Help Me Understand The Big Bang and Universe

GrandMasterK

I got a few questions. Did the particles and stuff from the big bang move out faster then the speed of light and if so, how? Would that mean that we can see one end of the universe but not the other on account of the universe not being old enough to see the other side? (assuming the earth is not in the center of the universe)

All I really know about the big bang is it was space and matter and energy and whatever else compressed to a singularity, then exploded, shooting particles and elements and eventually after a very long time of expansion and all that hoo-ha, dust and what not started to form together and start spawning stars...which sorta stuck to gravity centers...making galaxies. Then the stars, either spawned planets from there own...materials or the remaining dust formed around the stars into planets, which the sheer though of is pretty cool. So thats very bold, but that's all I know.

What was the stuff the big bang unleashed, was it a small list of basic fundemental particles and elements or what is it everything in the form of gas (everything can be in gas form cant it?)

Does the universe keep gaining matter or does it stay the same and change forms, or does it slowly decay. Can you really completely destroy something, take every single part of it's exsistance out...or do the atoms/particles always remain?

When animals grow, are they really adding mass to the world or are they just taking existing mass and changing form? Or to put it in a little scenario, if your own personal universe has a 2ft 3 dimensional cube that weighs 10 pounds and nothing else just an empty vacuum, can it grow? can it weigh more? can it grow and weigh more? can it do these things on it's own or does it have to take something and add it?

Can you make something from nothing?

Can we take molecules out of the air, mess with them and form them into something else?

Is there a limit to how hot something can get? Fire is hot, lava and magma is hotter, cores of planets which are what I understand are liquid metal are hotter, and the gases on the sun are even hotter then that, so when you hit the millions and billions and trillions of degrees, what form is this heat in, gas? Is it always gas that heats up? What causes things to hit that temperature and what the hell are the particles made of at that are sittin around chillin in heat like that? Why is there a limit to how cold something can get?

And is it me, or does a trillion degrees seem excessive?

I dont know what gravity is as far as....is it a wave or a magnetic field of some sort or whatever, but if it can push things to the ground, does that at all suggest that telekenesis could work? Waves and particles are two different things right? So what are waves made out of? doesnt there have to be something behind the force/energy that bumps molecules together to make sound waves. Up until just 5 minutes ago I was sittin here thinking that atoms or strings or whatever is all the way down there is everything, the fundemental pieces to every and all kinds of puzzles, then I thought of waves and got completely screwed up.

I got a few questions.

Actually, I counted at least twenty three, so I might not get through all of them. Also, I am no cosmologist, so these are the simplified answers, and all simplifications contain errors.

Did the particles and stuff from the big bang move out faster then the speed of light and if so, how?
An aspect of the big bang, called inflation, used to explain observations that are inconsistent with the basic theory, requires that the early universe expanded faster than light. But please note that it is space itself which is expanding, carrying the contained matter with it. I have no idea of the mechanism that caused this to happen.
Would that mean that we can see one end of the universe but not the other .......(assuming the earth is not in the center of the universe)
The universe does not have a centre. The conventional analogy is to imagine the surface of a sphere: it doesn't have one.
What was the stuff the big bang unleashed' date=' was it a small list of basic fundemental particles and elements or what is it everything in the form of gas (everything can be in gas form cant it?)

[/quote']99% plus was hydrogen and helium, with a smattering of lithium, and possibly some berylium. (I'm unsure about the latter: try googling "big bang" "element formation".) Actually that simplification is so gross it is wrong. Initially we have a 'sea' of fundamental particles and energy that 'condenses' into the familiar elements (as above) and seventy percent plus 'dark matter' - an ill defined, poorly understood, undetected material, required by theory to explain observations.

When animals grow' date=' are they really adding mass to the world or are they just taking existing mass and changing form?

[/quote'] They are taking the additional mass from their environment. Matter can neither be created or destroyed in the course of a chemical reaction. [it can be converted to or from energy in nuclear reactions.]

Can you make something from nothing?

No. See above' date=' but.......

Yes, possibly. A vacuum is not empty, but is filled with virtual particles and anti-particles that come into existence for an instant then annihilate themselves. Some have speculated that the Universe is a giant version of this. [Google "quantum vacuum fluctuation"']

Can we take molecules out of the air, mess with them and form them into something else?
Plants do it all the time - photosynthesis.
Is there a limit to how hot something can get?.........what form is this heat in, gas?....... Why is there a limit to how cold something can get?
Heat is energy in the form of particle motion. Theoretically I don't think there is an upper limit. As particles become hotter it is easier for them to break away from their neighbours, so that hot materials tend to be gases. [Google "plasma"]. When all motion stops, we are at absolute zero.
And is it me' date=' or does a trillion degrees seem excesive?[/i']

I have a simple rule: If you can imagine something, or understand it, it is probably not advanced physics.

That universe being sphere shaped throws me off. I'm having a hard time contemplating it. That would be looking at the universe like it's a sheet right? Sorta like when they talk about alternate dimensions being sheets stacked on each other. I dont even know how to go about visualizing something like that. Every direction you go in you eventually end up where you started?

I always just looked at the universe how I look at a galaxy, galaxies being the stars, the center of the universe being the bright center of a galaxy, and then if you head out to far you basically reach a wall of space to nothingness that you cant pass which now that I really think about it sounds less believable then anything I've heard that I've chosen to disregard. The whole thing is so crazy I cant help but laugh.

• 3 weeks later...

The beginning of the universe is very confusing. But on some science project for school, I was looking up theories and I ended up developing my own. Some ideas have been thought of before, but all of these I deducted on my own, so I did not steal these Ideas. I really came up with it myself. If any spare time, ask some questions and see what you think about it.

What it says is that our universe was created in a vortex created by a

black hole. First, I have to say something which you may or may not

believe. I believe the universe doesn't truly have any physical

beginning or an end to it, it has always existed and will always exist.

Now,

let us say that there is a universe which has a black hole. This black

hole has gravity so intense that it even pulls light in. Now let us

say this, the same happens in a parallel universe (this is a 'far out'

theory, but it makes sense in the end.) Now, there has been another

question tough to answer, "what is at the edge of our universe?" This

has

probably already been thought of at least once before, but I believe

that the edge of the universe is a big area of Absolute Zero. What I

call it is the AZZ, for Absolute Zero Zone. Anyway, the black hole has

gravity so intense, it pierces through the physical dimensions, all the

way to the AZZ. This is hard to describe and I will state this in

greater

detail later. Each black hole is now within the AZZ. The gravity of

each end of the black hole is what brings them together, similar to a

wormhole, or Einstein-Rosen bridge. Now, the black holes on each end

bring in matter from their universe. The matter of each side is linked

together in the middle, causing them to collide at the speed of light.

In the guiness book of world records, the densist matter ever created

was two gold atoms shot at each other at the speed of light, creating

for an instant a particle believed to be as dense as a primordial atom,

the atom which exploded containing our universe. Now, the matter fuses

together, each side bringing in more and more matter. As the matter

fuses, it is within the AZZ. The matter fuses into a star inside a

black

hole. The black hole fuses the matter to create a great amount of

energy. At first, the universe may seem like a star. But as time

develops

and more and more matter is sucked inside, the star is fed, continually

fusing and expanding the new universe. After many years, the star

begins to spread its energy over such a large area. This area has

gravity

that in random segments, can clump, creating galaxies, stars, just

about whatever we have developed in our own universe. Now, once the

universe can no longer expand, what happens to a supermassive star? It

develops a black hole. Now what happens next? Does the new black hole

of

such great proportion suck up everything in the universe? If so, what

happens when the black hole is the only thing left? I believe that the

universe which previously existed has been emptied into its final black

hole into another one, creating a new universe with matter added from

another universe, or perhaps from a spiral galaxy. This ends up

becoming a chain of universes linked up in a net of black hole vortexes

and

universes, all within the AZZ.

The reason I believe that the edge of the universe is because it is

theoretically nothing. I related matter and energy to time and space,

and

developed something I couldn't believe I had never thought of. They

relate. Matter is not the same, but it correlates perfectly with

space.

And what would happen if time didn't exist? We would freeze in place,

right? Wouldn't that same thing happen if energy didn't exist. The

reason that AZZ exists is because it has no time and no space, so it

has

no matter or energy. Absolute Zero can never be reached because it is

a hole in the time space continuum. Matter needs time to continue

moving on, same as energy needs matter to exist. It would be like

space

had no time, things exist yet cannot be changed. What of time without

space? It would have nothing to continue, cancelling out the other.

Absolute Zero is not just a temperature, it is a type of physics. I

learned that if matter doesn't exist, energy has nowhere to be. So if

matter

containing energy were to theoretically exist in a zone of Absolute

Zero, it would come back with the same energy it originally had. No

energy would leak out because outside of it no matter exists to leak

to.

My conclusion is that Absolute Zero does not follow the laws of

conduction or convection. Therefore, Absolute Zero is not cold, it is

Absolute

Nothingness.

There's only one reason that we had to come up with the "big bang" theory, and that's logic. Mathematically, unless the early universe was highly ordered, we wouldn't experience causality. Whereas human experience shows the majority of things going from ordered to disordered, in a universe without a big bang, the probability of something being disordered would be much higher, so for us to find a highly ordered object would force us to assume that it had been formed from disordered parts.

As for black holes, they are simply the ultimate experession of disorder, because the highest state for our universe to be in would be a uniform hot nebula. Gravity broke that down into clumps we see as galaxies, and further down into clumps we know as black holes.

Also, we really don't know anything about a "universal edge" as it were. Spacetime is, proven, curved, and thus an edge would only exist in a four-dimensional model of the universe. More modern theories place us on an expanded string which manifests itself as our three-dimensional spacetime, which exists in only a small fraction of real "space".

Here's one way to think about it. Imagine a "1" space-dimensional universe occupied by a dot. This dot can only move forward or backward. Since its spaceitme is curved, the "line" of his universe forms a circle, and thus if he travels long enough he'll arrive back at the spot where he started. Now, imagine this universe-circle is really one slice of a tube. Theres room for an infinite number of "1" dimensional circles.

Moving up, we need to make a "2" space-dimensional universe. So, we have a circle for length and a circle for width (a sphere as it were). If a dot in this universe moves in any direction, he'll arrive back at the spot he's at. Thus, the 2 dimensional universe rests on a three dimensional frame. This frame could coexist as a slice of a 4-dimensional "super-cylinder" as it were.

Finally, you have us, a "3" space-dimensional universe. If we took a ship and went up, or down, or left, or right, or forward, or backward, we'd end up at the same spot in space, eventually. Thus, according to our previous logic, we are on the surface of a 4-dimensional "super-sphere", which could theoretically be a slice of a 5-dimensional "super-super-cylinder". Thus an infinite number of universes could exist right next to eachother, at an indistinguisable distance from us, but in a direction we can't travel.

This is the idea of a "sphereical" (or rather, supersphereical) universe: we exist as a three dimensional surface on a four dimensional object, just as the flat-universe would exist as a two dimensional surface on a three dimensional object. In reality, our universe therefor has 4 observable dimensions of space: height, width, depth, and an unnamed fourth, which we can only observe by the fact that spacetime curves.

-Ravings of a student at 2:30 AM; take with caution.//

Post over mine:

Absolute zero zone?

The fact is, Absolute zero is still hypothetical. Black holes are the most energetic objects in the universe, because they take in alot more energy than they give off, and are therefore not at absolute zero.

Secondly, AZ can only apply to particles, not 'empty' spacetime. We can get very very very close to absolute zero on earth, but by its very nature nothing can reach absolute zero: second law of thermodynamics makes sure of that.

The hole "black hole universe" idea has some psuedoscientific grounding though, in that a mass black hole would be a singularity. However, that would be a stagnant, high entropy universe*. A hell of a lot of energy would be needed to kick that back into uniform cosmic gas.

*Contrary to what you might think, a black hole is NOT an organized item. Just because its compressed doesn't give it low entropy. Since any change within a black hole would go completely unnoticed, it has very high entropy. So, the "big bang" occured when, for some reason, an unorganized, high entropy singularity was hit with enough energy to go into a perfectly uniform distribution of material accross an infinite expanse of space. Thus, our universe WANTS to be a high entropy singularity again.

Grand Master K! Are you kieran? Cos I know a guy who goes to my school who goes by the alias Grand Master Kieran. This would be a whacky coincidence if you are.

Heat is energy in the form of particle motion. Theoretically I don't think there is an upper limit.
Matter cannot move faster than the speed of light, so I would expect a nucleus to reach a point where it cannot move faster due to this restriction. Does this apply even at a quantum level?

Wait a minute now im confused. If temperature is the speed that atoms bounce around then why is there a temperature in the vacuum of space? Is it that the temperature isnt really there until you put a matter in it. Like, are the atoms that make up the outside layer of spaceships the atoms that are slowing down and getting super cold? Or if you can have heat and cold in a vacuum, how is it there?

Wait a minute now im confused. If temperature is the speed that atoms bounce around then why is there a temperature in the vacuum of space? Is it that the temperature isnt really there until you put a matter in it. Like, are the atoms that make up the outside layer of spaceships the atoms that are slowing down and getting super cold? Or if you can have heat and cold in a vacuum, how is it there?

There is no temperature in space, but atoms can be heated by the electromagnetic waves from the sun. I dont know why you are under the impression that there is heat there, perhaps if you word your current understanding better I may be able to tell you where you are wrong.

I guess that answers my question. But now I have a question, what is a wave exactly as far as it's physical exsistance. How do you detect it how do you prove it's there. Electromagnetic waves dont need atoms to travel like sound waves do right? I thought everything was made out of atoms so if it is not, what other neat stuff exists that isnt made up of atoms or requires atoms?

If telekenesis was possible in this universe, would it work with waves, interacting with the atoms of an object and manipulating it by force?

I thought everything was made out of atoms so if it is not, what other neat stuff exists that isnt made up of atoms or requires atoms?
The Particle Adventure:

Physicists have developed a theory called The Standard Model that explains what the world is and what holds it together. It is a simple and comprehensive theory that explains all the hundreds of particles and complex interactions with only: 6 quarks, 6 leptons, 6 antiquarks, 6 antileptons, and the force carrier particles, like the photon.

http://particleadventure.org/particleadventure/frameless/startstandard.html