Carl Sagas religion

redbin

Hi guys, i'm new here but i wanted to share with you a video and want to know what you think.
do you guys remember carl sagans quote "A religion old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the universe as revealed by modern science, might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths. Sooner or later, such a religion will emerge." from pale blue dot?
i watched this video today.

these people want to spread this view and i checked there livestream and they get quite some shit for it.

the video is pretty sensational and dramatic and people say its a cult.
Just wanted to have your opinion on it, maybe you know this "singularity group" (lol) already?

they also showed this video which convinced me actually to look into it more

post-124366-0-34672100-1480266406.jpg

!

Moderator Note

Welcome to SFN!

Normally, since we're a science discussion site, videos aren't allowed to take the place of your own arguments, and members should be able to participate without watching lengthy videos. But I think you gave us enough in your OP for discussion, so I'll leave the videos there in case anyone would like to watch.

I hope promoting this video isn't your agenda, and we all look forward to hearing your thoughts on this concept as well.

I viewed both videos, that first one reminds me of the standard, and sadly effective, Scientology propaganda. Those testimonials that start around 18:00 are spot on of Scientologist fair. "OOOW, I'm so much more aware now!" . . . . "I feel so much more intelligent!". . . . Blah Blah Blah.

my opinion is, i am very intrigued.

the video is not something i enjoy watching due to its over dramatic, sensational style.

my interest grew when i looked into it a bit more. the main message is, everybody has one emotional drive and when you can replace this drive with a love for logic (which is defined as the consistent patterns that bring about reality) you become this "enlightened" person. i don't really care about being enlightened because my life is comfortable already :D but i am just wondering if this is a way to bring people from christianity or any other religion to this one.

@Memamma l know i was also confused. i guess pantheism and spinoizism are similar. i just saw in this video that michio kaku said einstein believed in spinozas god https://youtu.be/2D8ze789jss?t=5m28s