Factors affecting diastolic pressure

StringJunky

Bodyweight? Hmm ... As far as I know, diastolic pressure is a consequence of the systolic pressure, and compliance of the blood vessels, more specifically arteries. The compliance, or the lack of it (when the pressure in your left heart reaches systolic pressure, the aortic valve opens and blood flushes through the aorta, diluting it, making the pressure drop substantially; however, your arteri(ol)es will 'rebounce'), contribute to the maintenance of blood pressure at the diastole, so that it doesn't fall back all the way to 0 mm Hg, but stereotypically stagnates at 80 mm Hg. This is the wind kessel phenomenon of arteri(ol)es, something you might want to look up.

As we age, the compliance of our vessels diminish. Hence, the wind kessel phenomenon also diminishes in effect, and the diastolic pressure may rise a bit. Bodyweight? I don't know specifically. There are factors that indeed, might interfer with vessel compliance (compression by fat, tumours, atherosclerosis, ...), to which bodyweight (and NEFA's & (LDL-)cholesterol) may very well contribute.

Edited by Function

Bodyweight? Hmm ... As far as I know, diastolic pressure is a consequence of the systolic pressure, and compliance of the blood vessels, more specifically arteries. The compliance, or the lack of it (when the pressure in your left heart reaches systolic pressure, the aortic valve opens and blood flushes through the aorta, diluting it, making the pressure drop substantially; however, your arteri(ol)es will 'rebounce'), contribute to the maintenance of blood pressure at the diastole, so that it doesn't fall back all the way to 0 mm Hg, but stereotypically stagnates at 80 mm Hg. This is the wind kessel phenomenon of arteri(ol)es, something you might want to look up.

As we age, the compliance of our vessels diminish. Hence, the wind kessel phenomenon also diminishes in effect, and the diastolic pressure may rise a bit. Bodyweight? I don't know specifically. There are factors that indeed, might interfer with vessel compliance (compression by fat, tumours, atherosclerosis, ...), to which bodyweight (and NEFA's & (LDL-)cholesterol) may very well contribute.

This is an academic question but I was interested to note my diastolic pressure rose from 60-65 to 80-90 during Zyban treatment. My systolic has been around 120 + /- 10. I have a BP monitor that I used everyday for a while. I've stopped the Bupropion a week now and just watching to see if my bp goes back to 120/60 with a resting pulse of 60-65. Typical at the moment is 130/88. This is with a minimum of 32km a day cycling. My BMI is at the top end of normal (about 24,8) and was wondering if a lower BMI would be better but I like being heavier. This is why I asked about weight being a factor. I'm taking an interest in my physical and functional statistics having reached my fifties and hypertension is a strong family trait; warfarin is common. I want to avoid that fate. I'm just trying to understand the factors and relationships between them atm.

This is an academic question but I was interested to note my diastolic pressure rose from 60-65 to 80-90 during Zyban treatment. My systolic has been around 120 + /- 10. I have a BP monitor that I used everyday for a while. I've stopped the Bupropion a week now and just watching to see if my bp goes back to 120/60 with a resting pulse of 60-65. Typical at the moment is 130/88. This is with a minimum of 32km a day cycling. My BMI is at the top end of normal (about 24,8) and was wondering if a lower BMI would be better but I like being heavier. This is why I asked about weight being a factor. I'm taking an interest in my physical and functional statistics having reached my fifties and hypertension is a strong family trait; warfarin is common. I want to avoid that fate. I'm just trying to understand the factors and relationships between them atm.

Careful with experimenting with (stopping treatment with) medicines and always consult your physician before making such decisions. Especially with drugs such as bupropion.

I'm not going to say indisputably that weight is a factor that might contribute to a raise in diastolic RR, but it may very well be one. As always, consult your physician with personal health-related questions (though I'm not to lecture you here, since you indicate the nature of interest in the matter, rather than explicitly asking for medical advice)

Careful with experimenting with (stopping treatment with) medicines and always consult your physician before making such decisions. Especially with drugs such as bupropion.

I'm not going to say indisputably that weight is a factor that might contribute to a raise in diastolic RR, but it may very well be one. As always, consult your physician with personal health-related questions (though I'm not to lecture you here, since you indicate the nature of interest in the matter, rather than explicitly asking for medical advice)

The Bupropion was part of smoking cessation which is now officially over and it's a matter of my body now going back to normal without it. No medical advice is being sought. I'm just tapping for information. I'm just interested in the blood pressure side and the cholesterol if that affects BP. My total cholesterol was about 3 prior to Hep C Tx and that went up to 8+ during ribavirin + interferon-A-2b Tx in Dec '15 and is now aound 5.8. Is there any possible relationship there?