Knowledge or Experience?

ModernArtist25

Knowledge is unlimited. Personal experience is not.

One could technically learn a vast amount of knowledge, and have only the personal experience of learning knowledge.

If you were only using personal experience to learn knowledge, then you'd be limited to only the knowledge available from those experiences. You could only learn what you had a need to learn. You wouldn't have any pre-existing knowledge about something you'd never experienced before. Experience alone would force you to always be re-active instead of pro-active.

I'd say the best approach is the way we do it now. We fill young minds with knowledge, so they can be somewhat pro-active when they go out into the world to gain experience. If I can only choose one, I'd have to go with experience. That way, I get to experience my life instead of just learning about other's lives.

Knowledge is unlimited. Personal experience is not.

One could technically learn a vast amount of knowledge, and have only the personal experience of learning knowledge.

If you were only using personal experience to learn knowledge, then you'd be limited to only the knowledge available from those experiences. You could only learn what you had a need to learn. You wouldn't have any pre-existing knowledge about something you'd never experienced before. Experience alone would force you to always be re-active instead of pro-active.

I'd say the best approach is the way we do it now. We fill young minds with knowledge, so they can be somewhat pro-active when they go out into the world to gain experience. If I can only choose one, I'd have to go with experience. That way, I get to experience my life instead of just learning about other's lives.

You are much less likely to forget an experience as opposed to some bit of knowledge acquired by reading or listening. On the downside, learning from experience can be painful whereas passively acquired knowledge is not, usually.

Edited by StringJunky

You are much less likely to forget an experience as opposed to some bit of knowledge acquired by reading or listening. On the downside, learning from experience can be painful whereas passively acquired knowledge is not, usually.

Hmmm...I actually thought that knowledge that came from your own personal experience is more memorable

If you have to choose, which one do you think is more important and why?

With experience you can gain knowledge..... and with only knowledge you gain and learn from other people's experience. -_-

I think the question should be "Knowledge or Understanding" otherwise, as explained above, it's meaningless.

And make the choices, all available knowledge verses One thing, of your choice, completely understood.

Which would you choose?

I think a false dichotomy is at play in the thread's theme. All knowledge is experiential whether that experience is reading, hearing, touching, smelling, feeling, or thinking. I is a strange loop.

Exactly so.

It is a cliche that a clever person learns from experience. However, the truly clever person learns from the experience of others. That other experience is generally called knowledge. Yet, if we do not understand the meaning of that knowledge, if we are unwilling to accept it as true, then it is of limited value.

I think there might just be a relationship between those two features of experiential knowledge.

Theoretical knowledge and experimental knowledge. Both of them are equally dependent, relevant and important. You can't distinguish between these two, they go together.

I believe that knowledge should be given the edge as a fundamental ingredient that accelerates experience. Experience constitutes knowledge, in other word's experience give meaning to knowledge or vice versa.

If you ask me "Experience makes more impact than Knowledge". This deduction has been from my own experience.

2+2=4 is knowledge.

Experience : Watching work done by 2 persons taking time. When two more men join work gets done faster.

Edited by paragaster

As you've pointed out, there's a direct relationship between the two. You cannot gain one without the other, and so choosing between them is pointless.

But if I'm at gun point and HAD to choose one, I'll go with experience...because I gain knowledge from it. *wink wink*

I think there is a difference depending on the kind of knowledge/experience.

When you learn how to swim, you gain experimental knowledge or a practical understanding.

You can spend an entire life with the theoretical knowledge of how to swim without gaining experimental knowledge of swimming. In this case you can chose if theoretical knowledge leads to experimental knowledge..

Edited by Itoero