Time travel theories

The lay man approach to time travel seems somewhat strange to me. Let us assume it is possible for a moment. Sorry to lower the tone, but the media (such as films and TV) shows theories of time travel that suggest that time is not linear and it is constantly warping through various states of existance - what I mean is, that if we were able to travel back through time and change events we would constantly be warping through various alternatative existances.

I think it is more sensible to suggest that time is linear. Also, I agree with the theory of time dilation - time may be slowed down or sped up relative to time in a different space - as suggested by Einstein and others.

However, Einstein also suggests that once velocity of matter matches the speed of light it stands still in time. Exceeding it results in reversing time and hence he determined that the speed of light was the maximum velocity attainable (I think) in the universe. I feel this is debateable.

Please submit your own theories or dispute these ideas.

Cheers

Gee

• 2 weeks later...
The lay man approach to time travel seems somewhat strange to me. Let us assume it is possible for a moment. Sorry to lower the tone' date=' but the media (such as films and TV) shows theories of time travel that suggest that time is not linear and it is constantly warping through various states of existance - what I mean is, that if we were able to travel back through time and change events we would constantly be warping through various alternatative existances.

I think it is more sensible to suggest that time is linear. Also, I agree with the theory of time dilation - time may be slowed down or sped up relative to time in a different space - as suggested by Einstein and others.

However, Einstein also suggests that once velocity of matter matches the speed of light it stands still in time. Exceeding it results in reversing time and hence he determined that the speed of light was the maximum velocity attainable (I think) in the universe. I feel this is debateable.

Please submit your own theories or dispute these ideas.

Cheers

Gee[/quote']

Assuming time travel is possible. I have thought about it alot, it is one of my favorite subjects. And I have read many threads here arguing that there is one linear timeline, or multiverse's and others.

I tend to think of it as both. I think there could be multiverse's, but not an infinite noumber of them. And if you were able to travel back in time things would stay linear, as long as you went back as a casual observer. I dont think you could go back in time with the intent to change any history. If you did you would most likely create a paradox, or infinity loop. Really messing things up.

I'm a newbie here so feel free to tear away.

At the speed of light some amazing things happen, firstly your mass when you're travelling at c will go to infinity, i.e. you will exsist at all points in the universe simultaneously. Also you shrug off all of the forces you meet in everyday life, below c. For insance electromagnetic forces gravitational etc... are all lost and there are proofs for all these things. When I'm done with my degree my masters and phd it's my life long ambition to create a time machine. A little extravagant, pretencious and far fetched, I have a feeling that it is possible, I want to find out if it is.

All that I try to remember when setting my sights on something that is currently unattainable, is that when they were going into space, who thought they could? People said it was impossible and they never would.