Would the world be a better place without religion?

Itoero

I'm atheist because my parents are atheists.

I was educated like a Catholic at school.

I often wonder how different I would be if my parents are and raised me Catholic.

My parents are Catholic, I'm baptised and so on, I went to Catholic schools. I'm still atheist, as are nearly all my friends, most of which were raised Catholic. Belgium is a breeding ground for heretics like us :).

Come break my leash and we can talk elsewhere. Goodbye.

I really don't understand what you mean by this, but I hope you have not taken offence.

Certainly none was intended so I apologise if you felt offended in any way.

I was hoping to cheer people up in this thread - perhaps I would be better keeping out of religion, I usually do.

Meanwhile you don't seem to be visiting the post I drew up especially for you in your electrical engineering thread.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think about preventing religion from being taught at school?

Are schools better of without religion?

But religion is part of our history, that's like saying "we have physics, why teach chemistry".

That is so wrong on so many levels.

No, I feel it's perfectly fine.

Because it's true.

There's a difference to teaching religion, and teaching about religion.

Frankly, I don't mind teaching the history of religion. But the actual aspects of it should be left up to the parents.

Additionally, I don't see what's wrong with a kid praying before he eats if he doesn't make a big scene about it.

But apparently bowing your head is reason for getting suspended at my school if you go to church.

Please explain, one level will do.

Physics and chemistry are science disciplines not meant nor capable of indoctrinating whereas teaching religion seeds fear, lack of skeptisism and lack of critical thinking in spongy, young minds. It is especially difficult to get rid of any indoctrination when it starts at a young age. Half of the posts on this forum is convincing evidence for the above. There, theres one for ya. Edited by koti

When religion is taught at school it should be a part of history and people should learn about many religions.

I was taught catholicism like it was a fact that God exists and I still remember all stories from the O.T. I was taught when I was maybe 9 years old.

That's a mellow form of indoctrination.

When religion is taught at school it should be a part of history and people should learn about many religions.

I was taught catholicism like it was a fact that God exists and I still remember all stories from the O.T. I was taught when I was maybe 9 years old.

That's a mellow form of indoctrination.

I totally agree with the first part of your post which states what religion teaching should be like. Unfortunately the second part of your post means that you have no idea what religion in school is like for the majority of people in this world.

I totally agree with the first part of your post which states what religion teaching should be like. Unfortunately the second part of your post means that you have no idea what religion in school is like for the majority of people in this world.

That's true. But I only explained my situation.

Today I heard that in Mexico the Church had a lot of 'power' and as reaction religion is banned in many public schools.

I completely support this sentiment. It can even be a separate subject together with some philosophy and ethics.

Parents want their children to be taught the specifics of one religion, it should be done outside a school and not during school hours (and definitely not using public funding).

I completely support this sentiment. It can even be a separate subject together with some philosophy and ethics.

Parents want their children to be taught the specifics of one religion, it should be done outside a school and not during school hours (and definitely not using public funding).

I think we can all agree with that. (+1)

Edited by dimreepr

Yes, +1; public funds should not be spent to indoctrinate people in a singular belief. If there's any one "belief" I've tried to drill into my children (five daughters; I've been around the block a few times), it's to THINK FOR THEMSELVES. I don't care what they believe, as long as they arrive at those beliefs through their own path and not simply by "swallowing" someone else's belief system.

As someone who attended and sent my children to Catholic schools, I couldn't disagree more with your sentiment that the specifics of one religion should not be taught in school. At least in the United States that is my right, and I think it is a mistake for others to believe they are justified in determining how my children learn.

I agree that no public funding should be used, but I object to your proposal which is essentially an attempt to suppress certain types of thoughts and beliefs.

No good will come from one group trying to control how another group chooses to teach their children about religion. If you feel religion is wrong, then convince them by showing them a better way.

As someone who attended and sent my children to Catholic schools, I couldn't disagree more with your sentiment that the specifics of one religion should not be taught in school. At least in the United States that is my right, and I think it is a mistake for others to believe they are justified in determining how my children learn.

I agree that no public funding should be used, but I object to your proposal which is essentially an attempt to suppress certain types of thoughts and beliefs.

No good will come from one group trying to control how another group chooses to teach their children about religion. If you feel religion is wrong, then convince them by showing them a better way.

I have absolutely no problem with your objection if all the parents and schools, had your qualities and critical thinks skills.

The problem I have is they just don't and that leads to things like teaching creationism, a little beyond the thin edge of the wedge.

I wouldn't want to deny you your rights, If you want a specific/religious education for your children, teach them yourself or pay a tutor/school, but since your society purports to be secular, why should the public pay for it?

Edited by dimreepr

What is wrong with your children learning about other religions? In what way does it infringe on your rights?

I can only speak for myself, not for my children. My position is that religion should be taught outside of public schools and certainly not out of tax payers money. I'm an atheist so my children will be taught critical thinking, curiosity for nature around them, respect for elders, empathy towards other beings, they will find out from me about their roots and traditions of their ancestors. They will also receive from me the values which I, my Father and his Father before him held dear. I would never think of imposing on my children what was imposed on me in the school system as far as religion is concerned. My children will not attend religion in school and then after be presented with a choice of what they want to do with their faith after their minds have been fed fairytales and fear for years. If my children decide to be priests, full blown Christian creationists, scientists, hair dressers, believers, non-believers or whatever - it will be their conscious, adult choice and I will try to shield them from any indoctrination for as long as I can...to maximize chances of them becoming the best version of themselves. Meanwhile while I'll be doing the above, I do not wish to take away your rights to do whatever you feel is good for you and your children nor I have any right to do so. I do have the right to tell you this though because it's an undeniable fact - don't kid yourself that you gave your children any choice.

Edited by koti

When children learn about many religions, you create children with an open mind...