Elon Musk - Mars Colonization

Raider5678

Elon musk recently revealed his plan to colonize mars. Personally I really want his plan to be possible and to be completely started by the time I get to my mid thirties. What are your thoughts on his plan? Do you think it could work, do you think it will be soon, and do you think anyone would want to go?

I watched his lecture too. He also has a big show premiering on National Geographic Channel about it. http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/mars/

Personally, I'm extremely dubious about it, but that doesn't decrease my hopes that it works. I generally want to see Elon succeed because I really like him. I'd fill him in on the ballot for president if Trump didn't scare the shit out of me so much.

I honestly think we are at least 100 years from having a population of informed, intelligent people who are ready for this kind of thing. We may be even furtther away from it than that. Judging by the people in my neck of the woods, humanity's greatest heights are far from being achieved.

I'd fill him in on the ballot for president if Trump didn't scare the shit out of me so much.

Per Article II, Section 1, Clause 5 of the US constitution, only natural born US citizens are eligible for the presidency.

Perhaps a second space race is about to start.​

Or perhaps the space race never really ended. I do wonder wether a lot of these people Elon Musk etc are saying this for the publicity. Sure Elon Musk has a lot of money but I am not sure if that would really be enough to facilitate a trip to Mars. Even if Musk did have enough money to make it to Mars he is a businessman how would he stand to profit?? Mars one estimated the cost of a one-way trip to Mars at roughly 6 billion dollars if not more http://www.mars-one.com/faq/finance-and-feasibility/what-is-mars-ones-mission-budget that certainly isn't a small amount of money to anybody.

Edited by fiveworlds

Or perhaps the space race never really ended. I do wonder wether a lot of these people Elon Musk etc are saying this for the publicity. Sure Elon Musk has a lot of money but I am not sure if that would really be enough to facilitate a trip to Mars. Even if Musk did have enough money to make it to Mars he is a businessman how would he stand to profit?? Mars one estimated the cost of a one-way trip to Mars at roughly 6 billion dollars if not more http://www.mars-one.com/faq/finance-and-feasibility/what-is-mars-ones-mission-budget that certainly isn't a small amount of money to anybody.

Musk says he will reduce the trip price to under $250,000.

Musk says he will reduce the trip price to under $250,000.​

It won't cost him that though. Musk mentioned that he would be able to reduce the ticket price through the use of reusable spacecrafts. Each spacecraft isn't going to be cheap though plus he has a resposibility to his investors to make money. When he talks about 250000 that's basically the cost of repairs and fuel the initial cost to build the factories etc is going to be far far higher. Even if he paid his spaceX employees minimum wage he has still spent a couple of billion on it so far.

Edited by fiveworlds

Musk is a pretty good business man. He seems to think he can make money at $250M+ per trip, or at least find investors who will bankroll setting up a colony on Mars. On the other hand, AI and robotics are driving manufacturing costs down, and at some point in the not too distant future, economics will fundamentally change.

Per Article II, Section 1, Clause 5 of the US constitution, only natural born US citizens are eligible for the presidency.

I know. It sucks.he loves America so much. And he's actually a smart person who understands the troubles we face morally and scientifically as a species. .

He estimates that after 10 billion spent, he will have ships, boosters, and will be ready to go to mars. Also, if you watch his conference he makes it clear hes not in it for money, in fact, he straight out said he was scared investors might give up science in space to make money.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.