Analogies for the quantum/classical relationship

geordief

I am reading this interesting article about propaganda in WW2 and the thought (not for the first time )occurred to me that the relationship between the individual and society as a whole is an interesting one.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20161021-the-psychological-tricks-used-to-help-win-world-war-two

The analogy of the quantum/classical relationship springs to mind (in all likelihood to be easily debunked)but I wonder are there similar circumstances where there is a micro/macro relationship along these lines?

I think .probably I should be including my "individual vs society" example as any one of the fascinating swarm mechanisms that have been the subject of a few TV documentaries over the past few years.

The swarm behaviours are ,so I have heard quite easily explainable in everyday physical terms and are not ,therefore mysterious.

As an analogy for the quantum/macro relationship we are perhaps still trying to establish (is the macro just a statistical extension of the micro?) might they serve any purpose(if only to differentiate ,perhaps) ?

Have you heard of something called Quantum Biology? Here are a few links to some interesting reading material:

A scientific review of the subject

Wiki article

BBC article

I saw an insert on Through The Wormhole (TV series) that dealt with something similar to this. The episode was called "Is There a Sixth Sense?" and dealt with that, telepathy, global consciousness and if I remember correctly it also touched on animal group behaviour (bee's, birds, fish, etc).

Have you heard of something called Quantum Biology? Here are a few links to some interesting reading material:

A scientific review of the subject

Wiki article

BBC article

I saw an insert on Through The Wormhole (TV series) that dealt with something similar to this. The episode was called "Is There a Sixth Sense?" and dealt with that, telepathy, global consciousness and if I remember correctly it also touched on animal group behaviour (bee's, birds, fish, etc).

Indeed,although there are caveats that this is a speculative area.

However ,from what I have read on this or other forums like it ,the underlined part of the following sentence is just wrong and shows up in the BBC article

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-21150047

"What makes more sense is the quantum effect of entanglement. Under quantum rules, no matter how far apart an "entangled" pair of particles gets, each seems to "know" what the other is up to - they can even seem to pass information to one another faster than the speed of light.."

Am I right ; is that kind of a sentence a no-no?

Edited by geordief