Female Pshycology

what sort of pressure though?

you could push them out a plane at 14 thou feet with a few math questions, sure!

but you really need to define "pressure" properly before trying to work out a valid and fair test :)

Woman and men have been shown to react to stress in varying ways. However, regarding a TRAINED athlete, you may not find a systematic difference. I suspect it may be more of personality difference at that level.

If you have the ability, you should search the sports psychology literature.

Could you do a statistical analysis of marathon times over time?

Track how women's and men's best, mean, and median times have improved over the last three decades.

And track how race horses times have changes over the last three centuries.

But if you really want to measure sexual differences in response to stress, leave individuals alone with a cholicy baby for two hours [make sure they know they are being watched, so the baby doesn't get hurt]; that has got to be the most stressful situation I can imagine.

No i was thinking somthing like could i do somthing like take a female from my class and put them an intense situation like have a cocah yell at them or somthing to show how they are mentally or somthing like that

If we are talking physical endurance,

then (just as a thought experiment).

Men in general have more strength, they have bigger muscles,

with the correlating increases in stored calcium ions, stored glycogen,

they have a more efficient circulatory system, and more square inches of lung surface so they can exchange more oxygen. They have biggr livers with bigger reservoirs of muscle food. Greater body mass also means they can produce more pyruvic acid(I think), so physically men should have more indurance than women.

As for mentally, which man? Which woman?

I've seen children with more mental stamina than many adults of

both sexes.

Cheers.

Um, technically, women are better at endurance because a higher percentage of their total body mass is fat, thus providing them with additional stores of energy, explaining why women are able to excel in extreme endurance sports (ultramarathons).

No i was thinking somthing like could i do somthing like take a female from my class and put them an intense situation like have a cocah yell at them or somthing to show how they are mentally or somthing like that

What control would you use? How would you chose your test subject?

Why do you think a single high-school senior would be representative of roughly 50% of the human population?

I will predict how a 17-year-old girl would react to being bullied by an adult male; she will get scared, and get angry because she is scared, and cry because she is angry. But all that has nothing to do with how she would compete.

Your experiment would only measure how a single female of unknown representativeness responds to verbal abuse, and not how females in general compete in open gender situations, stressful [or abusive] or otherwise.

Physical stress experiments... well that might be hard to get willing participants.

If the woman is not an athlete, you could have her run a couple of miles and then have her perform a math or verbal test (Sports are also mental.).

If the woman is really hardcore, you could ask her math and verbal questions why you're exerting physical pain on her (Poking with needles, cattle prod =p, smacking with rubber bands, nothing that will cause real damage, just stress.).

However, the first test would probably be better. Something that combines physical and mental abilities together in a practical way, like paintball. Good luck.

Are planning on testing a male using the same criteria? If so, what "kind" of male (age, size, etc)? The genders have many different developmental rates, both psychological and physical, so it would be hard to find a 'control' to match your test subject specifically (and that's not even considering the very good point made about about how one random teenager really isn't representative of anything except for herself.)

Reply to:

Um, technically, women are better at endurance because a higher percentage of their total body mass is fat, thus providing them with additional stores of energy, explaining why women are able to excel in extreme endurance sports (ultramarathons).

Ultra marathons?

Are we like talking days or just a 24 hour one?

I'm not familiar with this sport.

I was thinking more of 5-20 Km runs.

Now I've heard this before but noone has ever provided

me with a source study or paper or anything else.

And the more I think about it the less the claim makes

sense. Maybe it would if you were talking about exposure

without food, but not exertion.

I mean fat people have a greater % of their body weight,

as fat, but if you were to ask me between Carl Lewis(sprinter)

and Mandy vandstone, :) who'd win at endurance, I'd have to

still go with Carl Lewis.

I curious now, I'll have to go check my text, but I'm

pretty sure muscles run on glucose.

There are too main pathways, one where glucose is combined

with oxygen, which yields 36 units of ATP.

And the other where it's cleaved for IIRC only 2 units of

ATP and some nasty by-products. (Hence the body only does this when

it has no other choice.)

Therefore it seems that the primary medium term endurance factor

would be aerobic caacity, but I'm not a sports medicine expert,

so I'm interested in hearng all arguments about it.

Cheers.

Women are also really good at walking in high heels.

That must take great concentration.

As for this experiment idea.

If you were to find out the actual scientific process of experimentation...i.e. the actual steps required.

Write them out, apply them and demonstrate to your class how you did that.

(and why your results were so crappy), that would be the best result you could hope for.

husmusen:

Muscles use fat, glucose and protein for energy. The standing scientific reason why women compare well with men relative to other sports in ultramarathons is because their bodies are more efficient at store and using fat stores.

As said, females compete better with males in ultramarathons compared to other sports, but there still seems to be a notable difference in performance and results between the genders.

http://www.badwaterultra.com/results.html

ok i had an idea thought id run it buy you

Id ask a female athlete that has been trained and competed in sports that require physical endurance stamina and strentgh

Try and simulate a practice by putting headphones on here with a coach yelling and making remarks having here answer tuff math problems and doing a physical movement like punching the air or somthing

well, it's a bit mean.

What will be your control experiment?

What is your hypothesis?

What is your method?

Do you know the steps required for an activity to be considered an experiment.?

What is your population sample size???

How on earth are you going to persuade any right minded girl to participate in this activity.

questions questions. :D

posted by aswokie

Muscles use fat, glucose and protein for energy. The standing scientific reason why women compare well with men relative to other sports in ultramarathons is because their bodies are more efficient at store and using fat stores.

As said, females compete better with males in ultramarathons compared to other sports, but there still seems to be a notable difference in performance and results between the genders.

I never sad women wouldn't do *better* in an ultra endurance event.

What I said was I thought the men would still beat them.

(Male lungs can exchange more O2, so combust more sugar yeilding

18X the energy of anaerobic metabolism) Which means they can

run harder and faster for longer before having to employ the

less efficient anearobic system.

And your link supports that.

I realise employing BIG-O notation on metbolism is a little perverse but

that 18X multiplier is the Big-O in this comparisom.

Cheers. :)

Misunderstanding.

I wasn't putting words in your mouth. I was referring to what I said before, when I said that women in ultramarathons do compete better with males than they do in other sports. Let's face it, in other sports like baseball, basketball, and football, male superiority is unquestionable.

With ultramarathons however, it's unquestionable that women compete better with males. Not better than. The fact that fewer females made it on the top list could be due to the fact that there are fewer female ultramarathoners. I don't know that, but it seems likely.

Men have cardiovascular systems with larger capacities like you said. They can produce more energy for longer in a relativistic sense. But after about 3 or so hours on intense physical activity, the blood sugar levels drop and glycogen stores run out. It is at this point when athletes are known to 'bonk' out. Keep in mind that ultramarathons run for over 24 hours.

You're going to have to use more than just glucose. In these ultramarathons, you're going to use all three energy nutrients, fat, glucose and protein (and a LOT of them). You'll probably digest muscle in other areas of the body for energy too. You'll definitely burn a lot of fat. This is supposedly where women have an advantage. They can metabolize fat better and use it for energy more efficiently than men.