Do you prefer Windows PC or Mac?

james_pain

Which one and why?

I've had my current laptop since late 2011 and thinking of getting a new one soon but not sure which one is best.

Anyone here have any opinions?

My current laptop is a Windows PC. What kind of things can you do with a Mac which you can't do with a Windows PC?

What sorts of things did you take into account before purchasing your first computer/laptop?

Also, are ipads any good?

What's so good about ipads?

I dislike windows. I find it frustrating, limited out of the box, and unstable. My laptop recently passed away and I'm either going to get a Macbook or a dell developer laptop with Linux. Drivers for USB to serial devices are more annoying in windows and to a certain extent macos. Which is important for programming arduinos and similar.

Really it depends on your usec ase. Mine is arduino development and photo editing so good screen, bit of grunt and access to darktable.

Which one and why?

Availability of software on Windows is much better.

There is also more programmers writing software,

and it's more often learned in schools.

So if you will need custom written tool, you can ask and pay any programmer/IT student.

With Mac it won't be so simple.

Here, in my neighborhood, I am the only one Macintosh user I know (I must admit, very rare user, only if I have to compile my applications for MacOS X, because they're developed on Windows).

Perhaps in USA it could be different though.

I've had my current laptop since late 2011 and thinking of getting a new one soon but not sure which one is best.

What are specs of your current laptop?

And what specs you are interested in?

If you have dual-core, obviously there will be sense getting quad-core,

but if you already have quad-core laptop, getting anything slower than quad-core will be insane.

If you like movability, 13" LED or 10" display will be better, than 17"+ display, as they are 2-3 times more heavier..

But 17"+ is better for you eyes if you have to work long time staring on the screen.

If it's HDD space problem, replace it by new one with greater size, or SDD (they have smaller capacity though and more expensive, but you won't bother about walking with it turned on).

If it's HDD space, also you can get external USB HDD.

If it's poor quality monitor,

you will have to see display of new laptop prior buying to check whether quality is better.

My current laptop is a Windows PC. What kind of things can you do with a Mac which you can't do with a Windows PC?

That depends on what hardware they have built-in by manufacturer.

You can't touch non-touchable screen obviously..

If it's touchable, the next question is about precision.

One touch screen can detect pressure of touch, while other doesn't.

What sorts of things did you take into account before purchasing your first computer/laptop?

LOL.

At that time, people "pray" for any computer to have..

Also, are ipads any good?

What's so good about ipads?

IMHO tablet is good as clock, and for checking whether your software is good working on them.

Edited by Sensei