Google Maps Oddity

mossoi

It looks like a plume of smoke over a house fire. It's oddly symmetrical, but that could just be due to the local conditions.

Actually, I think it must be something on the camera itself. A spot where it connects to an outer window on the satellite or airplane that took the picture, perhaps. The lighting on the object is wrong -- it's front-lit, and the rest of the terrain is top-lit.

It could be a government installation. They usually prefer not to give too much aerial recon over the web for security reasons.

They don't fuzz the google images. The White-house is just blocked out, and area 51 is left totally alone.

Actually, I think it must be something on the camera itself. A spot where it connects to an outer window on the satellite or airplane that took the picture, perhaps. The lighting on the object is wrong -- it's front-lit, and the rest of the terrain is top-lit.

At this level of zoom it would have to be a veryveryvery small thing on the camera, and the fact that it's lit casts large doubt on that for me (why would there be a light in a high-resolution camera? It would only introduce noise).

hot air balloon?

It would have top be a huge balloon, as there have been blimps caught that are smaller.

Dunno if anyone else has noticed, but there appears to be a small dent on the top-right of it.

Lol! It doesnt look like a high altitude balloon to me though, because you should be able to see it if you zoom out 4-5 times. It is almost impossible to see it then though, suggesting that it really is not very high up.

Those are different from the blob thing.

I'm not saying they were - I was responding to a comment that the images are not fuzzed out. The big clue was the quote that I included, that talked about fuzzed-out images of government installations.

There are also areas that are curiously "not available at high resolution" even though neighboring/surrounding areas are.

I'm not saying they were - I was responding to a comment that the images are not fuzzed out. The big clue was the quote that I included' date=' that talked about fuzzed-out images of government installations.

[/quote']

I wasn't clear; I meant the blob in the picture is different from the lack of resolution in the Capitol and Observatory views.

What quote? All I got was the links to the views.

I believe its not an actual physical thing, in the sky or on the ground... it must be a very tiny chip in the camera that would only be visible at residential level... once they took the picture they probably noticed it and fixed it afterwords

Only my theory though

I wasn't clear; I meant the blob in the picture is different from the lack of resolution in the Capitol and Observatory views.

What quote? All I got was the links to the views.

In post 10, I had quoted from Ollie in post 7. They do fuzz images, just not the way in the OP, as you correcty note.

Didn't mean for this to be a thing; if the quote isn't there I understand the confusion and since I assumed it was, I hope you understand my touch of sarcasm.