#1 Sriman Dutta

Sriman Dutta

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationKolkata, India

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:55 PM

Hi,

I want to know why is the Riemann hypothesis still unsolved? I really want to know the reasons due to which it is still unsolved.

:-)

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence is then not an act but a habit.
-Aristotle

#2 mathematic

mathematic

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 720 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:46 PM

It is a difficult problem.  What are you thinking by asking "why"?

#3 wtf

wtf

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:13 AM

It is a difficult problem.  What are you thinking by asking "why"?

How do we know it's difficult? Because so many people have been unable to solve it!

OP has a good question. What is it, exactly, that makes RH a difficult problem? Why have FLT and the Poincaré conjecture been solved, but not RH?

That's way above my pay grade. But at heart it's a very good question IMO.

Edited by wtf, 19 October 2016 - 12:13 AM.

#4 StringJunky

StringJunky

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 5,502 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:57 AM

Nobody can find a technique that can predict what the next prime will be, to infinity without going through the list and working it out.  They are trying to find a bespoke formula that can predict them; a shortcut. The pattern of occurrence of primes appears to be random but I think they think otherwise and, I think, that's one of the reasons why it is so difficult. This article by Marcus Du Sautoy gives an easy, potted read to the problem and it's history..

https://plus.maths.o...-number-lottery

Edited by StringJunky, 19 October 2016 - 01:59 AM.

Education, like life, is a journey not a destination

#5 Sriman Dutta

Sriman Dutta

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationKolkata, India

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:09 PM

So now I get that.

Thanks for all your help.

:-)

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence is then not an act but a habit.
-Aristotle

#6 renerpho

renerpho

Quark

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:06 PM

Nobody can find a technique that can predict what the next prime will be, to infinity without going through the list and working it out.  They are trying to find a bespoke formula that can predict them; a shortcut. The pattern of occurrence of primes appears to be random but I think they think otherwise and, I think, that's one of the reasons why it is so difficult. This article by Marcus Du Sautoy gives an easy, potted read to the problem and it's history..

https://plus.maths.o...-number-lottery

Actually we think that the primes behave essentially like a pseudo-random number sequence (with a few known differences that are already well-understood). The Riemann hypothesis would confirm some that (at least in parts). It would allow to make a lot of predictions about the behaviour of primes (because many methods used to study random number sequences could be used to tackle prime numbers).

It's a common misconception that the Riemann hypothesis would result in hidden patterns in the prime numbers. The opposite is true: The reason why there are so many unproven conjectures about primes is that we don't know if there are any fancy, hidden patterns.

Edited by renerpho, 20 November 2016 - 11:07 PM.

#7 StringJunky

StringJunky

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 5,502 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:34 PM

Actually we think that the primes behave essentially like a pseudo-random number sequence (with a few known differences that are already well-understood). The Riemann hypothesis would confirm some that (at least in parts). It would allow to make a lot of predictions about the behaviour of primes (because many methods used to study random number sequences could be used to tackle prime numbers).
It's a common misconception that the Riemann hypothesis would result in hidden patterns in the prime numbers. The opposite is true: The reason why there are so many unproven conjectures about primes is that we don't know if there are any fancy, hidden patterns.

Right. Thanks for the clarification.

Education, like life, is a journey not a destination

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users