8 replies to this topic

#1 Joatmon

Joatmon

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationNear Leicester, UK

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:03 PM

I have reason to think that if A, B and N in the following equation are positive whole numbers then there is no solution. I would like either values of A, B and N which satisfy the equation or a reason why there is no solution. If you think it looks easy then give it a go - please.

Attached Thumbnails

• Formula.JPG

Edited by Joatmon, 14 October 2016 - 07:08 PM.

Trying to make some sense of it all,

But I can see that it makes no sense at all

#2 imatfaal

imatfaal

lazy do-nothing mudslinger

• Moderators
  • 7,584 posts
  • LocationSt James's Park

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:20 PM

I am pretty sure not.  But cannot yet prove it.

If you rearrange for a  I think you get

a =\frac{ (\sqrt3 \sqrt{b (3 b^3+4 n^3)}-3 b^2+6 b n)}{(6 b)}

If b and n are +ve integers then it is obvious that every term except

\sqrt3 \sqrt{b (3 b^3+4 n^3)}

is an integer.  So for a to be an integer then that term must also be an integer (ie if it is less than 1 then no matter how much you add to it - or whatever integer you divide it by it will always be less than 1. or if it is greater than 1 then it cannot be irrational for similar reasons).  I feel I should be able to show that cannot be the case - but I cannot

A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again.

- Alexander Pope

feel free to click the green arrow  ---->

#3 Joatmon

Joatmon

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:50 AM

I'm not surprised - if I have worked things out correctly then a whole number solution would lead to a whole number example of A cubed plus B cubed = C cubed. If it can be proved that there is no whole number solution then it can be concluded that there is no whole number solution to A cubed plus B cubed = C cubed.

#4 imatfaal

imatfaal

• Moderators
  • 7,584 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:59 PM

Well then there is your proof

A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again.

- Alexander Pope

#5 Joatmon

Joatmon

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:19 AM

Well then there is your proof

I think that sometimes a journey and its byways can be as interesting as a destination never reached. Also, I feel certain that there are a number of people in the world, such as me, who although knowing  they are almost certainly deluded, think that there is just a possibility that there is still to be found a much more simple way of proving Fermat's Last Theorem than that produced by Andrew Wiles'. :D

#6 renerpho

renerpho

Quark

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:32 PM

I think that sometimes a journey and its byways can be as interesting as a destination never reached. Also, I feel certain that there are a number of people in the world, such as me, who although knowing  they are almost certainly deluded, think that there is just a possibility that there is still to be found a much more simple way of proving Fermat's Last Theorem than that produced by Andrew Wiles'. :D

Perhaps - but notice that, even if your formula is related to Fermat's Last Theorem for the case n=3, it can not attack the general case. And there already are easy and elementary proofs for the case n=3.

Edited by renerpho, 16 October 2016 - 06:32 PM.

#7 Joatmon

Joatmon

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:13 PM

That is true and also for other specific values of n. However, perhaps the source of the formula I gave might lead to a generalisation for all values of n. I admit that is unlikely but it is an interesting conundrum. 

#8 imatfaal

imatfaal

• Moderators
  • 7,584 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:42 AM

That is true and also for other specific values of n. However, perhaps the source of the formula I gave might lead to a generalisation for all values of n. I admit that is unlikely but it is an interesting conundrum. 

Absence of evidence is not absolute evidence of absence; but when the greatest mathematicians search fruitlessly for a simple solution for centuries I think that - on the balance of probabilities - one can assume that a simple solution does not exist.

- Alexander Pope

#9 Joatmon

Joatmon

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:10 PM

Absence of evidence is not absolute evidence of absence; but when the greatest mathematicians search fruitlessly for a simple solution for centuries I think that - on the balance of probabilities - one can assume that a simple solution does not exist.

Can't argue with that :)

I guess that if I got a chance to play chess against a grand master I would jump at the chance and come back for more after losing. I suppose its a question of what one finds interesting or fun :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users