Digital Microscope for iphone

dharris59

Hi,

Not sure which is the best forum to ask here so I have placed in Science News.

I am looking for some sort of digital microscope for my son that is easy transport and provides reasonable quality images and accuracy.

He has an iphone and I found a website that sells a range of microscope parts and microscope kits and discovered thay sell an iphone adapter that clips on somehow and turns your iphone into a microscope. Is this a toy or does it actually work well as a microscope? the website is call proscope

The digital microscope iphone adapter I am looking to buy is http://proscopedigital.com/product/digital-microscope-kit-iphone-6-plus/

I would appreciate any feedback or other recommendations.

Thanks

David

We have a USB proscope for our lab and it's OK. Up to 200x magnification with the swappable lenses (I remember seeing one used on the CSI TV show). I know they make a bluetooth or wifi version that can be used with mobile devices. I imagine the clip-on version is not quite as powerful, but will work. It's a legit company — these aren't toys. There are a number of companies that make clip-on lenses to enhance the phone's camera, and those include macro lenses, which really aren't microscopes.

I think the main drawback here is that it physically clips onto the phone, so if you get a new phone with different dimensions, you're out of luck.

Digital Zoom Magnification Range of 20x to 80x

This line from the specs bugs me a little. Digital zoom normally means a just enlarging a small section of the ccd image - what you want is optical zoom ie lenses. I wonder if it is a mislabelling. I presume it means a x20 magnification lens suitable for close focus and the rest is just using the native iphone zooming. But a x20 mag lens with a iphone camera backing it up sounds very nice all the same.

Per others I would check other places on web. Also learning to use an old fashioned microscope is quite fun and you can probably pick up for a couple of quid nowdays - or even make a simple one

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.