Redhead? DNA/Genetics

Em1l

I am a redhead/ginger. Now don't get me wrong, i love it but i would love to know what made my hair orange/red.

I find the topic quite interesting but i do not have much experience on the subject.

My own theory is that its a genetic mistake, which can either be created when the parents' DNA combines because of two certain genes, which by result creates the MC1R gene and that the MC1R gene could be inherited, but hiding for multiple generations. Or what is the reason? Feel free to give inputs!

People often ask me why none of my parents has the same hair color, and until now this is the explanation that i gave them.

I just wish to be informed, and be able to inform others about it. :)

First, everyone has the MC1R gene. We only have different variants (or alleles). Second, the red-hair variant alleles (there are several genes involved) are recessive, so if the parents have an allele for a different hair colour they are likely to have a dominant hair color. You just happened to have inherited the recessive variants from each parent.