New Solar Roof

Raider5678

I'm ok with it looking good. I'd rather it be mandated and subsidized for those finacially unable

If somebody has enough money for house, probably have spare $4k for solar panels (certainly better investment than in bathroom/kitchen or pool in the garden).

$4k is cost of 18 m^2 of solar panels (14 units with 1600mm x 800mm, retail price $250-$285/unit), enough to get ~ 350 kWh/month energy.

Everything above $4k per 18 m^2 is Musk income...

Problem with people is such majority of them don't think in advance enough long.

They could spend $4k on these normal solar panel setup once (and be proud of using renewable energy source, so everybody can see it), and have energy from it to the end of their life free of charge,

but they often don't know mathematics and can't calculate.. and have to pay electricity bills month by month..

Edited by Sensei

$4K install cost that includes both materials and labor is far too low to possibly be accurate.

A normal roof replacement costs at least 2-3x that and these solar shingles from Tesla (while extremely cool and representing an important societal step forward) are clearly more expensive than normal asphalt or composition shingles, but I don't at all disagree with the thrust of your point.

http://www.roofingcalc.com/roof-replacement-cost/

Edited by iNow

$4k is cost of solar panels alone, here.

It's hard to discuss about labor costs. As one can set them up by himself/herself, while other, rich/lazy will prefer don't it by himself/herself.

Couple years ago I went to shop and looked at cost of solar panels (because I was interested in installing such on my roof/walls).

There is high VAT. 15% higher than in f.e. UK.

So in UK, the same panels I found here, would/could be for less (at least prior this brexit madness).

If you pay $4k and setup by yourself, it'll return in 5 years,

but if somebody will set up them, and increase cost of installation x2-x3, it'll return in 10-15 years of usage..

Edited by Sensei

$4K install cost that includes both materials and labor is far too low to possibly be accurate.

A normal roof replacement costs at least 2-3x that and these solar shingles from Tesla (while extremely cool and representing an important societal step forward) are clearly more expensive than normal asphalt or composition shingles, but I don't at all disagree with the thrust of your point.

http://www.roofingcalc.com/roof-replacement-cost/

I thought Musk said it would be about the same price as a normal roof?

Pretty sure he included projected savings on the energy bill with the utility company in that calculation, but hard to say as they've not yet publicly released pricing info on materials cost

I shall await the day. Within 5 years when I move out, I hope its done.

I wonder if solar technology has been changing too rapidly for solar roofing to take off in a large way - a big commitment to a production facility when PV costs for competing "add-on" systems can halve in a few years can be risky. That the PV technology still has so much potential for improvement may see this kind of integration deferred but I think we will eventually see some form that's an enduring winner, superior enough that it becomes the standard that is emulated . Others have tried and many have fallen by the wayside but I think it's inevitable that it does get successfully integrated into building materials - roofing of course, but also, depending on how cheap the PV components and integration can get, wall cladding and paving. It's functional life expectancy is a crucial element. Musk apparently is claiming 50 years which, if this can be relied on, going to change the economics; most solar panels can be expected to last 20-30 years and aren't functional roofing. Ultimately it may become a standard 'sweetener' for roofing products.

The complimentary energy storage systems are highly significant to solar fitted homes and businesses and to the whole solar PV market - what Tesla and others manage there is probably more worth watching than solar roof tiles.

I wonder if solar technology has been changing too rapidly for solar roofing to take off in a large way - a big commitment to a production facility when PV costs for competing "add-on" systems can halve in a few years can be risky. That the PV technology still has so much potential for improvement may see this kind of integration deferred but I think we will eventually see some form that's an enduring winner, superior enough that it becomes the standard that is emulated . Others have tried and many have fallen by the wayside but I think it's inevitable that it does get successfully integrated into building materials - roofing of course, but also, depending on how cheap the PV components and integration can get, wall cladding and paving. It's functional life expectancy is a crucial element. Musk apparently is claiming 50 years which, if this can be relied on, going to change the economics; most solar panels can be expected to last 20-30 years and aren't functional roofing. Ultimately it may become a standard 'sweetener' for roofing products.

The complimentary energy storage systems are highly significant to solar fitted homes and businesses and to the whole solar PV market - what Tesla and others manage there is probably more worth watching than solar roof tiles.

I would disagree, but that's your opinion. Edited by Raider5678

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.