as part of my interaction with people. I suppose that this is a function of increasing age and I now have more time to speak with people and have meaningful exchanges rather than the brief, mandatory exchanges of impetuous youth.

Shoplifters would need an Amazon account to enter but, if they wish to shoplift, it could be done if the item is concealed. I am not a shoplifter by the way...

Edited by jimmydasaint

How is this any different from self-checkout lines? It's really not. It's just simpler and more advanced.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2016/10/19/498571623/episode-730-self-checkout

The underlying idea here is to minimize/erase friction in all transactions. Keep things smooth and quick and free up time in our lives / reduce wasted time so we can spend it more wisely where we want and with whom we want, not just a random stranger at the checkout for a bite-sized 10 second interaction with actual humans.

In the UK, my stores self checkout line have a full time assistant on hand who helps people when they mess up. They mess up about 50% of the time and slow down the line considerably. I have this down to a fine art now if I really need to. Normally I only use them when I want to make a package for some homeless person(s) outside the store. What a saint eh?

Shoplifters would need an Amazon account to enter but, if they wish to shoplift, it could be done if the item is concealed. I am not a shoplifter by the way...

I don't think so. They encourage you to conceal the item by placing it in your shopping bag.

Growing up in Glasgow, as a young schoolboy I was told about shoplifting tricks from a friend who was part of a shoplifting group in the school, who would attend until lunch time, take orders for trousers, jackets etc... and steal them in the afternoon for delivery next morning at school, to be sold at discount prices. Quite good customer service really. I cannot tell you any of the tricks as I would be encouraging the breaking of laws.

Nevertheless, I take the point that mistakes could be made and that the implicit honesty of the shopper is relied upon.

If I had to guess, the potential losses from theft being referenced here probably pales in comparison to the savings of not having to pay employees to do this same work. On net, they're still likely profiting quite well, potentially even more so.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.