Spherical Theory

Nuclei, atoms... the Earth and planets, the sun and stars, black holes, solar systems, galaxies... everything is a part of something and everything seems contained in a spherical manner.

If the Earth is part of the solar system, the solar system is part of the galaxy and (discounting walls etc..) the galaxy is ultimately part of the universe, who's to say what we call the universe isn't part of something greater?

This is just a semantic issue. The 'universe' is defined as everything there is, so if there is something beyond what we currently the call 'the universe' we would have to relable this as the universe instead.

Okay, but if a galaxy is effectivly a collection of stars and planets (superficially), and a wall is a collection of galaxies, could there be a collection of walls?

Sure. They're called super-clusters, if I remember the correct terminology.

I think you're right. I'd have to look it up but I think that's the right term. But it's easy to go further and ask what is a collection of super-clusters called?

The solar system isn't a sphere and neither are many galaxies. Superclusters are just a mess and the same applies to the way they seem to interact with themselves. So in short everything obeys the forces acting on it and not a specific shape.

Originally Posted by Zeth

The solar system isn't a sphere and neither are many galaxies. Superclusters are just a mess and the same applies to the way they seem to interact with themselves. So in short everything obeys the forces acting on it and not a specific shape.

I tend to disagree. I was thinking the same thing as Ewen the other day. Even though some Superclusters are just a mess right now, they will eventually combine into spherical patterns.

Originally Posted by Zeth

I tend to disagree. I was thinking the same thing as Ewen the other day. Even though some Superclusters are just a mess right now' date=' they will eventually combine into spherical patterns.[/quote']

That's exactly my point. I'm not suggesting everything appears to look spherical, more than everything equal forms something that appears to be self-contained. When more of these form and come together, they too form something that appears to be self-contained.

It seems to work from Nuclei upwards.

That's exactly my point. I'm not suggesting everything appears to look spherical' date=' more than everything equal forms something that appears to be self-contained. When more of these form and come together, they too form something that appears to be self-contained.

It seems to work from Nuclei upwards.[/quote']

Isn't this because when things interact they try to find an equilibrium of forces and a sphere is a natural balance of these forces?

Well yes, but it seems to me that everything is a part of something greater and everything has a collective name. I'm interested in knowing where that rule ends. What is a group of super clusters? And then what is a group of those? And so on and so forth.

As Severian said, "The 'universe' is defined as everything there is, so if there is something beyond what we currently the call 'the universe' we would have to relable this as the universe instead." and that is a very good point. I'm just interested in knowing where the groups of groups end and the imaginary boundaries of the universe begins.