What to do if you are bullied as an adult?

jimmydasaint

Maybe I have overlooked it, but where the heck does everybody live where physical altercations ending in assault seem to be the norm? Among youths, sure, but adults?

A typical English council estate has some stunted 50 year old teenagers in them, especially those that are into substance abuse.

• 3 months later...

Maybe I have overlooked it, but where the heck does everybody live where physical altercations ending in assault seem to be the norm? Among youths, sure, but adults?

I totally agree with you. Violence is the tool of the weak. Bullying can be defeated by using psychology.

I find it really unsettling when adults (but also adolescents and kids) reply to news articles on Facebook that e.g. a convicted murderer has been freed after sitting out his time, and then they reply things as they should kill him, he should be relieved of his civil rights, they should torture and kill him ... And then we haven't even mentioned reactions to posts concerning pedophilia.

Public opinion takes mental illness and psychological well-being (or the lack of it) too little into account when flinging its coloured view into the world. The things that certain people dare to wish that would happen to murderers, rapists, pedophiles, ... are, in my opinion, often way worse than the crime committed by the subject. They appear ISIS-ish in my eyes.

Lots of comments in this video (

) are stuffed with such wishes, directed at a certain William, a kid. If curious enough, the comment by "sarah singleton" is quite ... disturbing, as are the bulk of comments in reaction to her comment.

However ... I'm most certain that none of these people would ever hurt a fly. Telecommunication has made threats and looking "tough" much easier than real-life situations and lots of these comments will probably only be posted for likes by, in essence, the same narrow-minded nitwits. Yet, I'm shocked lots of times when reading that kind of stuff. And I'm not sure whether they'd actually do the things they post against rapists and pedophiles when confronted by them.

Concerning the last, rather off-topic, but I really find it important to screen every convict of any presence of mental illness. Not all pedophiles have pedophilic disorder (DSM-V), and the latter ones (the ones with the disorder), imo, should not be treated (locked up) equally as those without the disorder. But that aside: we should grow towards a society in which psychiatry takes up more space in the federal system, including justice. Criminals belonging in psychiatric wards should be sent there instead of jail, or even instead of receiving death penalty.

Edited by Function