Simulation theory

It is plausible and the paper in which it was proposed was reasonably well argued. I understand there was a refutation of the argument published a couple of years later, but I have not read that.

It is plausible and the paper in which it was proposed was reasonably well argued. I understand there was a refutation of the argument published a couple of years later, but I have not read that.

Is the theory refuted?

I am not sure in what way I was unclear.

A refutation has been published. In science hypotheses will be proposed, countered, re-proposed with modifications, attacked again, and so on, until either the hypothesis moves onto very solid ground or is shown to be false.

Since, I have not read the refutation - I noted only that I understood it existed - then I cannot comment on how sound the refutation is. I recommend you seek, perhaps through Google Scholar, to locate the refutation. If you find it, please let us know.

[rambling]

If the simulation is good enough we'll never know.

Proponents of 'Intelligent Design' appear to believe we're living in a simulation but haven't come up with anything yet.

On the other hand the Intelligent Designer may have corrected errors discovered by these people and restarted the simulation.

Whatever your beliefs, these people should be discouraged.

[\rambling]

• 1 year later...

there is a very interesting take on this issue here. probably the best approach so far : but it's against the rules for me to make you go offsite to see what I'm talking about -- too bad I didn't just post it here!

Edited by Phi for All
discussions need to stay here