Electroysis with Washing Soda

AnanthVV

Hello, I am trying to use washing soda as an electrolyte in electrolysis. I just want to make sure no harmful chemicals will be released in the chemical reaction . I just to be cautious since last time I got chorine gas and I freaked out. Will the electrolysis of washing soda release anything I should be aware about. Please reply if you have any information.

Thank you - Ananth Vivekanand

Thank you, John Cuthber. I did a little more research on the electrolysis of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and found that it also produces copper oxide (which is what the previous post was talking about). It will have green strands in the water and it will make a slightly odd smell.

while doing electrolysis with copper electrodes and baking soda electrolyte to make copper oxide, it makes a slightly odd smell and burning the gas by putting a lighter above it makes a dark black smoke. also there are both green strands and black lumps formin in the water. im assuming that the green is copper oxide (what im after) but is the black stuff or gas dangerous? can anyone tell me what the gas is?

I want to know if the same things will happen with washing soda. And what actually happens to the chemical sodium carbonate?