Dreaming while awake (not lucid dreaming, this is the other way around)

Guest The PC Nerd

Guest The PC Nerd

I sleep very deeply, I cannot be wakened by water sometimes (i was taken to the hospital one time because of that, im 100% healthy)

In the mornings I have noticed when I am being woken up I am still in my dreams.

For instance this morning I was still in my dream in the manner that I was trying to find the second part of "getting out of bed" and I had no idea what the meaning of the phrase was, nor where I could find it and I had the understanding that I already had the first part of "getting out of bed" not knowing what the first part was either. Both parts were somehow part of my last dream and I am not sure where I was looking but I was definately trying to figure it out what and why and how, etc.

How I remember this happening is sometimes I will realize what I was just thinking then say wait wow no thats not right getting out of bed is this, 2 parts, what was I thinking.

It is usually part of whatever I was dreaming about.

Does anyone know anything about this?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest darthnige

Not sure if I am going thru the same thing now. I got in work this morning and was going thru my daily routine of doing websites and I got a deep relapse of a very old memory from the website I was doing, then from there (I think) I have a very cloudy memory of what occured, basically since then I am now dreaming while I am awake, I am not being funny or having a joke but trying to recall what happened an hour ago is very hard as the memory is convuluted im not sure it is from a dream or real. I looked at my sent box from an hour ago and I dont remember fully an email I composed and sent to my friend. But I do remember it as well but I am sure I didnt write what I wrote. As you can tell this is very hard to explain basically I think I am dreaming while I am awake. But I think it has been seeded from a distant old deep memory that has surfaced and brought with it old dreams (not memories).

• 10 months later...

I'm going through exactly the same thing.

When I'm woken up in a morning, my dream doesn't end. I'll be aware that I need to get up.. but don't actually understand how to do that. Usually I end up performing some quest in my dream thinking it will allow me to get up.

I can talk to people in this state, but won't remember any of it.

It's really annoying, I'm constantly being accused of being lazy for it, but I'm not in a state where logic applies :(

It usually takes about 30 mins before I come round to reality after waking up.

(Oh yeah.. I'm currently being tested for narcolepsy.. looks like it will be since the symptoms match.. maybe that could have something to do with it)

Narcolepsy is a chronic neurological disorder caused by the brain's inability to regulate sleep-wake cycles normally. At various times throughout the day, people with narcolepsy experience fleeting urges to sleep. If the urge becomes overwhelming, individuals will fall asleep for periods lasting from a few seconds to several minutes. In rare cases, some people may remain asleep for an hour or longer. In addition to excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS), three other major symptoms frequently characterize narcolepsy: cataplexy, or the sudden loss of voluntary muscle tone; vivid hallucinations during sleep onset or upon awakening; and brief episodes of total paralysis at the beginning or end of sleep. Narcolepsy is not definitively diagnosed in most patients until 10 to 15 years after the first symptoms appear. The cause of narcolepsy remains unknown. It is likely that narcolepsy involves multiple factors interacting to cause neurological dysfunction and sleep disturbances.

I don't think the other two fall in this disease though. Maybe it's just daydreaming. Maybe you're tired and need some rest.:confused:

I had experience too. One time I even needed to wake up three times before I really awaken.

When it occur, I used to try very hard and repeat big breath to wake myself up, it's useful. I found out that even you lose any controll of your muscles, you can't talk, yell, move your head... but except your breathing muscle, maybe it is because that muscle being controlled by intentionally or automaticly by our brain (I forgot how scientical words to express it). So maybe next time you can try it out.

• 1 month later...

wow, so its called Narcolepsy, which owns aspects of sleep paralysis and hallucinations. Finally some people I can relate to.

Anyways, as someone not being a first to be part of the " The Other Side". Recently I was half way there in a great experience with friends in a remote cabin. I don't know if I can mention the substances used in this forum, Salvia was a semi part of that trip, but anyhow, I really got what I wanted out of that weekend for the first time.

So heres my point to look for cheap trips or semi hallucinations, don't be too excited, this may only apply to people who get Sleep Paralysis every now and then:

I usually get that thing called " Sleep Paralysis", it goes back centuries to the "old hag tale", about an invisble presence sitting on your chest being unable to move,it use to freak me out when I was younger, but now being in my mid 20s I am positive its all part of my simple bodily functions. Although recently I heard stories of this sleep disorder reaching a higher degree which is frightening where the bedroom door opens and you actually see a blue demon come inside the room when you can't move, paranomally speaking. Well to get back on the topic, its when your body won't function and your mind is fully engaged, and your stuck in your bed not being able to move. This usually happens before and awaking from sleep.

So what I do to avoid a bad trip is do this during the day. In my 8-12am work schedule, I come home moderately tired. Heres the points.

1.Eat enough to make you sleepy. For some reason I can fall asleep better in the afternoon vs most average nights.

2. So just lie down, assuming your gonna take a nap for about an hour.

3.So just lie there, and once that feeling comes when your about to knock out, take advantage of that. This is the chance if you choose to expereice this instead of being afraid.

4.This is not really a dream, because you can actually pay attention to the room you are in.

5. So being not able to move, just pay attention to your 5 senses. What usually starts off for me is when I am about to drift off, you can feel some kind of presence in the room,and you feel like some weird gravity is pulling you out of your bed, and its pretty kool. I usually hear like a siren, or something trying to pull me.

6.It's all a game of that sense when your going to have that nightmare and you wake yourself up, rather than staying in your dream". Thats what it is, but this time your not dreaming, you just can't move, all you gotta do is just hang out and try to pay attention to whats going on so you can remember it later, which is hard like when it comes to dreams. I thought I share this, seems to be safe and free of consequences. Recently I had this uncoventional trip that can last for like a long 5 minutes.

I have had this dream trip so many times, I am for real. Its kind of like those wierd dreams where you are impressed you can remember that weird flying Alien in your dream with disco lights around, stuff like that. Well anyways, I guess I have Narcolepsy.

• 1 year later...

Old thread, but I thought I'd repost considering I just found it again while googling, and have learned more about it since then.. this infomight be useful to people..

First of all, it isn't narcolepsy. I do have ME, but that doesn't explain this (and other's with ME don't seem to experience it).

I do know one other person who goes through a similar thing, although not as strongly. He gets sleep paralysis while waking up, I get it while going to sleep.

The main link though, is that we both have incredibly vivid dreams, mine are often lucid.

Recently i've been slipping into dream during the process of getting to sleep aswell, i'll be resting in bed, and all of a sudden, i'll think i'm doing something.. in my bed usually, for example.. talking to people on my laptop..

after 30 seconds max i'll realise i'm dreaming and snap out of it.. the reason i wouldn't say i've slipped into sleep at this point, is that at the same time as dreaming, i'm aware of what's going on around me.. the two conciousness' just seem to run separately at the same time :S

Another thing that seems to be unique to me is my creativity going into overdrive before sleep, i'll conjure up new faces and places in my mind instantly with incredible detail..

As for a cause for this, I have no idea. I'm hoping that it's a result of having ME, or at least being worsened by it.. ME does affect sleep in different ways.. will have to see if it changes any as i progress through mickel therapy.

Messily written, hadn't planned it out.. but someinfo there might be helpful ;)

Oh, on the second page of google results I found out what it is.. "Hypnagogia"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

Certainly accounts for the frequency of lucid dreams I have..

And although mine are more dreamlike than what that article suggests, it is a very similar description to what someone above wrote..

I'm surprised this was so hard to find :o

This is interesting in the sense that it shows how realistic unconscious projections can become. The dream can generate its own reality into which the conscious person can enter and take part in. It makes you wonder what percent of the average person is in touch with reality. Just the subjectivities of normal cultural existance would indicate reality can often become nothing more than a collective belief system. As long as everyone is in the same subjective dream we will call that reality.

A good example is fashion. When the new styles appear, these magic articles of cloth give the wearer strength and poise. When you look back at the power clothes of the past, some of it looks quite silly, i.e., polyester leisure suits. Typically one sees that connection only after they awaken from one collective dream and have entered a new one. People show all the signs of being awake while interacting in a collective dream. Maybe the principle of sleep walking apply; it is better not to wake them.

• 1 month later...

A good example is fashion. When the new styles appear, these magic articles of cloth give the wearer strength and poise. When you look back at the power clothes of the past, some of it looks quite silly, i.e., polyester leisure suits. Typically one sees that connection only after they awaken from one collective dream and have entered a new one. People show all the signs of being awake while interacting in a collective dream. Maybe the principle of sleep walking apply; it is better not to wake them.

I think fashion generally is more about human boredom with aesthetics, than with a cultural delusion, or daydream. People have, for quite some time, craved for fashion, design, architectural, etc, change for the sake of change. Obviously we could live quite well and without a problem if we all dressed in blue overalls, or just practically (not fancily) for an environment. Fashions are just, well, nice, but not a true necessity.

I think delusion comes into it when you see someone dressed like an outlaw biker for example. The delusion is – I’m tough, nothing can beat me, I will fight to the death, I’m immortal. When of course, in reality, they are as frail as you and me.

Or, an overweight middle aged woman, dressed like she is a 17 year old love goddess, in skin tight jeans and top, for example.

I once realised I was going into a dream-like state while sitting at my desk, I'd missed a night's sleep immediately before so I was struggling to stay awake but it was strange because my eyes were open at the time. I snapped out of it immediately.

yeah, well once during a cross-country run, it was at like 1pm while the sun was like burning my already burnt skin. The run was like a 6km run with my class, and I kind of blacked out, it was incredibly weird, cause I was still running and I felt kind of faint but I did’nt really go down. But after the run my vision was still kind of blurry – so lucky me I got to miss the maths assessment that was next.

• 5 months later...

Sometimes I wake up and moments before I go to my destination I can dream for 15 - 30 minute periods of time and I'm not actually sleeping... but I'm not awake and I can hear noise from reality yet I still dream and I always come to complete sense before I have to leave to the destination.

I don't really understand the whole concept of the human mind, I've hallucinated once when I was 6 and still don't understand how or why I saw what I did... any explanations on why this may occur?

Be careful about diagnosing yourself as having narcolepsy. Depending on your residence, you may be reported to the authorities and lose your driver's license. If you have a serious concern about it, you should see a sleep doctor. There is a fairly straightforward test to determine if you do have it and there may be therapies available.

• 4 months later...

last night Iwas having a nightmare that took place in my bedroom. A man was charching me to kill me. I woke myself up trying to talk. When I sat up my dream did not go away. I could see it right infront of me. I could also see my daughter sleeping next to me. It took several times of me blinking hard and shaking my head to make it go away. I am not sure if this is acctually what one would refer to as a lucid dream. It may have been caused by the fact that I woke up in the exact same spot I was in my dream. Any ideas?

I have something similar to what some people are talking about on this subject. (An example of mine is:) I will be walking down the street by myself (or someone might be with me), when all of a sudden...i feel like i am in a dream and i am not actually walking, its all just a dream. I can get extremely paranoid when this happens. But it only lasts between 2 and 10 seconds. Then i will be right back in reality. Its been happening almost everyday for the past 3 months. For those out there who use or have tried marijuana, and have had a bad trip (where you don't know if you are dreaming or awake and you can paranoid), that is EXACTLY the feeling i get. And its only been happening since the last bad marijuana trip i've had. I'm trying to understand what it could be. I think it might be my mind having a placebo effect that i am under the influence of marijuana when i really am not. That is the only real explanation i can get out of it. I've talked to my friends about it, and they said they have never experienced this. If anyone knows ANYTHING about what could be wrong with me, or you have an idea, please reply back to this. I really need someones help. Thank you.

it`s called a Hypnopompic state, it`s quite common and nothing to worry about.

in fact it`s That common, that in the army, you cannot be held responsible for any actions taken within 1 minute of waking up!

why do you think the Drill Sgt uses a long stick to wake you with?

I forgot to add that this dream like state occurs sometimes in the middle of the day. I will have been awake for 8 or 9 hours and it will still happen. YT2095 said that it is called a Hypnopompic state. I researched it and i got the same answer each time, "Hypnopompic is the state of consciousness leading out of sleep". But could it be possible that my brain is still coming out of sleep 8 or 9 hours after waking up? It just sounds very unusual.

• 2 months later...

I had a similar experience a while back. I was having a very vivid dream where i was standing on the front steps of building facing a friend of mine who I havent seen in ages. There was no conversation, we were just simply facing eachother. The dream was so real-feeling-- I felt like I was really, actually there and for some reason the vividness of the dream startled me. I abruptly woke up and looked around the room, and was definitely awake because I could actively see everythign around me, move around and feel my covers. Strangely enough, although I was awake, the dream continued to play in front of me even though my eyes were wide open. Its as if I was dreaming and awake at the same time...I kept trying to snap out of it but it continued to play out for a while...The next day, I emailed a sleep research center because I had never experienced anything like that before. They told me that this happens when you are either on heavy medication extremely tired/stressed but I wasn't any of the above...it's still a mystery to me...

• 2 months later...

what happens to me is very different. and if anyone has an answer do post it. This started happening to me maybe two years ago. The first time it happened I was asleep. But I woke up I wasn't even dreamig. I was laying on my stomach with my face to the side when I woke up and felt something heavy over my body. I tried to scream I could see my wall and my bed but I couldn't scream at all, I paniced. And than I tried moving my tongue and i was able to. Finally I became exhausted from trying to get up so i just felt asleep. other times it was for a minute and than I'm able to shake it off. seveen months ago around 2 in the afternoon I went to my bed I was planning to take a nap, but i wasn't sleepy. I was sitting on my bed when all of a sudden my ears popped, like when you go deep under waterr. and than my heart started racing as i was sitting there. so I laid down and all of a sudden I couldn't move but i was able to shake off in time. so I sat up again and again my ears poped and my heart started beating really fast, I laid down and again i couldn't move, when I tried to get up i could feel my head shaking and finally i broke loose. and again I sat on my bed, and again my ears popped and my heart started beating fast I laid down and this time it took me longer to get up. my eyes were open I knew exactly what was happening. and as soon as I was able to move I ran to my mothers room and told her.

i

what happens to me is very different. and if anyone has an answer do post it.

That really does sound like sleep paralysis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

As for the ears popping and heart racing, that could have been from fear, as apparently the experience can cause very strong emotional responses.

When I get that, it can be really hard and take a lot of focus to move, and if I settle at all again, it can come back very fast and be hard to shake off again. I usually roll onto my side as soon as I can, and it lessens the "crushing" sensation. It usually happens to me as I fall asleep, or wake up in the night, my mornings are so messed up sleep/dream wise I can't recall if it happens then at all.

• 3 months later...

Hi. I once woke up from a nightmare and then I saw something in the corner of my room. At first I thought someone was there, but then I realized I was seeing my dream continuing. It looked 3D like a hologram. My dream took place at night so I couldn't see any color except a greenish tint from the moon.

I looked around my room, and the dream didn't follow. I looked back where I saw it, and it was still there. I watched it for a while, closed my eyes, and when i opened them it was gone this time. What a relief. I got up, got something to drink and sat on my couch thinking how this could really happen.

I really was fully awake; I know the difference. Anyone ever experience this or know what cause it? Comments welcome.

i do this fairly often, and it is very hard to tell between dream and reality, because i also very often have dreams where im caunciusly making disicions, like im not asleep, but i am (sorry if im being confusing). its pretty intresting stuff though.