8 glass of water per day???

gib65

This site states that

The average urine output for adults is about 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) a day. You lose close to an additional liter of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. Food usually accounts for 20 percent of your total fluid intake, so if you consume 2 liters of water or other beverages a day (a little more than 8 cups) along with your normal diet, you will typically replace the lost fluids.

Also found this:

So where did this notion of 'eight glasses a day' come from? In 1945, the Food and Nutrition Board of the United States National Research Council wrote: 'A suitable allowance of water for adults is 2.5 litres daily in most instances... Most of this quantity is in prepared foods.'

Then in 1974, a book by nutritionist Frederick J Stare stated: 'How much water each day? This is usually well regulated by various physiological mechanisms, but for the average adult, somewhere around six to eight glasses per 24 hours and this can be in the form of coffee, tea, milk, soft drinks, beer etc. Fruits and vegetables are also good sources of water.'

Notice that both statements mention that most of the required water occurs in food and drink we consume anyway. But somehow, over the years, that qualification has disappeared.

http://www.abc.net.au/health/thepulse/stories/2005/09/15/1460760.htm

More info:

The desirable amount of water to drink each day has been promoted to the public in recent years to be 8 glasses each of 8oz (= 240 ml) each 24-hour period. This view had in the past been publicised by water authorities and bottled water manufacturers, with endorsement of this view by Kidney Health Australia.

However, after our Kidney Health Australia medical team conducted a critical review of published literature, we found there is a distinct lack of evidence in published literature supporting this position. As a result of this review our Board of Directors adopted the following position in regard to water intake.

Though no single formula fits everyone, knowing more about your body's need for fluids will help you estimate how much water to drink each day. The amount of fluid you need to drink depends on your size, activity level and the weather. The best way of knowing how much to drink is to drink enough to satisfy your thirst.

http://www.kidney.org.au/KidneyDisease/Drinkwaterinstead/tabid/703/Default.aspx

So, know your body and give it what it needs, bearing in mind that the body's needs will change with changing circumstances.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember that most edible nutrition contains a certain amount of water too. Perhaps this takes into account a few of the recommended 8 glasses and so that is why you crave significantly less quantities of water.

This is all an unfounded hypothesis though; I'm no doctor (yet).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Remember that most edible nutrition contains a certain amount of water too. Perhaps this takes into account a few of the recommended 8 glasses and so that is why you crave significantly less quantities of water.

This is all an unfounded hypothesis though; I'm no doctor (yet).

the nutrition you are referring to is not found in the diet of any civilized human, because only insects contain enough moisture to digest itself. any other food requires water to be consumed with th

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

the food itself. when you begin to 'crave' water, that craving only means you are already 15% dehydrated

the nutrition you are referring to is not found in the diet of any civilized human, because only insects contain enough moisture to digest itself. any other food requires water to be consumed with th

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

the food itself.

Well that is just a bunch of crap really isn't it, let me think of several examples where you don't need water with the food i'll start with soup, or oranges or any fruit and vegetables. Most meat also contains vast amounts of water as a percentage weight as well.

wrong. soup is a prepared item With water. cooked meat requires water to digest, citric acid in fruit negate the moisture content found in the fruit and still will dehydrate. veggies require water to properly digest. if you want to try to live a day using those above foods be my guest... soup shouldn't count due to it being prepared with water

wrong. soup is a prepared item With water. cooked meat requires water to digest, citric acid in fruit negate the moisture content found in the fruit and still will dehydrate. veggies require water to properly digest. if you want to try to live a day using those above foods be my guest... soup shouldn't count due to it being prepared with water

You are just talking absolute rubbish, go get a bag of oranges and put them in a juicer and see if you can live off it with other food.

Citric acid in no way negates the amount of water in fruit.

Completely and utterly wrong - it's called metabolic water, and some organisms rely upon it exclusively. It's not from special types of food, and can be gleaned from any fat, carb, or protein.
Gerbils would be a good example of this due to there very efficient loop of Henle meaning they can get all there water back. Edited by Psycho

I get dehydrated very easily. I drink at least a gallon of water a day. That may or may not have something to do with my heavy resistance training and the high-caloric diet that I need in order to train properly.

Under normal circumstances I still drink quite a bite of water. I don't think most people get enough water. The rule of thumb is if you feel thirsty, then you are already dehydrated.

You are just talking absolute rubbish, go get a bag of oranges and put them in a juicer and see if you can live off it with other food.

Citric acid in no way negates the amount of water in fruit.

Gerbils would be a good example of this due to there very efficient loop of Henle meaning they can get all there water back.

if you are so sure of your self, and are disiplined enough to try the above expironment. please do. like i said before the only nutrition that has enough moisture do digest itself and not dehydrate your self is insects.

i know what my training said and provided, so i would challenge you to try to eat foods like you say without drinking any water. like i said before, soup is a non player because it is prepared with water. every day for a week you should try it, just submit a "i ate this" list everyday and a scale of just how thirsty you are at the end of the day.

Opps. the post refers to the original challanger of insects are not the only nutrition that has sufficient moisture to digest without dehydration. not just to the quote'r. also it applies to anyone willing to try.

OH and im willing to make a bet over it, $20. if you are severely dehydrated or thirsty by the end of a day or week depending on what you eat i win, if you are not dehydrated at, all you win.

The bet is you can't drink nothing but orange juice?

I was specifying any type of fruit juice and that is my $20, you go away and make your own free money, lol.

I mean you could just eat lettuce as that is 90% water anyway.

Ok, the bet is that you can glean enough moisture from food through out the day that you will not become dehydrated. so saying that then you can assume that foods that have been "prepared" with water should be excluded because they are not accurately representing the moisture content found in the food item itself. juice should be excluded too as it is prepared with water, however, juice made from a juicer i could see would not fall under such presumptions.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

for instance, a noodle in the soup contains.. x moisture. and the amount of water required to digest the noodles is y. x<y so therefore eating the noodle would dehydrate you.

but if you were to say soup noodle has x moisture and the amount of water required to digest the soup noodle is y then x>>>>y depending on the amount of water added to the soup.

if you were to eat the soup noodle, it would not be an accurate representation of the actual moisture content found in the food itself.