Robot operates in eye

Itoero

Surgeons in Oxford have used a robot to operate inside the eye - in a world first. A team at Oxford's John Radcliffe Hospital used the device, controlled via a joystick, to remove a membrane one hundredth of a millimetre thick. Patient Bill Beaver, 70, said it was "a fairytale". Surgeons hope the procedure will pave the way for more complex eye surgery than is currently possible with the human hand.

OK...

I need a robot to go in and rebuild the damaged optic nerve of my left eye where the cells make the bend from the retina to the optic nerve.

Stem cells injected directly into the area, to replace the dead cells damaged by PDS glaucoma should do it.

When can I book an appointment ?

( just kidding, but I am hoping...

then maybe, I can stop squinting so much )

Edited by MigL

OK...

I need a robot to go in and rebuild the damaged optic nerve of my left eye where the cells make the bend from the retina to the optic nerve.

Stem cells injected directly into the area, to replace the dead cells damaged by PDS glaucoma should do it.

When can I book an appointment ?

( just kidding, but I am hoping...

then maybe, I can stop squinting so much )

You might find this to be interesting. They regenerate optic nerve axons with gene therapy.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160114162055.htm

Very interesting, thanks Itoero.

I always assumed the ganglion cells that make the 'bend' in the optic nerve cup, and which get damaged by the excessive pressure of Glaucoma, to be different from regular nerve cells or axons.

Maybe there is hope.

Very interesting, thanks Itoero.

I always assumed the ganglion cells that make the 'bend' in the optic nerve cup, and which get damaged by the excessive pressure of Glaucoma, to be different from regular nerve cells or axons.

Maybe there is hope.

I found a picture about the bend between the retina and optic nerve.

It shows that the bend is created by retinal ganglion axons, which is good news since axons regenerate a lot easier then cell bodies.

cn_ii_-_optic_nerve_2_(edit_b)1315973769

I have a neuromuscular disease with macular degeneration and damage on my optic nerve...the more I know about this, the better. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.