Grand Theft Auto

Hideous game - my son acquired a copy and I was mortified. If they ban something in Australia then it must be bad. It's the ethos that gunning down a prostitute is OK because she's a prostitute that bothers me. I "had a little chat" with my son and he does know the difference between fact and fantasy but what about younger kids getting their hands on it? It's a game that makes me very uncomfortable - similar to books/films like "Clockwork Orange" etc.

he has a point, you should check out some of the other titles on the market today, I know them all and I don't even play them;)

Grand Theft Auto is a pretty cool series, 1 was cool, 2 was ..okay...and three was cool too...but it's only fun to drive around sidewalks with a tank for so long and get blown up by the army for so long ya know...

You mean its a game and not a simulation???? No wonder I get pulled over so much.

jk i speed around like a maniac weaving in and out of traffic and drive 70+ on local 45 roads, but i've never been pulled over (or hit another car).

The Grand Theft Auto series are, all things considered, pretty harmless.

What's more damaging is the culture that gangsters and the like are 'cool', in film, music and television; studies have showed that those do change peoples' perspective on life, whilst games don't.

Well, the actual study was 'do games make people more violent'.

The answer's no. And if anyone disagrees I'll KILL THEM.

I'm sure "Clockwork Orange" was a stark warning - it's many years since I read it but you're not trying to tell me that quite a sizeable number of people wouldn't get some sort of vicarious thrill out of the unsavoury bits - warning or not? I have more of a problem possibly with the film (because it's a visual image) rather than the book - if you have little imagination it may be less easy to get excited by a description in a book -but the film had pretty unsavoury scenes which was why it was banned here if I remember correctly. I don't know - maybe I'm naive but is it not better to protect kids a bit? Or am I just an over-fussy mum?

it's true that you should protect them somewhat, but not too much or they won't be ready for the real world, they'll either be shocked beyond belief and live with you for the rest of their lives, or they'll go into the unsavory bit themselves to experience the new sensations they've never known before;)

not saying you should completely desensitize them though...like my mother, I was 4 the first time I saw a lot of horror movies, gave me nightmares till I was 14 (which was cool because they were always fun, I was one of those weird children who like nightmares and were freaky) but look at me now^_^...

protect your children

See lets not get mistaken;there are three or four types of people that can get exited by the movies and wanna do somthing similar in the real world.

1. Stupid people

2. people with imagination

3. Kids mostly teens though

sometimes the worst combination is stupid teens because not only do they feel invincible but they are stupid as well. for example teens that tried thejack ass stunts after they saw the movie. Persnally I get exited from a book also so it would put me in the imagination category cuse stupid people dont read much hehehe

Originally posted by daisy

I'm sure "Clockwork Orange" was a stark warning - it's many years since I read it but you're not trying to tell me that quite a sizeable number of people wouldn't get some sort of vicarious thrill out of the unsavoury bits - warning or not? I have more of a problem possibly with the film (because it's a visual image) rather than the book - if you have little imagination it may be less easy to get excited by a description in a book -but the film had pretty unsavoury scenes which was why it was banned here if I remember correctly. I don't know - maybe I'm naive but is it not better to protect kids a bit? Or am I just an over-fussy mum?

The film was not banned. Stanley Kubrick withdrew it himself because he was not happy with the anticipated response given the political climate at the time. The "banned" thing is just a school yard myth propagated by children with self esteem issues.

I'm sure there are many people who would derive vicarious pleasure from such works, but to prevent their distribution in order to protect or control those too stupid to manage their own impulses would be to do society a greater diservice than we might imagine.

Children should not be watching such films anyway. If a 14 year old watches A Clockwork Orange, then goes off and mimics the violence in the film, it's not the film's fault. It's the fault of the parent for allowing their child access to an 18 or R registred movie, and for not instilling some proper values and a sense of self in them.

Originally posted by fafalone

jk i speed around like a maniac weaving in and out of traffic and drive 70+ on local 45 roads, but i've never been pulled over (or hit another car).

I have a friend who passed his driving test about a year ago. He's just written off his car and three others when he drove around a corner at 75mph, didn't see the line of traffic in front of him that was queueing up and went into the back of them at 30mph, forcing the fire brigade to cut a person out of their car and him to be seriously enough injured that he had to be hospitalized.

For this reason, I simply cannot understand the mentality of people who (like yourself) drive like maniacs. If you were going to do something that risked your own life only, then yes, I could understand it. But if you're gonna go around and perhaps go and kill a few people on the way, you're just being completely reckless. I also don't see how this is something to brag about.

Anyway, on the original topic I've played GTA3 myself and there's enough fantasy in it to say that you couldn't really want to go out and shoot a load of random people unless there is actually something wrong with you. It (quite sensibly) has an age limit of 18+ and I think this does help a lot - although enforcement could be a little harsher imo.

Originally posted by dave

Anyway, on the original topic I've played GTA3 myself and there's enough fantasy in it to say that you couldn't really want to go out and shoot a load of random people unless there is actually something wrong with you. It (quite sensibly) has an age limit of 18+ and I think this does help a lot - although enforcement could be a little harsher imo.

Age limits are a joke. All they do is annoy people, and it makes them want the games even more.

Besides, no study has proven that violent video games cause violent behavoir. Studies have shown there is a link, but correlation DOES NOT prove causality. Do people play violent video games because they are violent, or do the games make them violent? A correlational study cannot answer this question, and we don't yet understand the human mind enough to test another way.

For this reason, I simply cannot understand the mentality of people who (like yourself) drive like maniacs. If you were going to do something that risked your own life only, then yes, I could understand it. But if you're gonna go around and perhaps go and kill a few people on the way, you're just being completely reckless. I also don't see how this is something to brag about.

bleh, you speak truth. Sometimes i'm guilty of this myself, though only usually late at night when theres not a lot of traffic on the roads. I guess it has to do with our age. We feel in control of the situation and aren't exactly always aware of our mortality...

the link below is very disturbing, but it really drives its point home. Its very very sad and has some pretty intense photos, just so you know.

....moral of the story also works for reckless driving....(WARNING)

"wreckless" driving is completely different.

speeding: not particularly dangerous

running through stop lights while speeding: very bad idea.

passing every other car on the road: no problem so long as you have good judgement and fast reaction time

passing people on the shoulder or off-road while driving 90mph: deathwish

and of course driving drunk is just stupid.

it's not the guy going 80 that causes the accidents, it's the blind old lady with a reaction time like .30BAC driving in the left lane at 40 that causes the accident.

oh man....

yeah, I've been known to speed, but you have to realize that out here there is NO traffic, and if there is you can see it coming a mile away, then again..I've never gone more than probably 20 over or so...

I usually go about 25 over (obviously slower in heavy traffic), except on the part of I-75 that goes from Naples to Miami. Little traffic, straight flat road, most of the sides are fenced off indian reservations so cops are always in the median where they can be seen a mile away, picked up by radar detector 2 miles away.. speed limit there is 70, i tear it up at 105-110, I'd go faster but thats my cars top speed. But by the time I go back to college in the fall, I'll have a car that will be going 150. :D

True there is alot f fantasy but teens are still being reinforcedby the game to wanna steal cars, wich is not a fantasy.

I gotta admit after playing hours of GTA I was tempted to take an unguarded Fedex truck with the keys inside for a spin; but then I realized I should stop playing the game for a while hehehe.

Yup, I got that and my friends confimed it. If you see a Landrover freelander, or any other car that is in the game, you are tempted to jump in it. A bit like when you dream of little blocks after playing too much tetris.

Worrying for us less mentally stable sorts.