Games on Linux

RedAlert

If you're prepared to pay a (small) subscription to Cedega, then yes. Although, you have to realise that it's not going to be very fast, but it'll be playable. I've heard good things, but I'm not prepared to pay the subscription so I dual boot ;)

Yes, Wine isn't particularly efficient, but then again, it was never designed for gaming originally. However I believe an offshoot (called WineX) evolved into Cedega.

Yeah it did i think. Can't you still get Cedega/WineX via CVS(One Link) . Ok that takes more effort and is more complicated to install but at least its free. Also, Cedega doesn't work with EVERY game does it? Think theres still alot of issues with it with certain games (although the same could be said when simply running the games on Windows).

I think someone suggested VMWare, but does VMWare support accelerated graphics etc? I think i had a problem with it before (trying to install Ragnarok Online on a virtual machine and it wouldnt work due to lack of proper DirectX support etc with the hardware), although alot of games will have a software mode.

As i think everyone has said dual-booting is probably the best bet, as then you can play the game in its native environment and get the full whack out of it. I dual-boot on this machine but VERY rarely boot into windows as i can play any games on my laptop (windows only) and i dont play that many games anyways so its not really vital for me. Good luck anyways and i hope you enjoy using linux as much as I and I'm sure many posters in this thread have.

I duel boot, you need to create partitians on your hard disk (or use a second disk which is what I do) one for your windows install, and one for your linux install. It's a bit more complicated than installing a single os but still quite simple, search google for how to's on linux windows duel booting.

How would I double boot? And Is it a good thing to double boot? These are the specs of my computer:

1.8ghz speed

300+ RAM (Not quite sure exactly how much)

40GB hardrive space

128 MB vid ram

If you install something like Mandrake on a pc that's already running windows it will guide you through the process, creating the appropriate partitions and installing a bootloader to give you the choice of O/S on start-up.

If you install something like Mandrake on a pc that's already running windows it will guide you through the process, creating the appropriate partitions and installing a bootloader to give you the choice of O/S on start-up.

Oh I see....

Yeah, I heard a lot of people talk highly about Linux, so I am seriously consider switching.

It's come a long way in the past few years. It's not really near XP, but it's certainly getting there. A lot of the holdups have been due to XFree being an utter behemoth and implementing next to no changes, but now xorg has come along, things are speeding up rather quickly. I just can't wait until we start seeing things like composite come out mainstream :)

Cedega branched from WINE, and is now making money off of it. They do contribute back to WINE, though.

Also, calling WINE crap just shows ignorance. It hasn't even reached v1.0, so don't judge too quickly. Also, once WINE is fully developed it will work with any windows program, without emulation and at normal speeds. Cedega is just a quick fix to allow you to play games.

There is ReactOS, which is still in developement. It aims to be an open source OS that supports windows from the ground up. (Basically, they are recreating windows). It is still very new, though.

Also, I think dual booting and setting up linux should be a seperate sticky, since it comes up so much. I will contribute to the content of the thread if desired.

Those sorts of games don't come along very often. The games on that particular site appear mainly because of the server aspect. Stuff like UT, Doom3 etc have a pretty dominant multi-player aspect, and as such most of the game gets ported for the servers and hence you get a client version as well.

The reason: Linux isn't very gaming-oriented. Performance (compared to Windows counterparts) is mediocre at best. Perhaps in the future, gaming developers will realise how far Linux has come - however, they won't care until Linux becomes more of a dominant desktop market.

Performance on Linux is not poor simply because it's linux. A game actually designed to run on linux would probably be more reliable and faster.

The reason that performance is poor is ether because of WINE or Cedega, or just the fact that the game is a port. Also, there is no DirectX for linux (it's proprietary) which really hinders performance. That means the games need to use OpenGL (and we know that some games just aren't designed for GL in the first place).

The best thing that can happen in linux gaming right now is a DirectX for linux.