George Orwell

DrmDoc

For you bibliophiles familiar with the works of one of the greatest literary figures of the 20th century, I found this very illuminating The School of Life video on the life and time of George Orwell. The video discusses the seminal quality of Orwell's Animal Farm and 1984, which contain several prescient parallels to our society and current political environment. I recall his works being required reading from high school thru college.

If you liked GO you should read Gerald Seymour novels.

But don't miss a word, he doesn't waste them or include unnecessary ones.

Of course we have also had variations on the theme recently with the Divergent and Hunger Games films, and books.

Science Fiction has long explored possible extrapolations of current situations

I also found

Billenium - J G Ballard

Repent Harlequin said the Tic-Toc Man - Harlan Ellison

very thoughtful.

Edited by studiot

An interesting 13 minutes, and timeless commentary on our current state of affairs. Thanks for sharing.

I remember his Animal Farm referenced in high school as a fable on the fallacy of Communism. Now it portents to me the rise of the Trump regime and the Republicans, where pigs profess to support and represent the workers class only to greedily exploit and consume them.

Parents at my niece's school in North Carolina are complaining that 1984 is recommended reading. Apparently the theme is too adult. Not read it myself: is it too much for 13 year olds?

I don't think it is the type of book that will appeal to that age. It may even do more harm than good in them avoiding Orwell all together.

Parents at my niece's school in North Carolina are complaining that 1984 is recommended reading. Apparently the theme is too adult. Not read it myself: is it too much for 13 year olds?

It's definitely a mature read laced with adult themes that may not be clear to the 13 year old pubescent mind without adult guidance. They'd probably find Animal Farm more interesting.

Edited by DrmDoc

For you bibliophiles familiar with the works of one of the greatest literary figures of the 20th century, I found this very illuminating The School of Life video on the life and time of George Orwell.

I'd forgotten about "Down and Out in Paris and London" and just how similar he and John Steinbeck are in their political outlook.

"Cannery Row" and "Sweet Thursday", for instance, are so similar to "Down and Out in Paris and London" they could have been written by GO had he been American.

The other parallel I get from that video is their understanding of the wisdom of the common man, rather than the intelligentsia and their tendency to throw off previously acquired wisdom in favour of 'the brave new world'.

But if it's Sci-fi you want with a comparable wisdom, then Isaac Asimov's "Foundation series" is a go too.

Edited by dimreepr

Animal Farm and 1984 are rightly considered classics. They are so powerful that they may have helped prevent the spread of authoritarian political systems. Possibly the only remaining 1984 society now is N Korea.

But I also very much like "Coming Up for Air." There is lesson there in the mixed success one has in attempting to revisit one's past, which I find poignant.

Hard to believe that somebody says that.

Believe that was tongue in cheek.

[mp][/mp]

We need to stop pretending kids can't handle difficult topics. IMO, it's one of the few things they are born capable of handling.

More broadly... Are we trying to elevate our culture or anchor it to lowest common denominators? Do we wish to sterilize the minds of our young or nourish them? Do we want to encourage difficult thought provoking conversations or run from and silence them?

If you feel the answer to these questions is clear, then I suggest so too is the answer to your own.

The story that really had an impact on me when I was in my early teens was Golding's Lord of the Flies.

I didn't think we ( adolescents ) could be such little pri*ks.

Yeah, I found it pretty visceral and unnerving as a 14-15 year old that we could be like this. It was required reading in school at the time.

The story that really had an impact on me when I was in my early teens was Golding's Lord of the Flies.

I didn't think we ( adolescents ) could be such little pri*ks.

Big pri*ks have to start somewhere don't they? I'm confident of several who haven't evolved much since knowing them way back when in my youth. Left on their own, children can be cruel little...

Edited by DrmDoc

• 1 year later...