Biotech and Microbio fields

Grimm

Hi everyone.

I'm currently pursuing a career in these areas since I find it fascinating and there seems to be a good degree of overlap between them. I'm almost positive I will like the work because I've been doing lab work as part of my education.

What I'm curious to know is if any of you have any insights or suggestions you would like to give your younger self? Maybe a source of cheap trade magazines or online resources. Do any of you currently work in these fields? How do you feel about what you do?

Thanks

A) Figure out what kind of job you want to have and whether it actually consists of the things you like to do. The higher you go, the less lab work you will do, for example.

B) Figure out the job opportunities and see if it aligns with your life goals.

C) Once you know what you want, network for it.

D) Network.

E) Network more.

My program already has potential jobs lined up for me. There is a biotech business park (called the Incubator) partnered with my school and they recruit mainly from it. One place I'm interested in produces gene therapies for those missing a gene necessary for proper vision. I already know I like the field and the work I've done so far. The first job I get from my program will serve as a testing ground. I'm hoping that it will lead to me finding new areas of study I might also like. I'll keep going higher if I see that I like those positions.

All predicated on actually getting into these places though. Which is why I started this thread, to talk to people already there. Anyone mind sharing their stories with me?

Either way, my first job in my career preference will be loads better than where I currently work: Wal-Mart.