WD-40 and Arthritis

ag4gt

I was reading the post on cracking knuckles and if it causes arthritis or not. I got to thinking about arthritis and remembered that I once knew a fellow that used WD-40 on his arthritic joints. I have also read about doing this also. I got to wondering if anyone has ever tried this and what the results were.

I have never heard of that, but have heard that some people use cod liver oil capsules daily as a relief to some of the symptoms. I believe any oily fish is also good for your joints. I have used cod liver oil capsules on a german sheppard dog that I had who was suffering with her back legs, and they did seem to aleviate alot of her discomfort, in as far as she was willing to move about more often and seemed more lively... also kept her coat lovely and glossy.

I know several people who swear by this:

Arthritis Pain Relief

1 teaspoon LIQUID Certo*

3 ounces unsweetened grape juice

* This is the product used to prepare jams and jellies.

Mix Certo and grape juice and drink the concoction two or three times a day.

• 9 months later...
I was reading the post on cracking knuckles and if it causes arthritis or not. I got to thinking about arthritis and remembered that I once knew a fellow that used WD-40 on his arthritic joints. I have also read about doing this also. I got to wondering if anyone has ever tried this and what the results were.

WD-40 contains petroleum distillates which may be carcinogenic if absorbed through the skin. Check the WD-40 website http://www.wd40.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=14 where the manufacturer advises against applying WD-40 to the skin. According to the WD-40 MSDS, it is advised to wash with soap and water if you have contact with your skin.

• 2 months later...
I was reading the post on cracking knuckles and if it causes arthritis or not. I got to thinking about arthritis and remembered that I once knew a fellow that used WD-40 on his arthritic joints.

It would work if he were a robot.

My rheumatologist once told me that there were only two effective treatments for arthritis (as opposed to arthritic pain). Neither are FDA approved, perhaps because the drug companies don't make any money from them.

1. Chondroitin-glucosamine or just glucosamine. Take it every day. You won't see results for 2 or 3 months.

2. Move to Arizona.

I did both. They worked. I walk 25 miles a week and can type -- well, like I'm typing now.

Dangerous Bill

WWW.wd40.com

you`ll need to sign up to the `Fanclub` link but it`s free and you`ll see 2000+ uses for the stuff' date=' honestly, it`s a real Hoot! :)[/quote']

bah!

they cheat. half thier examples are things like "lubricates swingsets" and then "lubricates screws". or "prevents rust on screws" and then, what do you know, "prevents rust on wheelbarrel."

i think we all get the idea that wd40 lubricates stuff and cleans and prevents rust.

they do have some stuff though... i didnt know itll take the water spots off your mirror or remove crayon marks.

• 1 year later...

It amazed me to find out that by administering WD-40 spray directly onto my thumb joints, (badly arthritic, stiff and painful) and rubbing it in, after 10 minutes the pain is eradicated and I experience markedly greater flexibility and strength in its opposable function. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it is so remarkable that it certainly is no placebo effect. As far as there being side-effects, doctors prescribe creams, and oral medications for arthritis that have much more frighteneing side-effects associated with them including cancer. I'd rather risk a little petrochemical than the other stuff thanks.

It amazed me to find out that by administering WD-40 spray directly onto my thumb joints, (badly arthritic, stiff and painful) and rubbing it in, after 10 minutes the pain is eradicated and I experience markedly greater flexibility and strength in its opposable function. I know it sounds ridiculous.

Why, yes... yes sir, it does. But hey, if it's working for ya, right?

I prefer scotch when my thumb hurts. ;)

• 1 month later...
It would work if he were a robot.

1. Chondroitin-glucosamine or just glucosamine. Take it every day. You won't see results for 2 or 3 months.

2. Move to Arizona.

I did both. They worked. I walk 25 miles a week and can type -- well, like I'm typing now.

Dangerous Bill

Many types of arthritis (Eesp.in joints) are caused by a build up of uric acid crystals in the joints.

Getting it out is a problem

Glucosamine many find this helpful

Arizona (heat) and warm baths (for an hour or so a day) would help.(put some rosemary juniper in the bath)

Daily massage with helps. Keep using and exercising the joint

If you rub rosemary oil into the joint it promotes blood supply to the joint, so too winetergreen. The theory is the blood picks up some of the Uric acid and takes it to the kidneys and is excreted.

For the pain use Chilli. Either eaten, rubbed on or as Zostrix ointment. Do this a few times a day it takes a few days to kick in. Marijuana can also be helpful for the pain. probably best cooked into cookies (biscuits)

Anti inflamatories can also help; but don't let the doc talk you into long term cortisone use. Use it only for emergency/severe problems.

Herbalists recommend "kidney tonics" like juniper berry. You can put the oil on your skin or drink gin. Don't use it if you have kidney disease.

Discuss other kidney tonics with a registered hebalist.

I do not doubt that WD40 can help alleviate some symptoms associated with arthritis because many petroleum distilates are readily absorbed through the skin (which may not be such a good thing).

Perhaps the mechanism of action is similar to DMSO....which is also somewhat of a mystery and not well accepted by the mainstream medical community. It is more likely, however, that just putting petroleum distilates on the site of discomfort alleviates the pain by some nonspecific mechanism. In fact, one initial measure of the strength of anesthetics is by their water/hexane partition coeffectient (aka log p), which is a measure of lipophilicitiy. The better a drug partitions into hexane, generally the stronger the nonspecific anesthetic. The same is true for many other drugs. The idea is that drugs that go into hexane will also be able to partition into the lipophilic cell membrane.

The main problem with WD40 as a treatment for arthritis may be that the cure could very well be much worse than the original symptoms.

Many types of arthritis (Eesp.in joints) are caused by a build up of uric acid crystals in the joints.

Getting it out is a problem

Glucosamine many find this helpful

Arizona (heat) and warm baths (for an hour or so a day) would help.(put some rosemary juniper in the bath)

Daily massage with helps. Keep using and exercising the joint

If you rub rosemary oil into the joint it promotes blood supply to the joint, so too winetergreen. The theory is the blood picks up some of the Uric acid and takes it to the kidneys and is excreted.

For the pain use Chilli. Either eaten, rubbed on or as Zostrix ointment. Do this a few times a day it takes a few days to kick in. Marijuana can also be helpful for the pain. probably best cooked into cookies (biscuits)

Anti inflamatories can also help; but don't let the doc talk you into long term cortisone use. Use it only for emergency/severe problems.

Herbalists recommend "kidney tonics" like juniper berry. You can put the oil on your skin or drink gin. Don't use it if you have kidney disease.

A registered herbalist... :rolleyes:...

Firstly, you have no evidence that this is gout... absolutely none... it isn't the most cause of arthritis... but if it was gout - why the hell would you recomend drinking gin!...

you seriously have no idea what you are talking about... and you are severely deluded for recommending marijuana over anti-inflammatories...

It amazed me to find out that by administering WD-40 spray directly onto my thumb joints, (badly arthritic, stiff and painful) and rubbing it in, after 10 minutes the pain is eradicated and I experience markedly greater flexibility and strength in its opposable function. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it is so remarkable that it certainly is no placebo effect.
Not placebo, but are sure it was the WD40 and not the rubbing it in that helped?

WD-40

When I saw WD-40, I thought you were going to say that everytime you use it you get arthritic pains. And I was going to tell you that it's probably a chemical sensitivity to the petrochemical it's made out of. :doh:

Forget the marijuana! :eek:

Hot chili, gin and cookies with pot in 'em?

If this gets out, everybody will have arthritis.

as a Chronic arthritis sufferer myself I pray NON of you get this ever, it`s Far from a joke or giggle when it hits you!

it Will Cripple you, and has no respect for age either!

Very sorry to hear YT.

Which over the counter or "down home" remedies do put the most stock in ?

BTW when I moved west (fro the midwest) about 10 yrs ago, I quickly developed pretty bad rheumatoid arthritis in my fingers (at least that was what the Dr called it) my fingers were swollen badly and in a lot of pain for about 2 years. Probably nothing on the scale of what you are going through though. The Dr perscribed the regular Cox inhibitors which didn't do much at all and pain meds and then bam....it just kind went away. I assumed that it was something in my new environment that my body didn't like initially but eventually just got used to.

So my question to you is, how much of a factor do you believe that allergans or other things in the environment play in arthritis (yours or others)?

my question to you is, how much of a factor do you believe that allergans or other things in the environment play in arthritis (yours or others)?

It really depends on what type of arthritis you are talking about...

gout is caused by uric acid crystals in the joints... septic arthritis is bacterial infection of a joint... osteomyelitis infection of bone... these few are mainly environomental factors (e.g. gout - binge drinking, infection - bacteria)

osteoarthritis is due to old age/trauma and rheumatoid arthritis is mainly genetic (i think)... so neither are really environmentally caused...

btw, i'm not sure about allergens causing arthritis... i haven't heard of that before... is it similar to rheumatoid arthritis?

Which over the counter or "down home" remedies do put the most stock in ?

So my question to you is, how much of a factor do you believe that allergans or other things in the environment play in arthritis (yours or others)?

to be honest I`m on a complete regime of medications (9 tablets a day everyday), and put little stock in any of them, although the daily 300mg Alopurinol and the Piroxicam (20mg) helps a little, yes I have Gout too, another form of arthritis.

the 30mg Codeine tabs that I`m suposed to take 2 off help a little bit with the pain but them I`m totally useless and out my tree anyway after taking them, so I don`t bother.

it gets complicated too as I have an Ankylosing bone disease that causes bone growths to form randomly and started in my cervical vertebrae and working its way down my spine, Ribs and other joints.

I`ve had Rheumatiod since I was child (mostly in my knees and Hips), and have Osteo in the bones I`ve broken over the years too (quite a few).

BUT! Beer and not giving a Sh!t helps ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I remembered correctly but I thought I read somewhere that fish do have glucosamine in them. As a hobby weightlifter I choose to eat more servings of fish around hard workouts so I get the benefits of any antioxidants plus maintain my joint health with the glucosamine all the while getting more protein with less bad fat.

Now that was a nice run-on sentence!